Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35 Chevy conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 Chevy conversion

I just picked up an LS1/4L60E and I want to drop it into my 35 chevy. I'm not exactly sure where to start since I don't know anything about the LS1. I suppose that I need to flash the computer, but I'm not sure what else I need to do. Anyone have a checklist or some items that you could share so that I can start to get organized?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Re: 35 Chevy conversion

I don't have a checklist but it sounds like a neat project.

I'd start off by doing two things, working on that checklist but also figuring out how to mount it all in your car.

Check out the sticky with the list of all the conversions in case there's one in there that's close to your planned setup.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks!

I'm not too worried about mounting it as I have the body off the frame and I am wrapping up cleaning up the frame. The 4L60E pretty much mounts like a 700R4 I think and I can just mock up a place on the frame for the motor mounts.

Mostly I'm wondering what "conversion" needs to happen with the wiring and computer to be able to power it up and get it started. I'm pretty much building the car aroung the drivetrain, so I just need to know what to do to make it breath!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the easiest thing would be to get the engine harness AND the under hood harness with the 2 fuse junction boxes. That is what I did and just hook the battery cables from that harness right to the battery and eliminate circuits that you will not use. I am running now and still have all the extra wires taped up and tucked away until I get the energy to remove it all. But, it sure is nice having all those extra red and pink 12 volt circuits there when you want to add something. Which I seem to do alot of. Anyway, if you have both harnesses then you just plug them together and add 12 volts and turn the key.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Cool!

You know I was thinking......I have a 69 camaro convertible currently with a 383/2004R....Maybe I'll sell the 35 and put the LS1 into my ragtop!!

Any tips on converting a 69 camaro convertible?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why not. I took a perfectly running big block 427/TH400 running 12.00 at 114mph out in favor of the LS1/6 Speed combo. I think I just like doing the projects. 6th motor in 7 years!!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Teching In

How about some tips then....What was a pain, who reprogrammed your PCM, did you use headers, etc, etc...
Old 05-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

It is definitely easiest to have both harnesses. I went one step further and got the dash too. Now everything will just plug in(hopefully). Buy ls1edit and tune it yourself or have someone do it for you. Looking back on it I would recommend getting an entire wrecked car. There are a lot of pieces that would come in handy. And price wise you can get the whole car for not much more than just the motor.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

HI guys,
I am trying to help out a friend that is considering this same project with a 5.3. I am surprised there aren't more topics on this car! Are there many of these cars with the LS motors in them? I've searched a few times in other places on other sites and haven't found much info.
He is wondering what kind of obstacles he will see in mounting this in the car. Which headers/ manifolds etc. The wiring should be fairly easy now that everyone is stuffing these into everything Are there swap kits for this car or will he just have to find the correct selection of factory parts. Is there much fab work involved? The trans will be no problem.
The car has a 454/TH350 currently.
Thanks in advance,
David
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Heres a link to a LS install in a 37 Ford.....all the info you need is in the thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-install.html

Ken
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ken thanks for coming to his rescue with your build thread. I doubt that David would get much help from the guys in an 8-year-old thread.

David, Ken's link to his '37 Ford project should answer most of your questions. Many of us really enjoyed watching Ken build his '37.

Mike
Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Mike.......6000 miles and going strong......LS engines are worth all the effort......

Ken
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Frame-doctor
HI guys,
I am trying to help out a friend that is considering this same project with a 5.3. I am surprised there aren't more topics on this car! Are there many of these cars with the LS motors in them? I've searched a few times in other places on other sites and haven't found much info.
He is wondering what kind of obstacles he will see in mounting this in the car. Which headers/ manifolds etc. The wiring should be fairly easy now that everyone is stuffing these into everything Are there swap kits for this car or will he just have to find the correct selection of factory parts. Is there much fab work involved? The trans will be no problem.
The car has a 454/TH350 currently.
Thanks in advance,
David
Got any pics of said car? If it's already got a big block in it, then a 5.3 should fit withb no problem, since you most likley have the firewall set back already. I'm running stock F-body exhaust manifolds and LS1 front accessories in my '33, so yours should be about the same frame width in front. When I set my car up, it was going to have a 5.3 which is easier because the throttle body is farther back and higher than the LS1, which gives you more clearance around the fan/radiator. You'll probably want to switch to an F-body oil pan because the truck pan will most likley be way too low for comfort.

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Mike.......6000 miles and going strong......LS engines are worth all the effort......
Hey Ken, good to see you still hang around this site. Going to DesMoines?

Last edited by ls1nova71; 06-30-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for chiming in guys, I was wondering if I was going to see any replies with the age of the post.
Last night I did some measuring on the car the best I could. It looks as though it should fit, but snug. I was concerned that it was going to involve major surgery of the car. It's a rolling project at this time, but at a dollar a mile to drive, it sits a lot. He really wants an idea of minimum investment to get the 5.3 in and running. He hasn't bought it yet though.

You'll probably want to switch to an F-body oil pan because the truck pan will most likley be way too low for comfort.
I noticed this and was curious if the f-body would fix it.

The motor/ trans is out of an '01 Tahoe 70K miles for $1000, complete with harnesses, ecm, exhaust, drive shaft, transfer case!

Anyone want a 454/350 auto? $1700 OBO
Thanks again, I'll try to get some pics of it soon.
David
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Frame-doctor

I noticed this and was curious if the f-body would fix it.

The motor/ trans is out of an '01 Tahoe 70K miles for $1000, complete with harnesses, ecm, exhaust, drive shaft, transfer case!
The F-body pan should be the solution since it's the shallowest pan, it hangs down no lower than the bottom of the bellhousing, and you will most likley be nowhere near the front crossmember, so that won't be an issue.

The price on the motor doesn't seenm out of line, but if I were you or your friend, I would try to find one out of a 2wd truck. The transfercase can be removed, and tailhousing replaced on the 4wd one, but it's alot of work, and may end up costing more in the long run.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Well I talked to my friend yesterday, he said he decided not to go through with the engine swap. He said he just doesn't drive it enough to spend anymore money on it right now. I have this bookmarked in case he changes his mind.
Thanks again,
David

Quick Reply: 35 Chevy conversion