Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpi vs LSx

Old 07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tpi vs LSx

I have decided on fuel injection for my 86 monte. I've been considering TPI for some time now but after spending time on this site, an LS series swap is looking very tempting. I understand that the LS swap will be more expensive (although I would probably go with a 5.3/4L60E to keep the costs down). But would the LS swap take a great deal longer than TPI to complete, and what about the degree of difficulty?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a thread entitled "g-body swap thread" here. The LS1 is probably easier to swap than the TPI in terms of wiring because almost all of the wiring is self contained. Since the Gen III/IV engines aren't exactly the same as the GenI engine, you'll need custom motor mounts. You can either make them yourself or get them custom made.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and try to go with the LS motor over the TPI. As technologically advanced as the LS motor is, its a ton simpler than the TPI set up in my opinion.

As was said above, the TPI wiring is kind of a pain. The LS wiring is almost a standalone harness in itself. In fact, if you use the LS fuse blocks, it pretty much is plug and play. Give it some grounds and battery power, hook it up to your ignition switch and it'll crank/start.

The LS motors and the 5.3 are becoming less expensive these days. Plenty of them around and that means the price is going down. Just try to get something as complete as you can. A donor car is recommended...because even though it might cost alittle more, you have everything you need, you can see how it comes apart, and you can usually part out the donor and make some dough back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tpi vs LSx