Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/tranny mounting question

Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine/tranny mounting question

I am putting a LS1/T56 into a 79 Camaro. The motor and trans are in the car right now. I am using homemade S&P mounts with the stock SBC clam shells. In the process of making a trans crossmember now. My question is what is the best way to get the motor/trans squared up in the car? Can I just measure from the frame rails to the tailshaft of the trans?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The SBC mounts with adapter already place the engine and the small ofset, what you need to do know is place the crossmember. You want it so that the trans has a little bit of down angle, around 2degrees. There are some good tips on doing that at the S&P site. Get yourself a cheap angle finder, it will help a lot. On our car, 4.5 deg of down angle when the car was on stands came out to 2 degrees down angle with the car all back together.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got an angle finder (I work in Tool and Die). My question is how do I center the rear of the trans side to side. Right now it favors the drivers side of the trans tunnel by about an inch. But the rear end isnt centered in the tunnel either. So I dont know.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assuming the engine mounts are fixed...ie the engine is not moveable at the mount location. I like to make a straight line from the center of the crank pulley to the center of the pinion on the differential. The center of the trans output shaft or the driveshaft ujoint should be on this line. A couple of straight edges, 2x4s, or whatever can extend the line below the engine and tranny to get you clearance. I recently did a swap and lined the driveline in both planes...the vehicle is unbelievable smooth...better than new. Good luck
Old 09-15-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, I'll try that.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

You want to ensure that the pinion and the trans output are not in line with each other, or your u-joints will not work right. Your inch to the driver side seems pretty drastic however, as you pinion is already offset. These truck guys have a decent writeup...
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml
S&P also has some good explanations on their site, it is just hard to find anything on there.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67rsss
You want to ensure that the pinion and the trans output are not in line with each other, or your u-joints will not work right. Your inch to the driver side seems pretty drastic however, as you pinion is already offset. These truck guys have a decent writeup...
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml
S&P also has some good explanations on their site, it is just hard to find anything on there.
does not the driveshaft take care of the ujoints...ie if the joints are fabricated correctly on the driveshaft then you cannot get it wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine/tranny mounting question