Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch master cylinder size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch master cylinder size?

After lots of bleeding and swearing and dumping a bunch of fluid on my garage floor I finally came the conclusion that the stock celica clutch master cylinder just won't disengage the stock camaro slave cylinder. The 5/8" bore just isn't enough. I get about an inch of pedal travel and I'm wondering if a 7/8" bore master will work or will I need to go up to a 1" master?

Before you ask, the celica doesn't have room for the stock camaro master, it would protrude about an inch and a half into the wheel well and I didn't think this would be good for the life of the master. I'm looking into Tilton or Wilwood universal setups as they seem to have just what I'm looking for, I just need to know what size to get. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

we (the 240 guys) run the 3/4 wilwood unit. it works awesome.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 3/4" or 7/8" will work.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Try an 87 Land cruiser clutch master. It's a 3/4 bore and fit right in my 82 Supra after changing out a mounting stud from my original. Clutch works perfect with it. Not sure what year your Celica is.

Keith
Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Ooh, if it fit an '82 supra it'll probably fit mine perfectly. I have an '85 Celica GTS so our cars are identical from the firewall back. Do you have your swap up and running? If so I'd love to see some pictures.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Yup it should be a near drop in. You will have to open up the hole in the firewall maybe a 1/16" and swap the long mounting stud from your original master over to the Landcruiser one. Other than that just bolt it in and adjust the pedal freeplay. I have about 1000mi. on my swap and it is a blast. The torque from the LS1 is amazing compared to the 5MGE that came out. I have pics posted over at celicasupra.com
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=29684

The second picuture shows the clutch master. Looks identical to the original except for the bore size!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

That's awesome, you have a lot more room in the engine bay than I do and that lets you have more room in the trans tunnel as well. I moved my shifter back a solid six inches and stuffed the engine back as far as it would go in the engine bay, I also lowered the crossmember two inches but didn't have to cut it. I'm just sorting out some little things like a power steering leak on the rack (not the fault of the LS1) and routing all the wiring to make it look nice. Oh yeah, and getting gauges, that's the biggest hurdle I have now that you solved the clutch thing for me.

Quick Reply: Clutch master cylinder size?