Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to get a balancer installer

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Default where to get a balancer installer

i think i can get a 3 jaw rev. puller from grangers, but cant find a balancer installer, all mine have american threads
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are referring to installing the balancer on an LS1 you use the bolt to put it on there and no tool is required. Make sure to get the longer bolt however.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be carefull on using a longer bolt as a installer. Use a few washer and a lot of grease if you do.

A long threaded rod or bolt with a Nut and washers would be better that just a longer bolt.

I have read thread of bolts breaking, stripping thread and that the long bolt cause incorrect Torque sittings. But then again, many have successfully use the Longer bolt without any problems... just something to consider.

If not there are many manufactors of the installer tool, rental place have them, Autozone, Kragne an other rents or sells them. I used the Snap-on tool, worked much better than the long bolt.

I always say, use the right to for the right jobs and you will not have problem or have to do it again..
Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my motor was on a stand, I thought I'd try the simple method first, and it worked out just fine. Put the balancer in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. It nearly slipped right on; gentle tapping using a wooden block fully seated it the last 1/4". Yes, do grease the crank first.

Andys
Old 10-17-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont use your bolt. a long threaded rod is a better oftion. Here is another way to go
Balancer install tool
Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wooden block method is fine. I have done it multiple times at the shop and used it for years on small blocks. you just have to use a little common sense when you do it. Stop when it bottoms out and all is well.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Word of warning... using the wooden block or any other banging on the balancer can result in clearance issue with the crank thrush clearance.

In assembling a motor of anytype and checking the clearance of the crank, tapping on the end of the crank is used to add clearance as needed. It doesn't take much to add a few .001". Results could be early failure in wear and lower oil pressure and a few other unwanted items. Yes, they may be very mininum in HP lost, but why lost any if you don't have too.

In most case it is small but for those who do value every bit of power and perfection.. it is a lot. Any yes.. people have been doing it for ages.. (I too have done it on daily driver type of engine, but will not do so on my performance engines

Just use the correct tool for the job.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

I'm never one to make statements of finality (I don't know everything about everything), but I've never seen or heard of anyone tap the end of the crank to add end play clearance "as needed." End play must be machined/ground in correctly. Nor have I heard that some gentle tapping would create an issue; think about the countless numbers of pilot bearings that have been installed by not so gentle tapping.

Andy1
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed my asp underdrive pulley yesterday with a block of wood and a BFH. 30 second job on the engine stand.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

thanks guys-i ordered one from 618hawk
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just browsing the tools section.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/391883-new-crank-dampener-installation-tool-pics.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where to get a balancer installer