Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 nova ss LS1 swap help....

Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1967 nova ss LS1 swap help....

hello all!! new to this page, but it looks like it is helping everyone so i wanted to jump on the band wagon with help through my swap. got an ls1 out of a 2001 z28. if anyone can give me some tips or tricks it will help. i have everything. motor, tran(4L60), computer , wire harness. i have not started yet but soon. the front end is stock, and i'm getting that i have to change the front clip. is this true? or can i just change to a rack and pinion to get rid of the steering box that is suppose to be in the way. i am going to leave the motor stock but want to clean up the look of the motor way of the emission's. i have some books coming on how to do the swap but it always help from people that have had problems and can tell me what to look out for.
i have done alot of searching about these motors. so i know a lil about the vats and the motor mounts adapters. once again if you got any tips or tricks, it will help. going to try to post pictures once i know how. it took me an hour just to find out how to post here. hanks for any help
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/63%20NOVA.pdf

Above link is with a aftermarket clip.

If you are not already, you should be a member or www.stevesnovasite.com

You can do a swap in a stock clipped car, but you will have to do quite a bit of fab work. I am currently working on my 63 and will be fitting a 5.3/4l60 tomorrow. With a stock clip, you can use a GTO front sump pan, it will clear with the correct mount adapters. Exhaust is an issue, as you will have to build headers, no room for stock manifolds. The rest is pretty easy.

Jack
Old 10-09-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are several swaps detailed in here for first gen F-Bodies, while not identical, a lot of the problems you will run into show up in them as well. If I recall, your car uses a different subframe than the F-body.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by babydeuce

Above link is with a aftermarket clip.

If you are not already, you should be a member or www.stevesnovasite.com

You can do a swap in a stock clipped car, but you will have to do quite a bit of fab work. I am currently working on my 63 and will be fitting a 5.3/4l60 tomorrow. With a stock clip, you can use a GTO front sump pan, it will clear with the correct mount adapters. Exhaust is an issue, as you will have to build headers, no room for stock manifolds. The rest is pretty easy.

Jack

hows your coming? i have yet to see an ls1 in a stock front end nova. are you doing a rack and pinion kit?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ACONLP
hows your coming? i have yet to see an ls1 in a stock front end nova. are you doing a rack and pinion kit?
I actually test fitted the combo about 2 weeks ago. Several issues to address such as water pump outlets (rad and heater hoses) having clearance issues with the shock tower. I had issues with the blower motor and the coil pack brackets, and a few issues with trans to tunnel fit. After looking things over, I decided to move the engine forward 1" by modifying the Transdapt brackets. I have everything setup to another fit test, but I wont get to it for another couple of weeks. Funny enough, the only thing that I did not have problems with was the clearance on the GTO pan and the steering linkage....go figure! I will run stock steering for now.

Here are a few pics from the first test fit....... http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557624863pacNjI
Jack
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Launching!

You know whats crazy! I was reading through this thread and clicked on:

To see MY CAR!!! I think that is crazy. I bought it from a gentleman out of texas and had no idea it was a previous S&P car. If anyone needs more detailed shots I would be glad to help out. The car is partially taken apart right now for some winter upgrades but the swap items are still in place. I will be pulling the engine for a freshed up this weekend so let me know if you need to see some pictures. Thanks!

Jamin
Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the heater hose nipples on the water pump, you can pull them out and tap for angled AN fittings. S&P lists sizes on their site. They also sell angled swivel thermostat housings to help with clearance issues.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67rsss
For the heater hose nipples on the water pump, you can pull them out and tap for angled AN fittings. S&P lists sizes on their site. They also sell angled swivel thermostat housings to help with clearance issues.
so your front is all stock. what blower are you talking about. supercharger? and the heater hoses hit the shock tower. with the gto oil pan, you just had to swap it out, what else did you have to do with it.? with you moving your motor up and inch did that fix your trans problem not fitting in the tunnel?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ACONLP
so your front is all stock. what blower are you talking about. supercharger? and the heater hoses hit the shock tower. with the gto oil pan, you just had to swap it out, what else did you have to do with it.? with you moving your motor up and inch did that fix your trans problem not fitting in the tunnel?
Blower motor on the firewall for the heater....LOL

As far as the fit, I have not gotten a chance to put it back into the car with the new mounts. I will report my progress once I do....
GTO oil pan is a piece of cake! Pan and Pickup, swap it out and you are done! You will need a new oil dipstick and tube, and the GTO pan does not use the block dipstick.

67rsss, I know about the S&P pieces, I have a paper catalog, but they want an ungodly amount of money for that crap! My plan for the heater hose nipples was to pull them and tap for "AN" fittings.

Jack
Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Blower motor on the firewall for the heater....LOL

As far as the fit, I have not gotten a chance to put it back into the car with the new mounts. I will report my progress once I do....
GTO oil pan is a piece of cake! Pan and Pickup, swap it out and you are done! You will need a new oil dipstick and tube, and the GTO pan does not use the block dipstick.

67rsss, I know about the S&P pieces, I have a paper catalog, but they want an ungodly amount of money for that crap! My plan for the heater hose nipples was to pull them and tap for "AN" fittings.

Jack

oh $hit the blower motor. that is funny. lol duuuuuu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 nova ss LS1 swap help....