Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb Conversion MAP sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Conversion MAP sensor

What map sensor is everyone using that has converted to a Carb intake setup?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had the carb setup, I used the one that came with the Edelbrock intake. I'm not sure what p/n or brand it was.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

can someone explain why you need a map sensor when you go carb?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

We didnt use one with our setup, MSD says this about it
MAP TABLE (MAPtbl)
Note: In order to take advantage of a vacuum advance or retard, a MAP sensor is required.
Note: When plotting a timing curve by using the RPM Table or MAP Table through your PC, there
must NOT be a Timing Module installed. Power-up with a module installed will override the
saved timing plot.
This is a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) chart. It gives you the capability of modifying the timing
curve based on manifold pressure (vacuum or boost). A curve can be created from the MAP Advance
Curve graph on the upper right of the screen. It can also be set with the Hand Held Monitor. The
chart allows you to map out an advance curve based on manifold vacuum (much like the vacuum
advance on a mechanical distributor).
To create a map, simply position the mouse at a point on the chart and right click to add a dot. By
moving the mouse over this point and a left click, the dot changes to red (active) and you can
move it around the map.
Note: The timing has minimum and maximum limits that are set in the Data Editor Menu. These
settings include the cumulative value of any vacuum advance or retard as well as the Switch
Retard if activated.
MAP SENSOR SELECT
Allows the selection of a 1, 2 or 3-bar MAP sensor. This setting should be set to match the MAP
Sensor in use: 1-bar (0-15 psia), 2-bar (0-30 psia), 3-bar (0-45 psia).
Old 11-08-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the msd box on my brothers s10 lq9 but havent powered it up yet. I was planning on plotting my own curve for the truck and using the map. Is there a base timing curve to start tuning from if you dont use the chips or do you start from scratch? I was thinking if there is no base setting to start tuning from I might try plugging in the module powering the box then removing the chip and saving the curve to the box to tune from. Any input??
Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

I was told that you could use the map sensor to help save on fuel when your running highway speeds. At highway speed (say 70mph) at 2000 rpm you could pull timing back to save your gas mileage. I'm not sure if this is completely correct because I have not looked into it enough to see if this is possible. Just a thought!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUPERWAKE502
I was told that you could use the map sensor to help save on fuel when your running highway speeds. At highway speed (say 70mph) at 2000 rpm you could pull timing back to save your gas mileage. I'm not sure if this is completely correct because I have not looked into it enough to see if this is possible. Just a thought!!!
I always thought you ADDED MORE timing in light load situations, like cruising down the highway. Step on the pedal (higher load), vacuum goes down, timing should be taken out.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't use one. Much like adding a carb, or carbs, you're just contributing to the complexity of the tune.. The more parts that weren't designed to be used in conjuction with one another, the more that can, and will, go wrong...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually the map sensor acts like the vacuum advance cannister did on an old style hei or points distributor. Not too much complexity there. Yeah you have to tune it in with a laptop but the same would have to be done for fuel injection. I would say use the map sensor if its a street car. It will advance the timing at light load cruise speeds and save gas. Some of the new hemi's we have at the dealership run almost 40deg advance while cruising. I just noticed yesterday while road tsting one with the scanner. BTW guys are puttin carbs on those things now too and like the ls motors are making comprable power torque and mileage with the "toilet" on top. Now Im sure since I just said that some fuel injection guy is gonna get his panties in a bunch and cry. But oh well.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

No crying, just lying about the mileage on your part...

Power has and always has been even till forced induction is used.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No lying here. Note I said comprable mileage not exact mileage I agree the carb will suffer as far as mileage probably 2-3 mpg with a good tune. IMO the 2 overdrive gears in the t-56 make up for any mileage concerns one would have. On the upside, throttle response will be slightly better with the carb. So its a give and take there. I was def interested by your forced induction comment. Do you have any links to information supporting this?? If so I would be interested in seeing them as I plan to go forced induction and have not seen any writeups supporting this claim.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

10+ years of drag/fastest street car racing experience. Throttle response is another bogus claim..as was the mileage.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Throttle response is fine in my car, run the map sensor. I think someone doesnt know how to tune a carb and there a little butt hurt.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

10.60's when my car was 3600lbs and a 4150 style carb......... Then I grew up and went EFI....

So I know you're not typing to me...

And he said TR was better, not "fine"... and since you opted for the lazy route, I'm not sure how you would know how it compares to EFI....
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i have a quest. about the msd-6010 box-i am going to start out with a carb, run the 6010 ign, and cant seem to find much about the msd-60101 wiring harness, if its needed with the box, or just a replacement shorter harness, not needed if box is in a remote loc.
also, it looks like when i (and if) change over to f/i, i can use the same box with a 8886 wiring harness to fire the f/i, then when (and if) i switch over to a 4l80e trans, i will switch over to a comp diff harness/ecu
i know, i could use f/i and 4l80e at first, but not what i want to do, as i have problems with computers, as witnessed by one hanging in my garage with 15 shots thru it from an old assult rifle
plus im running a procharger, and know how to tune a carb for them
Old 11-13-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So no real evidence to back your claim. Thats what I expected. If you hate carbs on ls motors so much why dont you stay out of carb threads and keep that hole between your cheeks shut. SOME PEOPLE DONT WANT EFI.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i have a quest. about the msd-6010 box-i am going to start out with a carb, run the 6010 ign, and cant seem to find much about the msd-60101 wiring harness, if its needed with the box, or just a replacement shorter harness, not needed if box is in a remote loc.
also, it looks like when i (and if) change over to f/i, i can use the same box with a 8886 wiring harness to fire the f/i, then when (and if) i switch over to a 4l80e trans, i will switch over to a comp diff harness/ecu
i know, i could use f/i and 4l80e at first, but not what i want to do, as i have problems with computers, as witnessed by one hanging in my garage with 15 shots thru it from an old assult rifle
plus im running a procharger, and know how to tune a carb for them
The box comes with eveything needed to install including software except map sensor. There was enough harness length to mount the box on the pass fenderwell of my brothers S10. Hope this helps. Have fun with your carbed ls!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I didnt use the map sensor in mine either.Never will lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

The msd-60101 harness is just an extension harness for running the msd box on a LS (LS6 and LS2 i think) motor with the cam position sensor on the front timing cover. If you remote mount your box close enough you shouldn't have to use the extension harness.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QSPres
10.60's when my car was 3600lbs and a 4150 style carb......... Then I grew up and went EFI....

So I know you're not typing to me...

And he said TR was better, not "fine"... and since you opted for the lazy route, I'm not sure how you would know how it compares to EFI....
10.60s is the new 12.60s though.

That's all my car does(10.60-10.70), and I won't be impressed until it goes single digits.

Quick Reply: Carb Conversion MAP sensor