Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Mustang LS2 swap in progress...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Mustang LS2 swap in progress...

I'll post my progress as I get things done, but today I just wanted to get the motor/tranny in the car and see how it fits. '07 LS2 with a M12 out of a '05 GTO. I put a small FTI cam in the motor while I had it out of the car. That's about all it will ever get since I'm wanting to really drive the car and plan on hooking up the A/C. My car has a Maximum Motorsport K-member and I used 4.6 motor mounts. I worked them over with a cut-off wheel and the welder to try and get the motor as low and far back as possible. The MM K-member is really not a great choice for the swap, but I have everything else MM and it is a very strong peice. I think I have everything just about where I want it, I just need to "massage" a few spots in the trans. tunnel.

Here's a pic of the car before. Big brakes and a suspension for turning corners.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice car... if i ever hear back from my bodyshop im hoping to paint mine silver this winter.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Notchback.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

cant wait to get mine finished looks good
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Launching!

y
ea it will be a real car once u get the bowtie power in it. i love the look of a trunk mustang but hate ford motors i bout got my buddy finally to put a chevy in his stang going from 396 windsor to a 565 bb chevy
Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 AM
8 Second Club

is that a panhard bar attatched to the left rear shock??

man does that car look sweet!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Teching In

/subscribed

you're my inspiration bro.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What five lug conversion are you running up front?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good, if you need any help send me a PM, my mustang is 99% done.
Phil
Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
is that a panhard bar attatched to the left rear shock??

man does that car look sweet!

Yeah, it has a MM panhard bar and a torque arm among other things. Pretty much everything suspension wise came from MM...

Originally Posted by 842ta
What five lug conversion are you running up front?
Just stock cobra stuff. 13-inch rotors in the front and 11.65 vented in the rear.

Got a little more done today, but wasted alot of time with the motor mounts. I didn't really like the way the modifed stock 4.6 mounts were looking in my 5.0 k-member so I am working on a new setup. I'm still using the top part of the 4.6 mount that bolts to the engine, but I went with something totally different on the bottom to attach the motor to the k-member. I'll get some pictures up of the finished product tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Car does look great and will be a hell of a street car when finished. Looking forward to more pics.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Very cool! How much does it weigh?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by scv8
Very cool! How much does it weigh?

No idea what it will weigh, but I'm hoping to get it close to 3000 without me in it. A lot of the suspension stuff I have adds weight to the car. The k-member isn't even that much lighter than a stock peice.

Got the motor mounts just like I want them today. I used the upper part of the 4.6 mounts and went to the local parts store and found some other motor mounts I could use. I ened up getting these mounts that have a 1/2 stud coming out of both sides and they are offset from each other about an inch. They are for a 67-72 Duster/Demon/Dart and the best part is they were only $2.99 each. I'm pretty sure Energy Suspension makes a urethane version and I know Moroso makes a solid version if I feel like going with something stronger.

So you could find a set of worn-out trashed 4.6 mounts and just use the top part with these and have less than $10 in parts. That is at least one option if you already have a 5.0 k-member and don't want to change it out to a 4.6 version.

Here's the driver side after I was done.

And in the car...

Here's the passenger side. I had to add a little "shelf" to the mount to get the motor level, but that's just because the driver/passenger side motor pads on the k-member are different heights.

And the passenger side in the car.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

That is a clean looking LX. I have been thinking about this same swap to use as my daily driver.

Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got some more work done this weekend. I removed the factory ford engine harness/ecu/instrument cluster and made sure that all my lights, horn, and other accesories were still working. I had to remove one pin in the plug that went to the horn, but other than that, it came right out in one peice. All of the lights are still working, but now when you turn the key to the "on" position I get a strange sequence of beeps from under the dash that probably has to do with the ecu not being present. No big deal, I'll get around that later with my new GM harness.

I got the tranny crossmember finshed up and installed in the car finally. I spent a lot of time using the stock Mustang cross-member making it longer and giving it a bigger "hump" for the exhaust on the drivers side. I also used the stock GTO trany mount. It almost fit as is, but it needed to be mounted further back then stock. Here's some picture of what I've got so far...

Modified mustang crossmember

Installed under the car. I made some brackets and welded them to the sub-fram connectors.

Motor with tranny hooked up in the car.

How close the motor is to the firewall

Coil to brake booster clearance. I was worried about this one because I'm running a big SN95 booster for my brakes and thought it would be very close. I was right, but it fits...

I've got to pull everything back out once some more parts arrive for the clutch linkage and the remote bleeder. I also ordered the new wiring harness from GM and I'm excited to see how it looks/works. It's the new harness kit they had at SEMA that came out just the other day for the x58 motors. I ordered p/n:19166568 from Scoggins Dickey which should come with the E67 ecu, stand alone engine harness, throttle pedal, and O2 sensors. If it works as advertised, it's a smokin deal for what it is....
Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

nice job
Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lookin good!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks VERY good ! I'm getting closer to paint time on mine too.....
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I just need radiator and injectors and run fuel lines to fuel rails.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Awesome looking car! You've got almost the exact same game plan that I do for my swap (when I get around to doing it). I plan on having the A/C system hooked up and driving it daily back and forth to work so I'll need to have good brakes and a sway bar. Have you figured out how you're going to do the sway bar with the A/C compressor in the way? Also, how low does your modified motor mounts get the engine in the car? It's great to see that the stock trans crossmember will work with a little modification. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: Another Mustang LS2 swap in progress...