Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Jeep TJ GM motor swap :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another Jeep TJ GM motor swap :)

I decided to go a different route for a new project. The whole sports car thing has actually become boring to me and I'll be selling my vette this spring to make way for my new found interest - rock crawling

I started with a 2001 4.0L 5spd Jeep Wrangler this past June:
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...=DSCN05531.jpg

Not being able to leave anything stock, I quickly performed the following:
Full Traction 4" short arm lift kit
1" body lift
OME nitro shocks
Advance Adapters Slip yoke eliminator
Tom Wood's CV driveshaft
16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic lock wheels
33" x 12.5" Super Swamper SSR tires
Rubicon Express rear adjustable upper control arms
Rubicon Express rear adjustable track bar
Steering box brace
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN0563.jpg
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSC00090.jpg

Then I took the Jeep out on my first event with the local 4x4 club to Rausch Creek up in PA. HOLY CRAP that was fun and far more addictive then anything I've ever done with all my years of F-body's and Vettes. I only wish I had gotten into this stuff long ago

So shortly after that event I decided what I really wanted was to go a little more hardcore. So I bought an LH6 5.3L engine/4L60E combo out of a '05 Envoy. I then ordered PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads, TSP 224/224 cam, LS7 lifters (to replace the DOD types), push rods, etc.. I wanted to stay moderate with the cam choice.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN0897.jpg
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN0899.jpg
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSC00101.jpg

Also ordered and received so far:

Autometer ultra-lite gauges (full sweep where possible)
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN1020.jpg

Advance Adapters three core AL radiator
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN1032.jpg

RCI fuel cell - will go behind rear seat
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN1009.jpg

TCI trans cooler
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=DSCN1007.jpg

Other parts received:

Walbro 255 in tank pump
Lokar 16" auto shifter
auto style brake pedal
fuse block / misc automotive wiring spools
Helms manuals
Advance Adapters 4L60E to NP231 transfer case adapter kit
Advance Adapters Gen3 motor mount kit
Advance Adapters TC mount kit

Stuff I need to get on order (post vette sale):

Atlas 4 speed transfer case
Custom length Tom Woods driveshafts (won't know what I need til I get everything installed)
RE or Clayton long arm suspension kit - stretched of course
Solid HP Dana 60 axles front and rear
OX or ARB lockers front and rear
37" Pitt Bull Rockers on H1 Hummer beadlocks
Full cage
Warn winch
Front and rear bumpers
tube bumpers
body armor
Old 12-25-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good looking jeep.
Much nicer to look at pics instead of links
Like this...

Definitely post some pics when the swap begins
Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I was going to, then remembered some people were limited on bandwidth I'm going to slap the H/C on tomorrow and begin removing the front clip on the Jeep. Still trying to find a header set that'll work.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default 4x4

I have a friend in NY that is doing the same thing, he is the one selling me the Camaro, and he is putting an LS6 in to the yellow Jeep you see behind me, he just started fabing it the last few months its coming along nicely
Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kjvail1204
I have a friend in NY that is doing the same thing, he is the one selling me the Camaro, and he is putting an LS6 in to the yellow Jeep you see behind me, he just started fabing it the last few months its coming along nicely
Cool. Tell him to post up some pics.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default Pictures

Ill see if I can get my hands on his link to his photo page and post it up here....
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking into this swap for my 97 TJ as well. (either a 4.8 or 5.3) Do you have any idea of the difference in the length of the engine/trans/tcase compared to the stock 6cyl and 5 speed?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rhino
I'm looking into this swap for my 97 TJ as well. (either a 4.8 or 5.3) Do you have any idea of the difference in the length of the engine/trans/tcase compared to the stock 6cyl and 5 speed?
I won't know for sure until I get it all in there for the test fit, but from talking with others it's around 5" shorter overall than the 4.0/5spd when using 5.3/4L60E. Also around 100lbs lighter than the Jeep's setup when using an all AL LSx. If using a truck motor that's iron block based, it should be right around the same weight as what's coming out of the Jeep.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Teching In

my swap came out to be about the same length overall. I didn't need any driveshaft modifications. My original drivetrain was the 4.0L/AX-15/NP231 w/ SYE. I swapped in a
LH6 and 4L60E. I used the AA engine mounts and t-case adapter.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98TJ
my swap came out to be about the same length overall. I didn't need any driveshaft modifications. My original drivetrain was the 4.0L/AX-15/NP231 w/ SYE. I swapped in a
LH6 and 4L60E. I used the AA engine mounts and t-case adapter.
That's great news. I'm using the LH6 as well. Hopefully I'll be as lucky. I will be starting out with the 231, but will be moving to the Atlas 4spd eventually, so I'll probably end up having to mod driveshaft lengths.

I'm still out in the garage as I type this. I just got the cam installed and heads are ready to go on once the LS2 lifter guides come in tomorrow. I ditched the DOD lifters for a set of LS7's.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
That's great news. I'm using the LH6 as well. Hopefully I'll be as lucky. I will be starting out with the 231, but will be moving to the Atlas 4spd eventually, so I'll probably end up having to mod driveshaft lengths.

I'm still out in the garage as I type this. I just got the cam installed and heads are ready to go on once the LS2 lifter guides come in tomorrow. I ditched the DOD lifters for a set of LS7's.
Awesome man!

Who are you going to have do the drive lines? If you're going to have someone build them I would recommend J.E. Reel drive lines. Great work, and customer service. He'll make you any style and length you need. What u-joints do you plan on running? I went with 1350's. I was going to do 1410's, but the kick *** yokes I found from driveleintech.com with built in tabs to help keep the caps on were too nice to pass up. Plus being a bit smaller it keeps them off the rocks a lot more....

Let me know if you need some contact info for either company.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Thats gotta be fun starting with a nice "newer" vehicle, and adding all new parts and building it the way you want.

What local 4x4 group did you go to R.C. with??? Im up at R.C. all the time. Me and a few buddies go up and just mess around...we dont do comps or group rides or anything.... Too bad Paragon was shut down. Im assuming since you just recently went on your first ride, that you hadn't been to Paragon? That place blew R.C. out of the water as far as Im concerned. If you had fun at R.C....you would have REALLY had fun at Paragon.

Good luck with it and definetly post more pics!

J.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

That's exactly what I hear from all the local guys. I've only been to RC so far and some local spots. The club down here is called Hard Rock Crawlers. Hopefully by the next time I get back up to RC I'll have a tow rig. It was nerveracking driving 3hrs up there and wondering if I'd break something. Especially in stock trim.

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Nice! Thats gotta be fun starting with a nice "newer" vehicle, and adding all new parts and building it the way you want.

What local 4x4 group did you go to R.C. with??? Im up at R.C. all the time. Me and a few buddies go up and just mess around...we dont do comps or group rides or anything.... Too bad Paragon was shut down. Im assuming since you just recently went on your first ride, that you hadn't been to Paragon? That place blew R.C. out of the water as far as Im concerned. If you had fun at R.C....you would have REALLY had fun at Paragon.

Good luck with it and definetly post more pics!

J.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98blackSS

So all you have to do on the LH6 is replace the DOD lifters with LS7 lifters and then get the DOD stuff tuned out? I assume this what allowed you to swap cams. So more or less you have an LM4 now or is there more to removing the DOD than that?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Any idea on what you're going to do for radiator / heater hoses? I'm using the same radiator as you, just need to get hoses!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

know the feeling, my brother is into Rock Crawling jeeps, built several now and going out with him and his buds is fun, they break ****, have to fit it in the woods or not get out, on board welders and stuff is really cool and not to mention, it dont cost me a thing if it breaks!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by green28
So all you have to do on the LH6 is replace the DOD lifters with LS7 lifters and then get the DOD stuff tuned out? I assume this what allowed you to swap cams. So more or less you have an LM4 now or is there more to removing the DOD than that?
My engine had all the DOD stuff in it, but wasn't wired for it from the factory (there's about 4-5 wires I'd have to add to the ECM C2 connector in the harness, add brake pressure switch, etc). Not really something I cared for in rock crawling Reason for the missing wiring, from what I've heard, is that GM didn't have the exhaust ready in time on the Envoy's for V4 mode (exhaust note), so they didn't make the DOD functional on some models .

But yes, the DOD lifters are limited in lift, so I swapped them out for normal ones. Plus I didn't want to have to worry about a DOD lifter failing in the future. You will also need the LS2/LS7 lifter guides as the LH6 guides won't work with regular lifters.

The LM4 is an iron block based motor. The LH6 is all AL, but yes, both 5.3L's.

Last edited by 98blackSS; 01-11-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Grewe02
Any idea on what you're going to do for radiator / heater hoses? I'm using the same radiator as you, just need to get hoses!
For the radiator, I'll probably use a lower Envoy rad hose without issue. The upper is going to be a bitch since the radiator I'm using has the inlet port on the drivers side. The Envoy has both ports on the pass side. I'll probably have to join a couple unless I can find one at autozone, etc that's close enough.

The heater hoses were cake, those should be here today. Pretty much a straight shot to the firewall.

I'm using a 3 core AL radiator from Advance Adapters.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Cool. I found out they make Radiators, so I called them and they gave me Goodyear's phone number. Goodyear gave me the part numbers for the hoses out of an 2003 Yukon, which AA said would work perfectly.

Upper - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Lower - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Heater - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: Yet another Jeep TJ GM motor swap :)