LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   Which headers for a 86' monte/G-body swap (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/852472-headers-86-monte-g-body-swap.html)

samh_08 01-26-2008 11:29 AM

Which headers for a 86' monte/G-body swap

Hey guys, i'll be doing a ls1 swap into my 86 monte carlo and i need to know which headers are going to fit the best and also provide great HP/TQ gains. I have John B.'s motor mounts already if that makes any difference. Let me know what you guys think, thanks

FOUROHSICKS 01-26-2008 01:48 PM

flowtech for 98 camaro available at your local autozone for about 300 u.s. clams.beating of passenger side header required.transmission crossmember needs to be modified for clearance and you must beat the floor under your feet for clearance as well.dont you hate it when no one responds to your questions?anyway thats what i did on my 82 cutlass.went from 12.48 to 11.80 from the manifold to header swap alone.

samh_08 01-26-2008 03:16 PM

i heard pace setters work with little to no modification w/ John B.'s motor mounts. im just trying to make SURE something will work before i go and order stuff. please help me out guys

John B 01-27-2008 12:17 PM

If you do a search for "rickbat" he used F-body Hooker LT's with only minor mods

LS1MCSS 01-27-2008 05:04 PM

Schoenfeld makes a set that is supposed to fit, but I can't say for certain that they will.

Roller406Bu 01-27-2008 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS (Post 8579282)
Schoenfeld makes a set that is supposed to fit, but I can't say for certain that they will.

they don't been there done that...

Roller406Bu 01-27-2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by samh_08 (Post 8572923)
i heard pace setters work with little to no modification w/ John B.'s motor mounts. im just trying to make SURE something will work before i go and order stuff. please help me out guys

I used pacesetters as well for f-body with no egr, and transdapt motor mounts and a moroso oil pan, all from jegs..

samh_08 01-27-2008 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Roller406Bu (Post 8579604)
I used pacesetters as well for f-body with no egr, and transdapt motor mounts and a moroso oil pan, all from jegs..

For which year F-body? Have any part numbers?..so there's no misinterpretation.
Also, how did everything fit?

deuce_454 01-28-2008 01:29 PM

There are a couple of people on maliburacing using f-body LTīs (think they were pacesetters) with good effect.. but it depends on rearset and height of engine...

this got me thinking that the edelbrock slip-on collector. stepped competition headers for F-body was a hot ticket... but i havent tried it yet..

jerrycad472 01-28-2008 01:44 PM

I used the John B Mounts and went with the Hooker A-Body LS1 Swap Headers. I heard about them in the G-Body Thread that you can find in this section. The guy there posted pictures as well. He said that they fit perfect except that they are too tight to the floor pan especially on the Driver's side. He said he just heated them up bent them slightly downward. It looked pretty clean.

I just got mine bolted in. The Passenger side bolts in really nice plenty of clearence on the frame but it is a little too close to the floor pan. The Driver side seems to have good frame clearance. However the collector is catching on the floor pan and I am about 1/2" from being able to get the rear header flange bolt into the head.

It definately does not look as though any of the primarys will have to be bent for clearance. Which is something I have seen with some of the other headers used for the G-Body Swap.

I am hoping to pull them back out and angle them down for floor pan clearance in the next week or two. I will let you know how it goes. In the mean time you can search and find the G-Body Thread. There are a lot of pictures of other peoples header choices.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509921

samh_08 01-28-2008 10:29 PM

So the A-body swap headers will work better than the F-body headers everyone is talking about. Sorry but it seems that there isnt a simple one sided answer like I was looking for. Any one else have some input...it would be much appreciated

Roller406Bu 01-29-2008 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by samh_08 (Post 8579876)
For which year F-body? Have any part numbers?..so there's no misinterpretation.
Also, how did everything fit?

766-70-2256

part number from jegs.com...Had to put a dimple on two tubes to keep from rubbing frame on pass side, nothing major...

tonyy33055 03-03-2012 05:47 AM

hi ppl im doing a LQ9 GM 6.0 SWAP on a 88 monte carlo ls t-top. i dont know if some one posted the answer already but what headers should i use. that will FIT rite on point!!

06X6spdGTO 03-04-2012 11:02 AM

Got the Edelbrock Stepped Fbody 00-02 headers with 3.5" collectors and Trans Dapt 4595 mounts. Will let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks

76LQ9TA 03-05-2012 10:42 AM

I used the stainless f-body headers on ebay. Driver side had the #5 primary tube moved closer to the cylinder head to clear the steering column shaft. Passenger side had 3 primary tubes re-routed to move them farther back to the collector. Alot of work but the headers shipped to my house was only $200 and I don't have to pay $200 to have them coated. This is in a 1985 cutlass w/ 1" setback motor mounts.

MNMCSS 03-05-2012 02:37 PM

I used same headers as roller406, Pacesetter off road long tubes for 98-02 f body, and trans dapt 1" set back motor mount plates with the stock clamshell mounts, just get the plates. One tube on passenger side rubs frame it will fit in there and bolt up but touches frame. Just needs a little clearance however you choose to do that.

MonteFastChevy 03-05-2012 10:21 PM

I used Carshop inc shorties for an S10. I also used Transdapt 1 inch setback motor mounts. No issues, didnt have to dent anything. A little tight around the oil filter but not bad.

tonyy33055 03-05-2012 11:31 PM

ok so i see yall are using F-BODY headers?? yall have PART#s and store??

billyflantos 03-05-2012 11:52 PM

check out my thread"6.90's with a junkyard motor"..it should tell you everything you need,hopefully....i just read it and it does'nt...lol...but i'll try to remember some of it off the top of my head...when i put a ls in my 85 regal i used transdapt swap plates with steel moroso 82-92 camaro frame mounts and the taller moroso steel motor mounts,i used the truck oil pan and i used the the jegs stock location double hump trans crossmember...i used a set of pacesetter 98-99 f-body headers...with a turbo 350 trans...heres how i set it in the car,i put the motor and trans in together and bolted the trans down on the crossmember so i could use my stock driveshaft,then i looked where the frame mounts squared up on the engine crossmember(because my g-body had multiple bolt hole locations)i found the location that was very close to aligning up(had to elongate only 1 hole to mount the frame mounts)could'nt use all 4 bolt holes on the frame mounts because 1 of them was hanging off the crossmember alittle...after that it was a cakewalk,the headers fit perfect with no mods what so ever..and i could use my stock driveshaft...this sounds alot harder than it is,but its tried and true...sorry for the long reply also...billy

tonyy33055 03-06-2012 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by billyflantos (Post 16048817)
check out my thread"6.90's with a junkyard motor"..it should tell you everything you need,hopefully....i just read it and it does'nt...lol...but i'll try to remember some of it off the top of my head...when i put a ls in my 85 regal i used transdapt swap plates with steel moroso 82-92 camaro frame mounts and the taller moroso steel motor mounts,i used the truck oil pan and i used the the jegs stock location double hump trans crossmember...i used a set of pacesetter 98-99 f-body headers...with a turbo 350 trans...heres how i set it in the car,i put the motor and trans in together and bolted the trans down on the crossmember so i could use my stock driveshaft,then i looked where the frame mounts squared up on the engine crossmember(because my g-body had multiple bolt hole locations)i found the location that was very close to aligning up(had to elongate only 1 hole to mount the frame mounts)could'nt use all 4 bolt holes on the frame mounts because 1 of them was hanging off the crossmember alittle...after that it was a cakewalk,the headers fit perfect with no mods what so ever..and i could use my stock driveshaft...this sounds alot harder than it is,but its tried and true...sorry for the long reply also...billy

nice do you have part #s and were to get.....????