Which headers for a 86' monte/G-body swap - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Conversions & Hybrids LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which headers for a 86' monte/G-body swap

 
Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
  #1  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
samh_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 288
Default Which headers for a 86' monte/G-body swap

Hey guys, i'll be doing a ls1 swap into my 86 monte carlo and i need to know which headers are going to fit the best and also provide great HP/TQ gains. I have John B.'s motor mounts already if that makes any difference. Let me know what you guys think, thanks
samh_08 is offline  
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 PM
  #2  
On The Tree
 
FOUROHSICKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 141
Default

flowtech for 98 camaro available at your local autozone for about 300 u.s. clams.beating of passenger side header required.transmission crossmember needs to be modified for clearance and you must beat the floor under your feet for clearance as well.dont you hate it when no one responds to your questions?anyway thats what i did on my 82 cutlass.went from 12.48 to 11.80 from the manifold to header swap alone.
FOUROHSICKS is online now  
Old 01-26-2008, 04:16 PM
  #3  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
samh_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 288
Default

i heard pace setters work with little to no modification w/ John B.'s motor mounts. im just trying to make SURE something will work before i go and order stuff. please help me out guys
samh_08 is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 01:17 PM
  #4  
Moderator
iTrader: (10)
 
John B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,216
Default

If you do a search for "rickbat" he used F-body Hooker LT's with only minor mods
John B is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
  #5  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (18)
 
LS1MCSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dover, Arkansas
Posts: 3,830
Default

Schoenfeld makes a set that is supposed to fit, but I can't say for certain that they will.
LS1MCSS is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
  #6  
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS View Post
Schoenfeld makes a set that is supposed to fit, but I can't say for certain that they will.

they don't been there done that...
Roller406Bu is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
  #7  
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by samh_08 View Post
i heard pace setters work with little to no modification w/ John B.'s motor mounts. im just trying to make SURE something will work before i go and order stuff. please help me out guys

I used pacesetters as well for f-body with no egr, and transdapt motor mounts and a moroso oil pan, all from jegs..
Roller406Bu is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
  #8  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
samh_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 288
Default

Originally Posted by Roller406Bu View Post
I used pacesetters as well for f-body with no egr, and transdapt motor mounts and a moroso oil pan, all from jegs..
For which year F-body? Have any part numbers?..so there's no misinterpretation.
Also, how did everything fit?
samh_08 is offline  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
  #9  
TECH Apprentice
 
deuce_454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 369
Default

There are a couple of people on maliburacing using f-body LTīs (think they were pacesetters) with good effect.. but it depends on rearset and height of engine...

this got me thinking that the edelbrock slip-on collector. stepped competition headers for F-body was a hot ticket... but i havent tried it yet..
deuce_454 is offline  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
  #10  
Teching In
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southeast Michigan (Detroit area)
Posts: 14
Default

I used the John B Mounts and went with the Hooker A-Body LS1 Swap Headers. I heard about them in the G-Body Thread that you can find in this section. The guy there posted pictures as well. He said that they fit perfect except that they are too tight to the floor pan especially on the Driver's side. He said he just heated them up bent them slightly downward. It looked pretty clean.

I just got mine bolted in. The Passenger side bolts in really nice plenty of clearence on the frame but it is a little too close to the floor pan. The Driver side seems to have good frame clearance. However the collector is catching on the floor pan and I am about 1/2" from being able to get the rear header flange bolt into the head.

It definately does not look as though any of the primarys will have to be bent for clearance. Which is something I have seen with some of the other headers used for the G-Body Swap.

I am hoping to pull them back out and angle them down for floor pan clearance in the next week or two. I will let you know how it goes. In the mean time you can search and find the G-Body Thread. There are a lot of pictures of other peoples header choices.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509921
jerrycad472 is offline  
Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 PM
  #11  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
samh_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 288
Default

So the A-body swap headers will work better than the F-body headers everyone is talking about. Sorry but it seems that there isnt a simple one sided answer like I was looking for. Any one else have some input...it would be much appreciated
samh_08 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
  #12  
On The Tree
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by samh_08 View Post
For which year F-body? Have any part numbers?..so there's no misinterpretation.
Also, how did everything fit?

766-70-2256


part number from jegs.com...Had to put a dimple on two tubes to keep from rubbing frame on pass side, nothing major...
Roller406Bu is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: miami,FL
Posts: 8
Default

hi ppl im doing a LQ9 GM 6.0 SWAP on a 88 monte carlo ls t-top. i dont know if some one posted the answer already but what headers should i use. that will FIT rite on point!!
tonyy33055 is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
  #14  
10 Second Club
iTrader: (6)
 
06X6spdGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kearney, NE
Posts: 642
Default

Got the Edelbrock Stepped Fbody 00-02 headers with 3.5" collectors and Trans Dapt 4595 mounts. Will let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks
06X6spdGTO is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
  #15  
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 244
Default

I used the stainless f-body headers on ebay. Driver side had the #5 primary tube moved closer to the cylinder head to clear the steering column shaft. Passenger side had 3 primary tubes re-routed to move them farther back to the collector. Alot of work but the headers shipped to my house was only $200 and I don't have to pay $200 to have them coated. This is in a 1985 cutlass w/ 1" setback motor mounts.
76LQ9TA is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Watertown,MN
Posts: 28
Default

I used same headers as roller406, Pacesetter off road long tubes for 98-02 f body, and trans dapt 1" set back motor mount plates with the stock clamshell mounts, just get the plates. One tube on passenger side rubs frame it will fit in there and bolt up but touches frame. Just needs a little clearance however you choose to do that.
MNMCSS is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 PM
  #17  
Teching In
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 11
Default

I used Carshop inc shorties for an S10. I also used Transdapt 1 inch setback motor mounts. No issues, didnt have to dent anything. A little tight around the oil filter but not bad.
MonteFastChevy is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 AM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: miami,FL
Posts: 8
Default

ok so i see yall are using F-BODY headers?? yall have PART#s and store??
tonyy33055 is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 AM
  #19  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (6)
 
billyflantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DAVIDSON NC
Posts: 571
Default

check out my thread"6.90's with a junkyard motor"..it should tell you everything you need,hopefully....i just read it and it does'nt...lol...but i'll try to remember some of it off the top of my head...when i put a ls in my 85 regal i used transdapt swap plates with steel moroso 82-92 camaro frame mounts and the taller moroso steel motor mounts,i used the truck oil pan and i used the the jegs stock location double hump trans crossmember...i used a set of pacesetter 98-99 f-body headers...with a turbo 350 trans...heres how i set it in the car,i put the motor and trans in together and bolted the trans down on the crossmember so i could use my stock driveshaft,then i looked where the frame mounts squared up on the engine crossmember(because my g-body had multiple bolt hole locations)i found the location that was very close to aligning up(had to elongate only 1 hole to mount the frame mounts)could'nt use all 4 bolt holes on the frame mounts because 1 of them was hanging off the crossmember alittle...after that it was a cakewalk,the headers fit perfect with no mods what so ever..and i could use my stock driveshaft...this sounds alot harder than it is,but its tried and true...sorry for the long reply also...billy

Last edited by billyflantos; 03-06-2012 at 01:33 AM.
billyflantos is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 AM
  #20  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: miami,FL
Posts: 8
Talking

Originally Posted by billyflantos View Post
check out my thread"6.90's with a junkyard motor"..it should tell you everything you need,hopefully....i just read it and it does'nt...lol...but i'll try to remember some of it off the top of my head...when i put a ls in my 85 regal i used transdapt swap plates with steel moroso 82-92 camaro frame mounts and the taller moroso steel motor mounts,i used the truck oil pan and i used the the jegs stock location double hump trans crossmember...i used a set of pacesetter 98-99 f-body headers...with a turbo 350 trans...heres how i set it in the car,i put the motor and trans in together and bolted the trans down on the crossmember so i could use my stock driveshaft,then i looked where the frame mounts squared up on the engine crossmember(because my g-body had multiple bolt hole locations)i found the location that was very close to aligning up(had to elongate only 1 hole to mount the frame mounts)could'nt use all 4 bolt holes on the frame mounts because 1 of them was hanging off the crossmember alittle...after that it was a cakewalk,the headers fit perfect with no mods what so ever..and i could use my stock driveshaft...this sounds alot harder than it is,but its tried and true...sorry for the long reply also...billy
nice do you have part #s and were to get.....????
tonyy33055 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which headers for a 86' monte/G-body swap


About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: