Sponsored by:

LQ9 in 1984 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 in 1984 Cutlass Supreme

Hi !!!
i'm new on this forum. i'm from Quebec in canada and I usually speak french so maybe i will have difficulty to understand everything !!! so I have a 1984 oldsmobile cutlass supreme now with a gm goodwrench 350 crate engine and a 700R4 shift kit 3.73 gears. I recently bought a 2005 yukon denali 6.0l LQ9 engine. because it's the winter, i decided to begin to prepare the engine and everything else to be ready for the swap. I want to keep my 700r4 . the engine will use a intake and carb kit from edelbrock. I want to know what I will need to do the swap in my G-body. it would be very appreciated if you could tell me everything you know or think i would need to buy or fabricate !! thanks ! José Labbé
Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

so nobody can help me ???? any tips ?? is the 700r4 bolt on ???
Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggest you do a search on G-Body M/C's.... there are many threads or project that are both completed and ongoing on this forum.. I can't really help much on the 80's G-Boday.. tho much of it is very simular to A-Body.. you can learn much from A-Body projects. Check out the S&P, ATS and BRP web site.. they have kit and project cars that you can research on as well as swap parts.

John B is a good project and well known here. His car was also in one of the Magazines. His web site has a lot of step by step stuff for his M/C.

I beleive that the 700r4 will bolt on, but different flex plate or spacers many be needed.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

is the ls1 boltage the same as the lq9, engine mounts are at the same place ??? can i take ls1 headers and put them on the lq9 ? for my 700r4 does anyone know if there's a kit made to perfectly match it to the lq9 engine ?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The first site you should check out is John B`s http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/ this thread also has lots of info https://ls1tech.com/forums/showth...camino+el+1986
The engine mounts are in a different place and require adapters or custom mounts. LS1 headers will bolt onto a LQ9. To bolt up a 700r4 you can either buy a TCI flywheel or get a spacer from GM, actually if your motor had a 4l80e trans it already has the spacer.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check hotrodlane.cc and click on the installs link then click on the ls swaps, there will be a full detail story on how they put an ls1 into a Grand National, that should tell you eveything you need to know.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

ok thanks g-body, I will check for the transmission the engine had before. and for the engine mounts, I saw the 89 caprice with a 5.3 i think, is it possible to do the same thing i mean take the original GM engine mounts from my old engine and bolt them on a custom plate bolted on the engine ??? and for my transmission, the torque will actually bolt correctly on the flywheel ??? thanks a lot for your answer quys, i need help for this swap and i feel very alone. every details or tips are very appreciated !! thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to make adapter plates for the engine mounts, I believe a few guys have made that work. I built completely new mounts so I can`t really help with dimensions for the adapter plates.

The holes may not line up perfectly, I have heard that with some flywheels the bolt pattern is too small of a diameter by 2mm so you have to oval out the holes very slightly.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

I just want to change the cam in this engine, i don't want to do a job in the heads. i actually have a dual 2 1/2" exhaust. the lq9 have the manifolds. would it make a difference if i put headers on it or not enough. my 350 have 280 hp and 370 of torque. i will probably make the 6.0l more torquer with the cam change. what do you think ??

Last edited by supreme84; 02-04-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: error in pipes size
Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

As with any cam.. your intake and exhaust is the limiting factor here.. with a mild cam, you should be ok with your stock intake/exhaust, but you will be leaving a bit on the table if you don't complement the cam with a good intake or exhaust that can keep up the cams RPM Range. One plus is that you will be doing Real True Duel exhaust as compared to some stock or modified LSx cars/truck so that will help in having stock exhaust manifolds. You might want to try some F-Body manifold. they might flow better than the trunk LQ9's ??

Do a search on CAM only swap and I think you will find a few CAM that will work out for you.. most likely the results will favor the 224 cams.. But as long as you have the engine out, do the cam change now !
Old 02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

ok, I want to run this engine with a carburator and the intake kit from edelbrock. in many ways, it will be less expensive for me to run the engine with a carb. I know you'll tell me that fuel injection maybe better in many ways but since it's a truck engine i would need to change too much things like the intake, maybe transmission, keeping o2 sensors ,things i don't have like the computer and the electronic gas pedal from the truck. things like that you know ! I also want to keep my original hood without modifying it as possible. buying a brand new cowl hood from the U.S is very expensive and i want to keep money for a great posi rear end !!! and TIRES !! haha !!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

and oh !! if you want to see my car in action and some of my friends, we made a party at my house and filmed it !!! and another one too it's on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wVVQl2Sjec
Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

hood clearance would not be a problem. converting to carburetion may look easier(and cheaper) at first but in the long run it's not and you'll be happier with the injection.
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 in 1984 Cutlass Supreme-86-cutlass.jpg   LQ9 in 1984 Cutlass Supreme-6.0-cutlass.jpg   LQ9 in 1984 Cutlass Supreme-6.0-cutlass-ls.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

pretty cool !! maybe the injection is better but a cannot afford to pay a lot for tuning and the electronic stuff it needs, and i also really like the look of the ls with carb. 5.3 racer, did you used the electronic tranny or you kept the original one ?? i don't know a lot of people near where i live who can deal with all this electronic and i'm not able to do it myself. i want to prepare the engine and take it to dyno to setup it right before to drop it in my car !
Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you keep the mod's down on the engine.. email your PCM to Jesse at Wait4meperformance.. $85 and will get everything flashed out that is not need, and a basic tune, that includes the return shipping. That is what I did and I was up and running without any problems..! So. you can't say that it cost a lot to get up and running when it come to the PCM.. Many have converted there wiring harness from the FAQ in this site.. no cost there again.. Only real cost that you would really need is to upgrade the Fuel system.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

i'm not so sure now after doing some research, i think my engine could be a lq4, is it could get the same hp as the lq9 if I do the cam swap anyway ??? i know that the compression ratio in not the same on both engines . could someone tell me ???
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by supreme84
pretty cool !! maybe the injection is better but a cannot afford to pay a lot for tuning and the electronic stuff it needs, and i also really like the look of the ls with carb. 5.3 racer, did you used the electronic tranny or you kept the original one ?? i don't know a lot of people near where i live who can deal with all this electronic and i'm not able to do it myself. i want to prepare the engine and take it to dyno to setup it right before to drop it in my car !
I used a th-350 trans. I used a pcm from Pcmforless initially then later purchased Hp Tuners and started tinkering myself. If you start to add up the costs of a carburetor, carbureted intake, timing control box, fuel pump(if you don't have an electric one now), I think you find that keeping the injection is closer in cost than you think. I had virtually no experience with fuel injection but I learned on fly by modifying my own harness, combining it with the original cutlass harness, upgrading my fuel system ,etc.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

ok, and can you answer my question about lq4 or lq9 ??
Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

I found something pretty interesting in the case maybe my engine is a lq4. and this setup would probably be used for my engine .
http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ock/index.html
Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supreme84
Hi !!!
i'm new on this forum. i'm from Quebec in canada and I usually speak french so maybe i will have difficulty to understand everything !!! so I have a 1984 oldsmobile cutlass supreme now with a gm goodwrench 350 crate engine and a 700R4 shift kit 3.73 gears. I recently bought a 2005 yukon denali 6.0l LQ9 engine. because it's the winter, i decided to begin to prepare the engine and everything else to be ready for the swap. I want to keep my 700r4 . the engine will use a intake and carb kit from edelbrock. I want to know what I will need to do the swap in my G-body. it would be very appreciated if you could tell me everything you know or think i would need to buy or fabricate !! thanks ! José Labbé
Hey Man, congrats on getting your car in the 03/10 PHR mag, I recognized it immediately. Looking good as always!

Quick Reply: LQ9 in 1984 Cutlass Supreme