Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 GTO LS2 alternator wiring? (pictures included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 GTO LS2 alternator wiring? (pictures included)

So I have a alternator from a '05 GTO LS2 motor that I'm going to use with my new harness from GM for the new LS2 x58 wheel motors. I've got a 2-pin plug on the alternator, but a 4-pin plug on the harness. Also the 4-pin plug on the harness only has one wire in it. I've got a plug for the alternator, but what wires do I need to the thing?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

These are from my 2004 GTO if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 GTO LS2 alternator wiring? (pictures included)-generator-large-.jpg   2005 GTO LS2 alternator wiring? (pictures included)-starting-charging-107192012-large-.jpg  
Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the diagram above, pin a can go to the positive post on the back of the alternator. Take the other wire in the harness you have and hook it to pin b of the gto alt. That should get you charging
Old 02-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem with my 05 gto ls2, my speartech harness didn't fit either.
I sold the 05 alternator on ebay a bought a f body one from autozone around
$100, I also had to buy an alternator brace from an fbody, got from gmparts direct
and good to go works fine
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 AM
ZEX
Teching In

i also have the same problem

it wasn't charging yesterday and completley died, so i wanted to remove the alternator, and found out that the 4pin connector has only one wire in it

and the problem why it wasn't charging is that the 2pin connector was totally disconnected !!

i will install the alternator again today, connect the 2pin and check if it will work with 1wire-4pin connector (coz i think it was working this way all those years )
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That alternator is used with the E38 as well as some other Gen III trucks/GTOs. When used with the trucks it uses a battery control module which is a separate module that plugs in-line. With the 58x E38 I believe both wires go back to the ECM.

Jon

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZEX
i also have the same problem

it wasn't charging yesterday and completley died, so i wanted to remove the alternator, and found out that the 4pin connector has only one wire in it

and the problem why it wasn't charging is that the 2pin connector was totally disconnected !!

i will install the alternator again today, connect the 2pin and check if it will work with 1wire-4pin connector (coz i think it was working this way all those years )
Zex, I have the opposite problem, The Alternator that came on my 06 GTO LS2 engine was damaged in the collision, so I purchased an F-body alternator thinking that it'd just plug right in. As you can see it doesn't have the same connector, so I'm looking for a not damaged GTO alternator for my engine. From what I found in my research, both wires from the GTO alternator go back to the PCM, one wire is labled "Generator Turn On Signal" the other is "Generator Field Duty Cycle Signal". Then from the PCM they go to the EBCM, Then to the PIM, then to the Data link connector.

The F-body single wire that you have goes to the lamp in the cluster, or you can wire an in line resistor (to substitute for the lamp) and that's it.

Sent you a PM...
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Teching In

Default Help needed

I have a new LS7 with an E38 ECU and I found that when the new 145amp GM alternator was connected to the ECU via the two wires (Orange and Grey) the 5 volt reference was being dragged down to 3 volts which stopped the fly-by-wire throttle from operating.

As soon as I disconnected the alternator plug the problem went away!

And so after miuch complaining I eventually got a replacement from the supplier, but this time the alternator supplied was much smaller Bosch unit and only rated for 100 amps. That is bad enough, but at least the plug is the same 4 wire size so got to fitting the weekend.

Then I find that the alternator is not charging... the 5 volt issue I had originally is OK, so I suspect that the first alternator has taken out the circuit in the ECU?

Any thoughts and help would be most appreciated.

1. Do I stop using the ECU connection and do something else, in which case what?
2. Anything I can check with the ECU?

BTW this LS7 is oin an Ultima.

cheers

Keith
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRDee
I have a new LS7 with an E38 ECU and I found that when the new 145amp GM alternator was connected to the ECU via the two wires (Orange and Grey) the 5 volt reference was being dragged down to 3 volts which stopped the fly-by-wire throttle from operating.

As soon as I disconnected the alternator plug the problem went away!

And so after miuch complaining I eventually got a replacement from the supplier, but this time the alternator supplied was much smaller Bosch unit and only rated for 100 amps. That is bad enough, but at least the plug is the same 4 wire size so got to fitting the weekend.

Then I find that the alternator is not charging... the 5 volt issue I had originally is OK, so I suspect that the first alternator has taken out the circuit in the ECU?

Any thoughts and help would be most appreciated.

1. Do I stop using the ECU connection and do something else, in which case what?
2. Anything I can check with the ECU?

BTW this LS7 is oin an Ultima.

cheers

Keith
Did you add in a resistor , do a search don't remember the size. The singal needs a jump start.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

So I also have an 05+ alternator (two wire) with a 4 wire connection on my harness. Who sells the pigtail to plug into the alternator? or the "module?" any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have the adapter up on the site. Haven't had any requests for the pigtail only. Here is a link to the adapter. Pm us if you want just the pigtail and we will put it up on the site.

http://www.shop.bp-automotive.com/LS1-to-Bosch-Alternator-Adapter-A22.htm

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO LS2 alternator wiring? (pictures included)