Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1 Miata build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you give me a dimension from either the firewall to the number 7 or 8 plug or from the top of a shock to any plug? Am curious as to how far forward the K-frame locates the engine.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, but it will have to wait til this weekend when I am back home.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

So I got nearly all the wiring completed this weekend. I took my time and tried to clean up the wires as best I could. I didn't go as far as completely removing all unused wires but I did undo many parts of both the miata and ls1 harness to reroute some new wires (mainly for gauges) and to tape up and hide the unused wires.

The starter is not engaging when I turn the key so I have to trace down that, the relay clicks under the dash and the starter has 12v straight from the battery (unmodified from stock miata setup) so the trigger wire isn't getting power I guess. I didn't have time to really look into it.

LS1-450 sorry I forgot to get those measurements. I will make a reminder to do it this weekend.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1_miata
So I got nearly all the wiring completed this weekend. I took my time and tried to clean up the wires as best I could. I didn't go as far as completely removing all unused wires but I did undo many parts of both the miata and ls1 harness to reroute some new wires (mainly for gauges) and to tape up and hide the unused wires.

The starter is not engaging when I turn the key so I have to trace down that, the relay clicks under the dash and the starter has 12v straight from the battery (unmodified from stock miata setup) so the trigger wire isn't getting power I guess. I didn't have time to really look into it.

LS1-450 sorry I forgot to get those measurements. I will make a reminder to do it this weekend.
Make sure the Mazda clutch enable switch is hooked up and function properly. Nice build BTW.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS1_miata or ls1-450, do the kits you guys use mount the steering rack in the same location as stock?? i have heard moving the rack can really screw with the steerign feel, something you dont want to mess with on the miata.

Cheers

Chris.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
LS1_miata or ls1-450, do the kits you guys use mount the steering rack in the same location as stock?? i have heard moving the rack can really screw with the steerign feel, something you dont want to mess with on the miata.

Cheers

Chris.
Chris,
The racingconcepts kit that LS1_miata uses does move it. The V8roadster kit does not. I'm doing the swap too, and will be using the V8roadster kit for that reason and the fact that it leaves a bit more ground clearance. It's a decent bit pricier though.

Frank
Old 03-04-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuntington101

Cheers

Chris.

I don't have a Racing Concepts kit & my steering rack has not been re-located.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I don't have a Racing Concepts kit & my steering rack has not been re-located.
are you using a kit or is it a custom job??

Chris.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Part kit part custom. The kit parts used are from a Company that no longer exsists.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Rest in peace diamond motorsports. I still want his 99 but I can't afford it

npartist, you are everywhere! Get back to work on the car, I am living vicariously through you.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Posidon42
Rest in peace diamond motorsports. I still want his 99 but I can't afford it

npartist, you are everywhere! Get back to work on the car, I am living vicariously through you.
rofl. Tell me about it. My life is busy right now. But I like it.

About the steering rack question: the RC kit does move the rack down about an inch so it includes a new 1 inch longer column. They are developing a new subframe (nearly entire kit actually) and it addresses many of the ground clearance issues and I think it raises the rack back up. I am not positive. I do know there will be an "upgraded" kit that has the front subframe tie into the frame rail braces for added stiffness. I will be one of the first if not the first customers to get this upgraded kit in about a month's time. I will run on the "old" kit til then.

Ok, so i'm stupid... the car wouldn't start because the clutch switch wasn't pressed in. Now now, I did have the clutch pedal pressed in but i had the master cylinder and linkage off which activates the switch. Like I said, I only spent 5 mins trying last weekend so I overlooked this issue. I figured it out today and it cranks right away (still no fuel yet so it doesn't run). Also, the Tail Fuse blowing issue I had was due to a burned out tail light bulb that had shorted to ground so that was an easy fix.

I am due to get the two remaining fuel connectors tomorrow so hopefully it will run. I will get crappy camera video.

Also, i posted some wiring pictures under Electrical, info about fuel pump wiring, exhaust measurement pictures and air intake pictures on my website. I will put more pictures up later this weekend when I get a chance.

LS1-450 I will get the firewall to engine measurements tomorrow, promise.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

LS1-450, here are the measurements. they are on the engine page on my website too.

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

Front:
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

The engine position is about the same w/ the exception that I've got almost 2" more from the TB to the radiator. My car is an NB, that may be the difference. If after you receive the modified radiator, there remains an issue, you can angle the radiator; closer @ the bottom. Also, keep in mind that a pusher fan on the bumper side is the same as a puller on the engine side.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

So I popped the piston out of the slave this weekend and destroyed it...whoo hoo. A new one cost me $150 from summit (GMPP slave) and will use up a solid 8 hours of this coming friday with a friend helping me. I had to re-install the trans with the broken slave so I could bring my car to the radiator shop (http://prcinc.com/) today. The guys at PRC seem to know what their are doing and I asked them to have the custom rad made by thursday...haha. They said they should be able to do it. They are going to angle the bottom of the rad forward some and put one 16in puller fan. I said I would like the ability to add an AC condenser to the front but I'm not positive that is going to happen, time will tell.

I had to order new fuel fittings as I had 5/16 ones and need 3/8 ones so I could run the engine this weekend. If I get all the parts (slave, radiator, fuel fittings), it will run this weekend, assuming I don't break something else...haha.

I will update my website late this week or next week.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

I am just starting a LS1 Miata myself, so I will have lots of questions for you guys. I have a rebuilt LS1 (no PCM or wiring), a T56 is ordered from Six Speeds Inc, and plan to try the CTS differential. I will build my own subframes and braces for the engine, trans and diff. I plan to order Hooker shorty headers, 'vette fuel pump & filter, and a PCM from pcmforless.

Does the Miata clutch master/slave setup work for the T56 clutch? What shifter did you go with? I will eventually need lots of help with wiring, as I am starting with nothing.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome. The miata clutch setup does not work. The T-56 has an internal slave that is specific to it. My kit comes with a modified t-56 master (to bolt to the miata location) and has new russell fittings and 36" line (bought from summit) to hook up to the slave. I took pictures of all this over the weekend but haven't updated the website yet. It will be on the trans page this week sometime with part numbers.

The wiring isn't bad, it seems daunting at first (and I hate wiring) but its quite manageable. I agree it will be more difficult when you don't have the wiring harness all hooked up already though. Are you going to buy a wiring harness or make your own? I'm glad to help you in anyway.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you very much for the information, and I will look forward to pictures of the clutch master cylinder setup. I am looking for a used PCM and wiring harness, and will also need a water pump and lower balancer pulley. I am still stripping parts out of the engine bay and getting ready to hack out the K-member - all distant memories for you guys. Just the beginning of a long string of purchases and questions, I am sure. One thing at a time....
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Nice build. What do you expect this thing to weigh when your done?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a LOT of engine!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rangeball
Nice build. What do you expect this thing to weigh when your done?
I expect it to weigh around 2500lbs. I have a full interior and 6-point roll bar and will probably have AC eventually. The ls1 swap adds around 150-200lbs to the car. A stripped (no interior, AC, radio, heater, etc) miata with ls1 swap weighed in at 2316lbs with half tank of gas. Thats the Racing Concepts development mule, its a first gen miata like mine.

Quick Reply: My LS1 Miata build