Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 gearbox direct to engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 gearbox direct to engine?

Does anybody have more insight on the C6 transaxle gearbox and its mounting and connection?

I'm thinking about building a midengine car with a LS3 engine and that way we could use the T56 gearbox of the C6 corvette and dont have to use things like a Porsche G50 transaxle.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a picture of what looks like an 4L60/65 sete up the way y ou are discussing http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_..._transaxle.jpg

I would like to know the answer to your question as well. It should be doable, the question is how hard is can it be done with stock parts?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I was wondering aout that too.
It seems to me that if you changed the T56 input shaft, you could use the standard bell housing and clutch.
You should post this in the transmission section.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

You would have to change the input, front plate, and bellhousing. It would be a very cool swap.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to contact mongoose motorsports, they make a Corvette GTP replica that I believe uses the C5 transaxle. Take a look at this picture...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...654377&l=1d114

good luck
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Teching In

The C5/C6 automatic will bolt right up if you use a RWD LS1 bellhousing. The guys at Mongoose have been using the 4L60E, but I believe their latest car is using the new 6 speed auto. RPM Transmissions is the company building the transmissions. Take a look at their site for more details.

I am currently building something very similar to the Mongoose car. The problem with the Corvette manual is that the shift linkage comes out the front face of the tranny. Also, the regular RDW T56's have the shifter on the rear of the trans, so that prevents you from being able to mate the tranny and the Vette diff.

It looks like it would be possible to put together a T56 with the right configuration, but it would probably mean stealing parts from multiple transmissions. The other problem is that the manual is longer than the auto. The last thing you need in this configuration is more length. The two people I know doing it (Mongoose and the guy builing the car in the above link) are running their half-shafts angled forward to reduce the wheelbase. I am not doing that, and the shortest I have been able to get my wheelbase is 114".

Ken
Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all the input. I will to try out a new C6 with the 6spd automatic as I just didnt like the 4spd ones very much and see if I like that or not. If not Porsche G50 there I come.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

you should propably look into a porsche or getrag transaxle like they run in the ultimas.. it has the ring and pinion, and thus the outputsafts between the engine and tranny, that way you can get a shorter wheelbase.. the porsche transaxles arent that expensive, its basically a 930 transmission mounted upside down, (which it is designed to btw, even has two fill plugs) and an adapter plate....

you could get in contact with ultima and buy a refurbished tranny from them.. price is reasonable and it fits an ls engine... you can even buy the shifter from them..

thet sell both the porsche rebuilt ones and a brand new getrag....
Old 12-20-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm looking into the same setup for my mid-engine Trans Am project.

I've learned you can mount a shifter in the middle of the T56 with a kit from Keisler Automotive Engineering for $200 or less.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-23-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BB69
The other problem is that the manual is longer than the auto.

Ken
How can that be? Surely GM did something, maybe a spacer, so that both trans types will fit the same car without changing the wheelbase. I'm curious because I may put a cheap 4l65e in right now and then later swap my T56 in. I don't want to have to change the engine or rearend mounting positions to do it.

One other thing, how long is this combo?
How would you measure it, from front of bellhousing to axle centerline?
I'll take whatever specs you have.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-20-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've found another possible solution to shorten the wheelbase drastically. Look on my mid-engine thread a couple of days ago. There is a belt drive setup that can be used with the vette diff or any diff you want actually. Just find one that's strong and has a good LSD in it.

Quick Reply: C6 gearbox direct to engine?