Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 torque tube shortening help.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 torque tube shortening help.....

I have searched already,,,,,Can anyone help with shortening a C5 torque tube?

What type of aluminum is it? What welding rod should be used?
Any details that would help are appreciated..

any links or contacts (other than what you get when you search) that could help me out!...

I am shortening the tube to allow for my 4L80e to fit ..

Thanks for the help

Tom
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a lathe to do this. any multy alloy compatiable welding rod can work.I belive the tube could be 6061 with cast 356 t4 housing ends. I talked with Mr Welch he had told me of your troubles. He siad to give him a call.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Teching In

I am in the process of lengthening my torque tube. I cut my tube off and put each piece on the end mill and milled the weld off and got the old out. I bought 6061 T6 Aluminum tubing and Im taking to the welding shop to get it wired welded. You shoul be able to cut one end off (the end that goes to the bell housing of the motor) take it to a machine shop have them mill the weld to the tube brakes loose then slide the front piece back on and get it timed up. I set my up on a table and leveled it out and built jigs to keep them timed correctly. If you want to see any pictures jsut let me know.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

68RS

If you could send pictures to tmo26@aol.com it would help me out..

Thanks

I had my guy cut the tube as you described ..but the rear part ( I have a bolt on rear bellhousing)

pictures please..

Tom
Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 68RS350
I am in the process of lengthening my torque tube. I cut my tube off and put each piece on the end mill and milled the weld off and got the old out. I bought 6061 T6 Aluminum tubing and Im taking to the welding shop to get it wired welded. You shoul be able to cut one end off (the end that goes to the bell housing of the motor) take it to a machine shop have them mill the weld to the tube brakes loose then slide the front piece back on and get it timed up. I set my up on a table and leveled it out and built jigs to keep them timed correctly. If you want to see any pictures jsut let me know.
I'm not quite ready to do my tube yet, but where did you find the 6061 t6 tube to replace the stock length one? And an idea of cost for the tube if you don't mind?
Thank you,Joe
Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

$50.00 plus shipping and you you can have my old cut tube to use a piece for legnthening...tmo26@aol.com

Quick Reply: C5 torque tube shortening help.....