Sponsored by:

6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbytexan
Thanks for the PN's rsz288!

Let me know once you have the C6 filter how deep it is. The pan and filter I have is said to come from a Corvette due to the 300mm converter and its 3ish inched deep.
CT, now that I have them, unfortunately the C6 filter and pan are both truck depth. While I know the VE/G8 pan is shallower as I have measured it, as is the filter, I dont have any access to Cadi parts to check them. At the very least the Cadi 6L80 has the same pan as the VE/G8. If the GM pix are anything to go by. Simply hoping the Cadi is shallower again.

Originally Posted by Gm-LSX
This picture is taken from slightly above. Naturally making the Pan LOOK much more shallow because of the big radius at the edges.
Thanks GM-LSX....good point...though all parallax error present and accounted for in the estimates. ;-)

Last edited by rsz288; 05-29-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Addition...............
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rsz288,

FYI: The Corvette uses 10.68 kg (11.1 Liters) of fluid and the XLRV/STSV use 8.74 kg (9.1 Liters) of fluid, but the Corvettes torque converter is 300mm where the others are 258mm twin plate. So there is a different in the fluid capacities, but it may all be in the torque converter.

More info for the pot.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

rsz288,

FYI: The Corvette uses 10.68 kg (11.1 Liters) of fluid and the XLRV/STSV use 8.74 kg (9.1 Liters) of fluid, but the Corvettes torque converter is 300mm where the others are 258mm twin plate. So there is a different in the fluid capacities, but it may all be in the torque converter.

More info for the pot.

True enough. They hold a lot of fluid! And the 6L90 with 300m convertor takes 13 litres . So a variation of 4 litres (a gallon) from 6L80 258mm convertor to 6L90 300mm convertor. Some in the pan, some in the case, some in the convertor.

The 6L80 Corvette/Truck pan holds 5.8 litres, the 6L90 Truck pan holds just under 6 litres. Similar sizes.

Maybe someone on here has a G8 with a User Guide that outlines the trans fluid capacity in the G8 A6.

FYI - 6L80 Corvette pan on the left with 6L90 gasket overlaid. 6L90 pan on the right. A shallower 6L80 pan would need a little modification at the rear lip.... to fit the 6L90.

6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-6l80-6l90-pans-gasket.jpg

Originally Posted by SS Enforcer
Hi Ian I met you a couple of weeks back at Wills in the Blue Mountains, it certainly looks like a good project you have going.

The pics of the 6l90e are very helpfull in deciding weather to put the bigger box in my VE or not. Is a shallower pan available ?

I will be watching this one all the way.

cheers
Paul
Hi Paul, Congrats on the consistent 11.8's week before last! Very quick for a daily driver family car!

No shallow pans uncovered so far for the 6L90. Fingers crossed. I think a modified 6L80 pan from the VE/G8 like yours is going to be needed.

Cheers.

Last edited by rsz288; 05-31-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Addition....
Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

rsz288,

More info for the pot.
Hi CT, where did your capacity specs from?

The GM 07 specs I have list:

6L80: Cadi 258mm: 9.7L ( 8.22kg ), Corvette 300mm: 11.9L ( 10.1kg )

With the 6L90 at 13L, then that is due mainly to the case size, and sounds about right based on case dimensions.

If you have earlier or later specs, maybe there are differences in pans from year to year, which may help target a solution.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

FYI - for anyone who is interested on 6L80 6L90 differences:

6L90E is "a heavy-duty version of the 6L80 six-speed automatic, with a strengthened input gearset which has two additional pinion gears for six total, and a strengthened output gearset, that uses wider gears than the 6L80. The 6L90 shares about 75 percent of the parts as the 6L80, although the case of the 6L90 is 35mm longer than the 6L80 case."

Courtesy GM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

FYI - for comparison - 6L80 Cadi, 6L80 Corvette, 6L90 Sierra -

6L80 Cadi
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-2008-myc-cadi-6l80e.jpg

6L80 Corvette
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-2008-myc-corvette-6l80e.jpg

6L90 Sierra
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-2008-myd-sierra-6l90e.jpg

Perspective is similar on all these photos.

That Cadi pan looks nice and shallow.

Interesting that the 6L90 is the auto trans of choice for the 09 LSA CTS-V Cadi Supercharged 6.2L engine. It is no longer just a truck trans. It will be the trans behind the most sophisticated, highest powered gasoline engine that GM produces, and has ever produced, for a top end luxury car!

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...ual/09lsa.html

Courtesy GM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Teching In

rsz288,

Sorry on the capacities. I only had the kg capacity so I did a rough calc to convert it to liters. Guess I was off a bit

Nice work on the pans. I am focusing in on the G6 and Holden cars, which both must have smaller pans. If not I am close to building my own.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

rsz288,

Sorry on the capacities. I only had the kg capacity so I did a rough calc to convert it to liters. Guess I was off a bit

Nice work on the pans. I am focusing in on the G6 and Holden cars, which both must have smaller pans. If not I am close to building my own.

No problemo CT. Was hoping maybe you found some other options.

Build your own with remote filter?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

great thread, very informative!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
great thread, very informative!
Sure is.

It's nice to have someone trying to solve one of the problems with the 6L80/6L90 tranny. Now if I can just get them to start looking at solving the dipstick problem so we can check fluid with either a shallow or deep pan.

I approached Lokar Inc. about that problem back in May and will be hitting them up again at GoodGuys show in two week. Might help if they got a few calls from people wanting to know if they had one yet.

I'd also like to see the aftermarket come up with a TU/TD shifter for them that looks more like a what's used on other so don't have the pain of trying to hide one of the GM offerings. My thinking is it wouldn't be all that hard to do.

In the mean time I'm going to keep working on getting Rosie O. up and working in my project.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

RS

Just mounting the trans and engine now, so I will be working on that next. Will let you know what I come up with.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Just got the rear cross member together and test fitted. I went for a simple straight across rail as shown in the pix. It is a very snug fit but seems to fulfill the needs quite well.

Also commenced the sheet metal back fill of the trans tunnel.

Ready to slide the sub frame under the body with the 6L90 supported by new rear cross member.
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-6l90-rr-xmemc.jpg

Another view.
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-6l90-rr-xmem-2c.jpg

Sub frame bolted up tight with rear cross member from the rear. Wood shims to fine tune the trans height. Will of course replace those shims with aluminum or steel.
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-6l90-rr-tunnel-1ed.jpg

Initial sheet metal cover for the trans tunnel welded in position. I chose a folded approach that follows the contour of the trans. It is also maintains a degree of stiffness. There was a little slack in the carpet side to side, and having the rounded cover means the existing carpet will still fit. There is also some room for some heat shielding a la that used on today's cars. Final fit position will see the trans sitting about 1/16" lower than in the picture.
6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....-6l90-rr-tunnel-1.jpg

beebabeebabee....that's all for now folks...back to the sheetmetal work.

Last edited by rsz288; 06-07-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
Sure is.

It's nice to have someone trying to solve one of the problems with the 6L80/6L90 tranny. Now if I can just get them to start looking at solving the dipstick problem so we can check fluid with either a shallow or deep pan.

I approached Lokar Inc. about that problem back in May and will be hitting them up again at GoodGuys show in two week. Might help if they got a few calls from people wanting to know if they had one yet.

I'd also like to see the aftermarket come up with a TU/TD shifter for them that looks more like a what's used on other so don't have the pain of trying to hide one of the GM offerings. My thinking is it wouldn't be all that hard to do.

In the mean time I'm going to keep working on getting Rosie O. up and working in my project.
Interesting one that dipstick question. The pan is made with dipstick clearance directly below the "dipstick" hole. There must be a truck dipstick. My guess is that it would not be too hard to shorten the truck dipstick and tube if needed, and bend it a little for more favourable routing.

Everyone I know with a 6L80 trans mentions that the TUTD is a little slow when pushed, though I am guessing this is on the non Corvette cars only. As for the shifter itself, I thought of modifying the TH400 Hurst shifter, but am now thinking I may fab one up that is compact, low profile and simple and either uses a reworked GM shift shaft, or a cable. And maybe then use steering wheel mounted TUTD paddles when I get time for that, or the aftermarket comes up with something.

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Have you thought about how you can tell what gear your in when paddle shifting?

Only thing I can think of for the vette is to make a small panel and use small LED's to show what gear and mount it on dash.

Problem is can John at Speartech figure out how trans computer turns them on and off as you TU or TD down thru the gears and make a wire harness to support them.

Guess it's time to talk to John and order harness with or without that feature.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
Have you thought about how you can tell what gear your in when paddle shifting?

Only thing I can think of for the vette is to make a small panel and use small LED's to show what gear and mount it on dash.

Problem is can John at Speartech figure out how trans computer turns them on and off as you TU or TD down thru the gears and make a wire harness to support them.

Guess it's time to talk to John and order harness with or without that feature.
Hi Jere,

That is a very, good, question. There is TUTD wiring in the harness, but the indicator is not part of the picture.

I am thinking I will use a Dashdaq 2 or PLX Devices DM200 ODB or similar multi function readout that connects into the OBDII/CAN. The only place the gear selected is broadcast is on the CAN, so maybe the Dashdaq or PLX can be set to read it out along with other OBD data. It is looking like only the Dashdaq may have the capability to look at trans parameters though.

The other option is a long shot, and that is that I can get a GM DIC/Driver Info Centre that will sit across the CAN. Though I think that option requires a body control module too. Too many boxes. I hope the Dashdaq or PLX will do it.

Have a good one.

Last edited by rsz288; 01-14-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

At what angle sits your Engine/Transmission Combo? (3rd Gen sits at 3° judging from the measures i took)

I assume all F-Body Transmission Tunnels have very similar dimension. Don't they?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gm-LSX
At what angle sits your Engine/Transmission Combo? (3rd Gen sits at 3° judging from the measures i took)

I assume all F-Body Transmission Tunnels have very similar dimension. Don't they?
Similar angle. The trans sits quite high, but the angles still measure out at around 3 degrees. Thats what I will be aiming at. It may require some adjustment of the rear axle to get right. Both shimming and lowering.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Hi there rsz288 newbie to this forum but i have taken on a project similar to yours and will be placing a l76 and 6l80e with tt into my 68ss camaro. this is the only similar project that i can find and will be interesting to shoehorn that trans into the old beast. will take some photos and post along with plans for the car. hopefully we can share some details with the install.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 68sstt
Hi there rsz288 newbie to this forum but i have taken on a project similar to yours and will be placing a l76 and 6l80e with tt into my 68ss camaro. this is the only similar project that i can find and will be interesting to shoehorn that trans into the old beast. will take some photos and post along with plans for the car. hopefully we can share some details with the install.
HI 68SSTT, cool. Another pioneer with 6L80/90 in gen 1. By the PM's I get, there are a few more out there.

Is that TT for TipTronic, or TwinTurbo?

Which part of ADL are you in ?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

HI 68SSTT, cool. Another pioneer with 6L80/90 in gen 1. By the PM's I get, there are a few more out there.

Is that TT for TipTronic, or TwinTurbo?

Which part of ADL are you in ?
The 68 is going to be a twin turbo just in the throws of working out my compressor size, probably will be gt35r.I live at the foothills near Athelstone but my car is at my workshop at Regency Park.

Quick Reply: 6L80/6L90 into 68 Camaro does go....