Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan question??

Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric fan question??

my radiator is two narrow to mount the dual fans from ls, so question is my harness has both hi/lo relays in it set up for two fans.. how can i wire it to work with one fan? I have had several people tell me that they have seen them done that way how would i need to wire it up that way? seem to me that from what i read the low is 6 volts and the high is 12 volts, and when high comes on they both stay on, so can i wire them both up to the single fan and have computer programmed to cut the low off when high comes on? or no more voltage than that is dont think that even if i left them both on it would hurt the fan??? input please?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric Fan

Gen 4 Camaros have a dual electric fan arrangement with relays to switch the two fan motors either in a series string or a parallel arrangement. When in "low" speed, the fan motors are series connected and each motor then sees 6 volt drop across it. In "high" speed, the motors are switched to parallel and each motor has 12 volts and runs at high speed.

In your case, with room for only one fan, consider a single fan with "dual " windings, a Low speed winding and a High speed winding. Example Ford Taurus electic fan with 3 wire connector. Then wire your two relays to the correct winding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Or you can just use the low speed fan wire in your harness and use one relay. I've done it that way in the past, and it just runs the fan at high speed when ever it's on.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Or you can just use the low speed fan wire in your harness and use one relay. I've done it that way in the past, and it just runs the fan at high speed when ever it's on.
Thats what Ive done.....for now.

Search this Thread