Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into Jet Boat??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome. Should not only be faster but also save a little money in gas compared to a BBC. Gas is getting out of hand on the water. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's sweet can't wait to see it when its all said and done.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh man oh man! cool project!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default ls6 Z06 jetboat

Well first off I wanna say I didn't think there were anyothers thinking as crazy as me when I started this. Looks like it just took a lil while to catch on. I first started with a 5.3l transpalnt on another boat and now Im at a ls6 in this new boat. I could go on for days on what it will take to do it cuz I have done it all, and yes I did it myself. But I will say this thing turns. My bro has a mild bbc in his and we are neck and neck. He still gets me cuz this is only my second boat/ 3rd season as a boat owner and haven't got the launch down yet. But if anyone has any q's on what it takes, just ask.

ps.. i am looking for a cam upgrade, any input would be helpfull.

Happy Boatin !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What rpms are you needing torque and whats your top rpm you run? Tell us where you need the powerband and we can help spec a cam.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Well I would like alot of mid/top end power to push the jet. I wanna play with the impeller also to get a few more rpms out of it. I would like to turn like 5500. I think I could with a cam and impeller.
Here is where I'm at:
Berkeley E pump don't know impeller yet.
5000 rpm max right now
Doing about 60 ish.
Stock LS6 '04' cam
1.75 rockers
Edelbrock single plane
Holley 750
Open wet exhaust, no baffles
Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well i rev my ls1 to 7000rpm. They like rpm which means you could always push the engine a little higher to get a little more speed from your current impeller setup right? I have no boating experience at all.

The single plane victor jr is a good intake above 3000rpm. The LS6 cam is not a good match for that intake. Since you are running open exhaust i wouldnt think you would need a whole lot of exhaust duration. The 1.75 rockers give you some extra lift so the cam would need to be ground on like XER lobes or something im assuming.

I would 'guess' a cam around 230/230 on XERs with a 106-108 ls1 which would add a good bit of duration and lift from the LS6 cam, and the narrower LS1 would bring the power band down alot like say start around 2000-2500rpm and pull to around 5500-6000
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

I would make a post over in the Engine Internal section and maybe Predator Z or Patrick G will chime in with their ungodly ammount of knowledge on custom grinding camshafts.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool project but why not an aluminum block or is weight not much of an issue with boats????
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

It is an alum ls6 block. the 5.3l I was playing with was steel and I can't really feel any diff.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

thanks shawn. I didn't think about that much lsa. iI was thinking around 110, 112. But hell I want a choppy idil anyway.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

In response to the jet. A good rule of thumb is what ever it turns on the street, its about a 1000 less in a jetboat.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Haha well there arent too many people running tighter than a 110 lsa. I am not sure how well the cam suggested would work but im going by what i know of cams. Full cam specs would be something like 230/230 .620/.620 (with your 1.75 rockers) on a 108LSA+0

You could just PM " Predator Z" and he will spec you a cam for free.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Ive been wanting to swap a LQ4 / LQ9 into my jet boat since ive owned it! I have 460 Ford in it now....the boat will pull 58mph with 4 people, which isnt bad considering its a 22.5 foot "mini day cruiser" style hull..which is bigger than your average 17-19ft typical river jet boat. Seems to me it would be pretty simple, just make some water pump block off plates with hose barb connections, fab up some side mounts, and (in my case) a bell housing adaptor and crank flange adaptor / spacer so i can retain my current ford pattern bell housing and pump. Starter will bolt to the motor like stock. As far as 02 sensors go, tapping the manifolds close to the cylinders, before the water jackets seems to be the best choice, if possible. It would be nice to run the motor in closed loop, with MAF sensor and all (will compensate for drastic altitude changes and conditions better than a SD tune). Im sure a good SD tune would work perfect though also. Running it in open loop dose'nt look so attractive, at that point I would just slap a carb intake on it and a MSD ignition. My boat has a "A" impeller, which should match the motor's torque curve nicely. ULTRA boats uses a marinized 6.0 LQ4 in their STEALTH line of jet boats they currently sell, and they use a "A" impeller with thier package
Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

The sbc bellhousing bolts right up to the gen III. The power take off which adapts the driveline to the crank has to be modified. The holes don't line up. Also the bolts that come with it don't fit the ls crank and the arp bolts aren't long enough to fit the power take off. So I had thoughs custom made back east. Like I said I could go all day on what I have had to do. But I wouldn't change it for nothing.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Moneyshott
The sbc bellhousing bolts right up to the gen III. The power take off which adapts the driveline to the crank has to be modified. The holes don't line up. Also the bolts that come with it don't fit the ls crank and the arp bolts aren't long enough to fit the power take off. So I had thoughs custom made back east. Like I said I could go all day on what I have had to do. But I wouldn't change it for nothing.
Sounds awsome! Do you have any pics? Also, did you run 02 sensors and A MAF or tune speed density? Open or Closed Loop? Im pretty savy with these motors and tuning, but have'nt played with a boat application yet. Curious as to how to run the wet exhaust through-transom and still include 02 sensors
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Nope. Topped it with a carb. Check out my garage. I got pics in it. Another reason I went this way. I don't wanna have to break out a laptop at the river. I'm on vacation. It's the msd/edelbrock conversion. It uses curve pills.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Ive used the carb kit with the MSD on a couple motors, works pretty well. Seems most motors will make 20 more HP with the Vic JR and a carb over the injected intake, even the LS6 and FAST. Definetly the easiest way to go, I just think it would be nice to get the fuel injection dialed in. Once you set it up right, its usually turn key forever ( USUALLY ! ) OF course if it submarines or sinks....good luck bringing the computer back to life! lol
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Moneyshott: Are those LSx specific exhaust manifolds or? I have been wanting to do a marine swap, but the exhaust has been slowing me down, I have only seen a few companies that make LSx exhaust and they are $$$$.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

They are gen III. They are made by a company in Australia, Rolco is the name. They only bad thing is they don't have reps over here yet. So the shipping was about as much as the parts. I have about 1200 in my simple set up, and I did the bends. They make a whole convertion kit for the gen III. I personally think that these loggs wouldn't handle real big power. If your gonna go wild in the motor, go with a indmar exhaust(if the basterds will sell ya one, they wouldn't to me), or talk to Paul over at bassett headers he said he could do up a set of twisties.

Quick Reply: LSx into Jet Boat??