Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Safety/Clutch Pedal Position Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Neutral Safety/Clutch Pedal Position Switch?

So one day I will hopefully drive this car and I need to finish up some of the wiring to get closer. One of the last things I have to do is figure out what to do with a neutral safety switch and clutch pedal position switch.

This is a T56 car with no cruise control.

In a normal manual car I would expect it not to turn over without the clutch pedal being depressed. How do I do this with the LS1/T56? Does the PCM listen to the CPP and not start unless it's depressed? Or do I need to wire in a NSS to accomplish this? Any Input?

I'm still kinda confused on this part.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help.
Attached Thumbnails Neutral Safety/Clutch Pedal Position Switch?-192808.gif  
Old 06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a neutral switch on T56 cars...

For the clutch switch, that really has nothing to do with the PCM or the LSx swap. That's the big purple wire running from the starter to your ignition switch. Factory auto car would have a park/neutral switch in the middle of it, and factory manual trans car would have the clutch switch in the middle of it. You can either put a factory-style high-current clutch switch in the middle of it, or rig up a microswitch and a relay to the clutch pedal. Or you could not do anything--GM didn't start putting clutch switches in manual trans cars until '68. The Japanese didn't start doing it until the mid 80's.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LS1 pcm's have a clutch antipication wire coming from the pcm. If you don't connect it at all, the car will start normally. I am not sure how it would have to be connected, in a conversion, for it to work.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z28 clutch position switch is triple pole, single throw. One circuit of the switch grounds PCM C1-32, the next circuit of the switch provides power to the coil of the starter relay (BCM provides ground to the relay), and the last circuit is run in series with a brake pedal switch to provide power to the D terminal of the cruise control module.

If you don't feed a clutch switch to the PCM, it's easier to stall when letting out the clutch smoothly when you're stopped. Haven't found anything else it seems to affect.

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety/Clutch Pedal Position Switch?