Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Grand Prix GTP RWD conversion with LSx/T56

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might want to check out morad parts company dot com they are a 3800 wrecker and are very close to you. Always have many s/c motors complete or short blocked. They also have reasonable prices too.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I am good friends with Ed Morad and may be getting a job there in the near future.

Anyhow, I have an update on my project: Next week I'll be taking delivery of a 2002 LQ4 with accessories, but not PCM/Intake/TB.

What are my options as far as a transmission and intake setup? It has 317 heads on it.

The corvette drive train is a good idea, but it's just going to cost too much money. I have a buddy who owns a shop local here who is going to give me a good rate on labor to go ahead with the live axle plan next year. This engine is the first step!

Help me out guys!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I don't want to give away too many secrets however, I'm using a 700r4 just because I have it. You could grab a tranny that was mated to the LQ4 so you can use the wiring harness and computer to power it. You can use a LS1/6 style intake.

I'm not using the corvette drivetrain nor am I using a live axle. I have something different in mind.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Any other IRS setup i wouldn't trust with the power. Thats why i am going with a live axle.

-From Mobile
Old 12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any other IRS setup i wouldn't trust with the power. Thats why i am going with a live axle.
You'd be hard pressed to break a mazda rx7 turbo II rear with the usual LS1 build. Many RX-7 guys run 'em bone stock. I have a family member with 600+ hp thru a stock daily driven RX7 IRS w/o issue!

That's one IRS but there are stout others.

If you want a live axle, then all the power to ya!!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Hmm. I suppose. I still like the idea of a live axle, i think in the short term it'll cut down on the install costs.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:21 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

FireFox05...there was a Company here in Houston(Conley's Performance Plus, long gone now) that had a customer's GTP converted to real-wheel drive and they utilized the Old 3.8 Grand National engine. The guy wanted to sell it at an unbelievable price. Anyway, not sure if you're familiar with them or this particular customer. If I run across this set up or guy, I'll send him your way with any info or advice he may have to offer.

Good Luck and it should be a very unique ride indeed!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

They wanted $55,000 for that car many years ago. They said they invested over $90K.

There have been many others since then and have done it for less than that!! haha!

So far I only have $2500CDN in mine and that includes the car!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks Q, I have been in contact with conely (they are still around so far as i know) and they said that the owner of the car decided to hang on to it after it was for sale for several years.
I have been talking extensivly with a guy in CT who is doing the swap in exactly the same way as me, but he's sticking with the V6 and i want the correct number of cylenders. But he's using the same rear end setup, so its cool that i can learn from his trial and error.

I also found out i can get ahold of a LQ4 for around $800 locally, so thats gonna be nice for the wallet. A T56 is looking like a different story though. Cant seem to find any around here.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same issue when trying to find a T56. I found one but they wanted big bucks for it and it was high mileage.

I purchased my 88K LQ4 for $250 from LKQ

Eaton_Rice has a pretty good setup. I also am following his work. I don't agree with his 6cyl either as there is tons of room under the hood!!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Teching In

hey did this car ever get finished?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

i would also love to know lol
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

He had this other thread. Doesn't seem like anything but dreaming.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html
Old 07-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Banned

Default 98 Grand Prix GTP RWD conversion with LSx/T56

I know this thread is old, but you know that the W-body actually is rear-wheel drive based. It's just that the W-body cars are only front-wheel drive for some strange reason - could be fuel economy or to stay unique from the Panther, and GM's own B-body.

By the way, the new Impalas are no longer based on the W-body. Instead it's based on the front-wheel drive, long-wheelbase Super Epsilon platform like the Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XTS. If you want a brand-new rear-wheel drive car you gotta buy the new SS which replaces both the Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet's own Impala SS.

Last edited by Jason Haddad; 07-03-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM

Default easy peasy

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that, this is an easy conversion lol, well kind of, i did it with a camaro 3.8 swapped over into a grand prix and it went really well, i'm not the OP, just saying its a cool drive I'm gonna be doing another one soon (i crashed the old one a year after building it) with a 5.3 on a T56 not pipe dreaming like OP (not to dis, the idea is awesome and i think reading this thread inspired me the first time)
Old 10-02-2022, 03:36 PM

I've got a 2002 Grand Prix sedan anniversary edition that I bought without a title that was going to be scrapped... Anyway... I had an idea for a front wheel drive forward facing big block grand Prix GTP drag car... Because I've got the stuff and a welder... And wouldn't it be cool?? I also have an old GMC rv with a front wheel drive big block olds (unified powerplant) like the ones used in the old Toranados! Seems easy enough for a car that mainly needs to go straight fast!! The powerplant would go without a car body attached to it... So... lift the front end and roll in powerplant and weld it up... Might have to do some firewall work 🤔😅 but I was curious if you had any thoughts or suggestions or could point out any potential issues I may be overlooking!?! If anyone happens to see this... Please feel free to shoot me an idea or tell me it can't be done! 😂 Thanks

Quick Reply: 98 Grand Prix GTP RWD conversion with LSx/T56