Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how is the t56 reverse lamp switch wried?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how is the t56 reverse lamp switch wried?

my 69 camaro has two green wires for the back up lamps. when i had a muncie in the car i hooked a green wire to each terminal on the back up switch.

i ordered a reverse lamp connector from ebay for my t56 and it has a green and a brown wire. i assumed it was like my old switch and hooked one of my green wires from the car to the green and brown wire on the connector. needless to say it didnt work.

so is the brown wire a ground and the green power?

**its on the passenger side of the trans right...

Last edited by DCx; 06-20-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switch is on the driver's side. Are you sure you are in reverse? Tranny should have a lockout solenoid that keeps you out of reverse over 3 or 4 miles per hour.
Attached Thumbnails how is the t56 reverse lamp switch wried?-t56.gif  
Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

I think thats the picture of a T5 or the V6 trans whatever it is. The t-56 is on the passenger side.

I had this on my site, but the rest of my diagrams are at home. Looks like power.

This is the driverside of a T-56, it has reverse lockout and skip shift.

Last edited by stealth71; 06-20-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

On my 68, the green wires run to a connector on the firewall. I used an unmodified '99 LS1/T56 harness and connected C220-G (BRN) to the hot terminal of that connector and C220-H (LT GRN) to the terminal that ran to the backup lights. After replacing my left bulb and cleaning both backup light sockets & housings for good ground connection, I finally had backup lights for the first time since I've owned the car .

Are you sure you were actually in reverse, not 5th?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:01 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

i was in reverse. i backed it out of the garage and drove it around the block. a user on pro touring told me to run 12v to the brown wire and hook the backup lamps to the green wire. ill give that a try.

im running a carbed setup, reverse is easy to get to without the lockout functioning.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tested this on my Chevelle..have not done it yet.. but I unplugged my wire/connectors on top of my Steering column, where the two wire going into the switch on the column (at the base of the column, yes it was an auto/column shifter before). I shorted the two together and the lights came on.. I am going to run two wire from there to the connector on the Trans switch (T56) and it should work ! This is only one way.

I also thought of using a relay in place of the oem switch on the steering column and then using the T56 switch as a grounding switch to activate the relay to short the two wires together. That way, there would be no hot current running to the switch on the Trans.

I think most of this should work with your 69 Camaro backup switch.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM
neh
Teching In

The switch should just connect the two wires, bring a 12+ to one side and run the other wire to your taillights, or thats how mine works. If it matters I think I have + to the forward terminal. Have you got a multimeter?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stealth71
I think thats the picture of a T5 or the V6 trans whatever it is. The t-56 is on the passenger side.

I had this on my site, but the rest of my diagrams are at home. Looks like power.

This is the driverside of a T-56, it has reverse lockout and skip shift.

Nice posting! I'll be using this info today. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just connected the two wires as I had stated before 6/20, reply #6 of this thread and my backup light came on and work everytime I go into reverse.

and yes, the T56 backup switch in on the passenger side of the trans..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how is the t56 reverse lamp switch wried?