Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-56 in my 64 Nova

Old 06-25-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-56 in my 64 Nova

Well it's transmission time around my garage. I don't have enough money to pay off the national debt but I'm not broke either. I'm thinking of installing a T-56 in the old Nova and wondered who if anyone has done it and who would have the best price for the conversion parts??? It has a 350 Turbo installed in it right now and there isn't a great deal of room for anything much bigger. Will it fit and if not what mods do I need to perform to make it fit? Any help, comments, etc. would be great.

RGJ
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My understanding is that the tunnel has to be completely reworked in order to get the trans to fit. Several of the guys on Stevesnovasite have done the conversion, you may want to swing by the site and do a search.

Jack
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you using a Aftermarket T56, LT1 or LS1 Configured T56 ? Aftermarket and LT1 T56 will be the easiest to install, as you can used normal bellhousing and clutch setup.

If using a LS1 T56, The Flywheel, Clutch, Throwout bearing, Input shaft are setup a bit different.

Suggest you reseach if your not sure a this time.

It is possible that your Trans Tunnel may need so adjustments...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys that's the kind of data I'm looking for. I haven't purchased anything yet but will soon. I have talked to one vendor about a TKO 600 five speed but nothing about a six speed. The TKO has a 36% overdriven 5th gear so that would help and they have an install kit the includes a patch panel to expand the trans tunnel. I like the ratio's of my Z06 in that it will drag that light weight car around at 50 in sixth gear without any complaints and knock down 25 mph back and forth to work. The Nova will come in at about the same weight or less with a bit more torque than the Z. It should be plenty fast and get good mileage as well. I would like to use it as my DD when it's finished.

RGJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-56 in my 64 Nova