Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good price for a LS1/T56 for a swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good price for a LS1/T56 for a swap?

I've been looking for a few weeks now for an LS1/T56 combo to put in my 69 vette.

Seems eBay wants premiums for theirs. And I've been looking on this site for some but haven't had much luck either. But I found one on Craigslist somewhat locally for $3100 but it has 127k miles.

I know the T56 is more than the auto but is $3100 for a complete swap a decent price? all accessories, sensors, ....
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say that is an ok price. 6 years ago I paid $3500 for my LS1/T56 with everything.. what year is it (hope it is not a 97-98) ?... Have seen both lower and way to higher !

127k is a bit high, but if the oil was changed and it was not abused, it should last for another 100k (if you don't abuse it LOL)
Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I don't normally sell complete swaps, BUT I have a motor complete with all accessories, computer, wiring harness, etc, etc. It came out of a 2000 TA, and only has 90,000 miles. I heard it run before it was pulled, and it was perfect. I need $2000 for it. I was getting ready to put it up on Ebay & Craigslist, and here on this site. But if you want it, I'll sell it to you.

We specialize in building performance T56 transmissions and clutch kits. I can sell you a built f-body style T56 for $1900 outright (good for 650rw). Go to www.diamondclutch.com and I can give you 15% off any kit on the site and free shipping on the clutch. The Stg2 complete is the most popular setup, as it's very streetable and is good for 550rw. It's normally $759 and includes a new billet lightweight flywheel and slave cylinder. Your price with the purchase of the trans is 650 shipped. I can get you a new stock bellhousing for $230 or a Quick Time steel one for $480. I can also supply all the necessary bolts (bellhousing, trans, flywheel, and pressure plate) all for $40.
I's recommend going with a Tilton 13/16in or 7/8in Master cylinder, available from Jegs/Summit for 105 bucks. Speedway motors is the only place I know of that has the hydraulic line that connects the aftermarket master to the GM slave cylinder, but its only 50 bucks.

This should have you covered on most everything you'll need. Let me know if I can help you out! Contact info is below. Thanks!

-Jason
Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

You won't get much of a better deal than Jason is offering. I would swap an LS6 intake onto it and put in a new Tchain, ported oil pump, ARP rod bolts and upgraded cam/springs, rebuild the rocker arms (Comp cams makes a kit). With headers that should make 400rwhp+.

Most T56's beyond about 80K miles are pretty worn out. Plus they have some flaws in the factory design/parts that a rebuild with the upgraded parts takes care of.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
I would say that is an ok price. 6 years ago I paid $3500 for my LS1/T56 with everything.. what year is it (hope it is not a 97-98) ?... Have seen both lower and way to higher !

127k is a bit high, but if the oil was changed and it was not abused, it should last for another 100k (if you don't abuse it LOL)
It's coming out of a 2000 Trans Am. Which isn't into the LS1's with the LS6 intakes right? As I think those were only in 01/02?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Here's my worries. Although i've been doing a body off restoration on my 69 I'm learning as I go and before I started I didn't know all that much about cars. And I still know nothing about engines and transmissions...

So I was hoping a engine/trans combo would make this swap a lot less stressful the first time around. Making it just a drop in, and figure out the wiring pretty much.

Then once it's in and running I can take it apart and learn how to restore the engine stuff at a later date....

Although I appreciate TDP's offer. $2k + $1.9k + shipping+ extra upgrade part costs puts me far beyond the $3100 at my door for this used swap. Although no upgrades on the cheap one so....
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I just traded my WS6 for a '75 Corvette convertible, which I want to pull the 406/th400 out of and swap in an LS-based engine and T56. I've been watching Craigslist, Ebay, etc the same as you. I've seen a few complete pullouts for $2500 with unknown mileage, but I'd say probably comparable to what you are looking at. I'm not ready to buy yet until I sell the engine/trans that I have, but I'll have to make some hard decisions when I do as to whether I want to hold out for an actual LS1, or look into an LQ9, LQ4, or even a 5.3.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah.. the LS1 with the LS6 intakes were only on the 01' and 02's.

Bolting the LS1 in shouldn't be any harder that doing any other swap.. as long as you get the correct swap mounts..

Just go for it and if you need help. .just ask.. suggest you research some of the other Vette / LSx swaps and FAQ to get a better knowledge base of what your in for..

Once you know what that is. .it well become much more easy to understand and do.

Good Luck..

BC
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Visit car-part.com and search.

I picked up a complete LS1/T56 drop out from a 2002 Camaro with 40K miles for $3900 4 months ago.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Although I appreciate TDP's offer. $2k + $1.9k + shipping+ extra upgrade part costs puts me far beyond the $3100 at my door for this used swap. Although no upgrades on the cheap one so....
Just remember, you get what you pay for. With a used T56, you can expect to have to get it built/upgraded. I charge $680 as a starting price, with the max being $1600. Also, it would be a good idea to get rid of the stock worn-out clutch/flywheel/clutch hydraulics. It will run $700-800 for most good aftermarket clutch setups, and the slave/master. The parts I'm selling will end up being around $4800, not including the master cylinder or hydraulic line, plus shipping.
It's still cheaper than 3100 + $2000 (estimate) or so to get the good parts that you won't have to worry about.
Not to toot my own horn, but I charge less than most other similar places do

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

I bought a wrecked 01 Z28 from copart.com for $4100 and then proceeded to sell off all the parts from the car to offset the cost of the car. I ended up with about $2200 from all the little parts I sold, but I did keep some of the high dollar items like perfect ebony leather seats, door panels, the motor, 6 speed transmission, wiring, brakes, and rear end. I got lucky and the car had a factory SS hood in great shape and a factory SS spoiler which both brought a premium. For me this was the easiest way to go, but I know not everyone has the room to store an extra car or the knowledge to tear it apart and part it out.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is not the norm... ! But I picked up donner last year. complete 2002 Z28 for $1750.. kept what I wanted and sold of fthe rest (make $3000+ in parts).. If you see my 71' Nova build thread it talks about this.. My 1st one was a pull-out that costed me $3500, so I was really happy on finding the Donner for $1750 !

So.. bottom line.. if you look around, wait long enough or just get lucky. You might get what you want at a good price.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep 127k miles definetly replace the clutch while the motor is out of the car, plus you can expect sensors to start taking a crap(02s etc).

You are on the right track though, get a complete motor and trans fromt he same car with the harness and all itll keep you from being annoyed trying to piece together tiny litle stuff.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Teching In

What do you do with what's left over after most of the parts of the car are sold off?

Do people want frames and all that? or do you just take it to a scrap yard after you sell what you can?

I have some room if I park my HyHoe outside for the winter that I could put a wreaked car in and start selling parts of it... I just need to find places that sell wrecked LSx cars.

copart.com is one place..... any others?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Default LS swap

Punisher,

Contact Travis over on pro-touring.com (daytonayellaz). He has been in the pull-out business for over a year. He is a great guy to work with, very knowledgeable on the LS swaps, and is always just a cell phone call away! I bought an LS2/4L70E combo from him back in Jan and still call him with questions as I'm finishing up my swap. Alot of guys have bought from Trav and will tell you the same... he's a great guy to deal with.

TC
Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Punisher - I sold off everything that could be, what was left of the body was scraped for metal, K-member was just sold, Glass, doors, suspension, Interior, exterior parts, small parts, you name it. I still have a few parts left over and just dumped what was not marketable (which was not too much).

Major parts I am using are the Engine and all of the wiring and accessories, Trans, Fans and brakes.

Posting in Forums (LS1Tech or others), Craiglist, etc.. parts can go fast depending on what you price them for.

The plus about doing a whole Donner car.. is that you also hae extra parts to use, them small parts can add up during the swap !

BC
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Punisher - I sold off everything that could be, what was left of the body was scraped for metal, K-member was just sold, Glass, doors, suspension, Interior, exterior parts, small parts, you name it. I still have a few parts left over and just dumped what was not marketable (which was not too much).

Major parts I am using are the Engine and all of the wiring and accessories, Trans, Fans and brakes.

Posting in Forums (LS1Tech or others), Craiglist, etc.. parts can go fast depending on what you price them for.

The plus about doing a whole Donner car.. is that you also hae extra parts to use, them small parts can add up during the swap !

BC
Yeah. I've got a large basement and an unused attic that I can store parts in. And although space is limited it is there if I need it....
I'd like to do the donor car but I'm worried i'll be stuck sell parts off it for months before I clear the room for the actual swap... So right now i'm still leaning a bit for just the engine/trans I guess to keep it simple.
It'll save me a lot of time/effort, just not money.
Name:  IMG_1301.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  66.3 KB

Quick Reply: Good price for a LS1/T56 for a swap?