Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 engine harness options

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 engine harness options

I did some searching but couldn't really find what I'm looking for. Here's what I have. Im putting an L92 with no dod or vvt into an rx7 chassis. I know I'm changing the cam out and using an Ls2 timing chain setup. I'm using a cable TB, and an LS3 intake mani with the stock truck coils along with an LS1 oil pan. Im going to have to swap the crank out or the wheel but I'll be using the 24x crank reluctor. What harness would be best for this setup? I'm guessing I can use the LS1/LS2 harness but is there a difference in those harnesses besides the knock sensors? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Neil
Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LS2 would only be DBW, if you are running cable, you would want one for an LS1 or truck 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 etc...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Right on. Im using cable TB...I can use any of those harnesses then?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Neil,

If you are converting over to an LS3 intake manifold, the easiest and least expensive option is to get one of the new GMPP harnesses. Keep the DBW, use an LS2/3/7 throttle body. Why would you want to take out the crank and mes with all that?

There are details of my L92 to LS3 conversion in the link in my sig.

Andrew
Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

i dont want the hassle and cost of buying the gm electric pedal. It will look out of place in my little mazda. assuming I was able to get a truck harness, what do I do about the T56? can I make my own tranny harness?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastrx7turbo
i dont want the hassle and cost of buying the gm electric pedal.
Man, I got my pedal from an '07 or '08 Vette, it looks perfectly at home in a car - and it was only about $80. You're talking about a LOT more expense & hassle to remove it...

Good luck w/ the project though.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GMPP harnesses recommended by Andrew are intended for manual (T56) applications.

They are built for the crate engines, it would be much simpler than modding a truck harness.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Default harness possibilites

hey man im currently putting a 6.2 l92 into my 71 chevelle, and im keeping the long block stock, and using a l76 intake from scoggin dickie, with a mast motorsports ecu and harness, its all plug and play drive by wire, and im keeping the vvt feature. hopefully it will go in as easily as it sounds, but im sure you know how that goes when you change things, ha

Wilson.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by onefastrx7turbo
i dont want the hassle and cost of buying the gm electric pedal. It will look out of place in my little mazda. assuming I was able to get a truck harness, what do I do about the T56? can I make my own tranny harness?
I used a pedal from a 2007 Monte Carlo SS. It was less than $50 and is tidy and simple to mount.

Andrew
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Andrew, how much are these harnesses? I have found used ls1 harnesses and ecms for under $500. I understand these are used parts but still...not to say that I'm on a budget, but I just don't want to spend money needlessly. I have a set of japanese only mazda pedals and I want to keep them if possible...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

The harness kit from GM is around $900.
As long as you leave the engine stock, you are good. If you need to have the computer programmed, you will have to find someone with the GM tool and software to be able to reprogram the computer entirely.

The VVT stuff won't work with the GM wiring either, but since you weren't planning on using it, there should be no problem. You will need to put the proper connector end for the cam sensor wiring on the front of the engine if you don't change out the front timing cover and swap to the LS2/LS3 style jumper harness.

But the GM package is a pretty good deal. Especially for a stick shift car running a stock engine.

But no, you wouldn't be able to keep the fancy japanese pedals unless you figure out how to get the APP sensor from the Vette pedal to work on them.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jones'n
The harness kit from GM is around $900.
As long as you leave the engine stock, you are good. If you need to have the computer programmed, you will have to find someone with the GM tool and software to be able to reprogram the computer entirely.

The VVT stuff won't work with the GM wiring either, but since you weren't planning on using it, there should be no problem. You will need to put the proper connector end for the cam sensor wiring on the front of the engine if you don't change out the front timing cover and swap to the LS2/LS3 style jumper harness.

But the GM package is a pretty good deal. Especially for a stick shift car running a stock engine.

But no, you wouldn't be able to keep the fancy japanese pedals unless you figure out how to get the APP sensor from the Vette pedal to work on them.
What he said. LOL

The harness kits also come with 2 O2 sensors, an LS7 MAF, and the electronic pedal. I didn't use the pedal that came with the kit because it fairly awful. But the Monte Carlo pedal is inexpensive and plugs right in. There are details in my build thread about it. Link in sig.

Andrew
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of the responses guys! The harness kit sounds like a good idea if I cant find a used ls1 pcm/harness. I will most likely just change the reluctor on the crank if
i caan't find a crank cheap enough. I am going to use speed density so no use for the maf anyway.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Neil,

If you are converting over to an LS3 intake manifold, the easiest and least expensive option is to get one of the new GMPP harnesses. Keep the DBW, use an LS2/3/7 throttle body. Why would you want to take out the crank and mes with all that?

There are details of my L92 to LS3 conversion in the link in my sig.

Andrew
+1

You can get the GMPP harness for just over $800 which includes the DBW accel pedal.

Keep in mind that if you want to use an older stype Gen3 PCM+harness with a cable operated TB; you'll have to go with an aftermarket TB and they're ridiculously overpriced !! For a 4-bolt 90mm (same size as the stock DBW TB) the cheapest I found were $300.

So keeping the DBW may save you money when you factor in the cost of the Gen3 harness and additional modifications needed, new TB, reluctor wheel etc.

Not keeping the DBW will definitley cost you more money.

Last edited by Hans Grüber; 07-30-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

I see...it looks like I may be stuck with the DBW =( I will have to mod the pedal so that it will accept the rx7 pedal at the very least. If I'm going to keep the DBW, I may as well use a stock L92 harness right? If Im going to use the 58X crank reluctor there really isnt a reason to not use it? I will be using a T56, can I just splice in the connectors and such for the T56 into the l92 truck harness?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Do you already have the L92 truck harness?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Hans, that's an awesome name by the way, those are great movies! I don't have a harness yet. It seems nearly impossible to find a harness for any LSX engine. I'm assuming I have to use a gm pedal, pedal harness, L92 truck harness, mod it to accept a t56 tranny, and then use either HPtuners or LS1edit to edit out the vats, secondary 02, skip shift, etc etc. On a side note, if I use the DBW, will I be able to use the cruise control? are there any failures of the throttle body actuator or the pedal going bad? I don't want to be in the middle of traffic or something and be stuck at idle with a bad DBW mechanism....
Old 07-31-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Have you contacted any of the aftermarket Harness companies to see if they can do anything for you, or supply you with options and prices to really figure out which route you want to go?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: The engine arrived today. I was very surprised to see the engine harness, ecm, and the intake manifold with the TB on it. This is out of an '07 Escalade. Assuming the harness is good and the ecm isn't fried, I can just slap the stock TB on the ls3 manifold and reflash the ecm right? The TB is big, it looks to be about 90mm or so...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I believe the L92 throttle body is a little smaller than the LS2/3/7 throttle body. I think it is 85mm. It will bolt up to an LS3 intake, but it may cause interference with other components. I would just get the LS3 throttle body. The connector will be the same.

Out of curiosity, what is the ECM code? It should be stamped between the ribs.

Andrew

Quick Reply: L92 engine harness options