Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Here's another guy that has "just" started learning.
OK guys. I tried this in the Gen III engine section but don't seem to interest anyone. I've been gazing through the mods for the LS1 with a lot of interest. I've read and I've read....and read. I can't seem to find the answer. I guess I'm a little more of an old school guy so I feel I have much to re-learn. You know....grew up with big blocks, solid lift cams, and carbs. And yep....I'm bald.

I'm building my project as a daily driver...but keep in mind that I love the super rough choppy idle. Even like surge at idle. Dont mind it taking a stall now and then. Distance to work....7 miles. Occasional weekend trip abroad. Drop out came from a 01 WS6. I hope to keep the 241's. Have to build my own headers. Bought the 1 3/4 into 3.5 kit with lots of extra bends. No emission worries. No cat. Most likely single chamber Flowmasters. On mods. Making my own sort of ram air intake under radiator splash pan. Probably ditch the composite intake for something shiney (Polished Weind, Fast intake (polish myself)?).4L60E. 28" tires. 3.45 C4 Dana 44 IRS. New to the whole tuning thing...in fact...fairly new to fuel injection. Got a taste of it with my Greddy turbo charged RX8. Yes...ricer. But I'm back with the big boys again. I hate my car....tuning nightmare! Plan on taking one of the on-line software/tuner coarses I've seen listed somewhere in one of these threads. So, I will learn to tune this motor. Have to.

Over all...main goal is for the LS1 to stand out in all its glory (no engine skirts). Polishing everything. And have the pop of valve over lap. 400-500 HP?

With all of this said....I like the T-Rex but I'm concerned about the 4000 stall for street use. I would assume it would be constantly stalled anything below 4000 grand. There goes the gas mileage. LOL's. Just kidding not really all that worried about that. Just worried about overworking the transmission.

Any thoughts? Good or bad. I take criticism well.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

How much is it going to weight altogether?

I have a MS4 with a 3k stall for my s10. Everybody said it was too low, but I mentioned that my s10 will weight around 2600-2700 lbs total, which is alot less then a f-body, hence the reason to not need such a high stall to net the same results.

Anyways, my truck is not running yet, so I dont really know how that helps.

But if your not worried about the choppy idle, or surging then bigger is better lol.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The TREX is a huge cam that might cause you to have to notch the pistons for valve clearance. You can get a cam that will have a good lope without going that big. Order something in the range of a 228/232, 588/595, and get a 110LSA. With the short LSA you will have a good lope and lots of low end power. You can also go with a slightly lower stall that way. Get a stall in the 3000 to 3400 range and you'll like it better than the 4000.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9
How much is it going to weight altogether?

I have a MS4 with a 3k stall for my s10. Everybody said it was too low, but I mentioned that my s10 will weight around 2600-2700 lbs total, which is alot less then a f-body, hence the reason to not need such a high stall to net the same results.

Anyways, my truck is not running yet, so I dont really know how that helps.

But if your not worried about the choppy idle, or surging then bigger is better lol.
It been quite a while since I've worried about stall rates. In fact, at least 15 years since my last big cam. Now I can say to "self".....duh. Your absolutely correct. I totally forgot about weight factor and was just thinking about flash RPM and such. How much do these Fbody's weight? I'll try a wiki or something. I'm told the truck weighs 2900 lbs in factory form. With the aluminum drivetrain including rear I'm sure I've cut weight off. Also went with fiberglass fenders/running boards and heard several people say that should cut at least a 100 lbs off. The only trouble is I am adding weight to the frame for stiffening and some interior frills. I guess thats the long way around saying I'm not sure yet. You'd think I could find someone on one of these boards (Hotrodders, Hamb, Clubhotrod...etc) that has done something similar that had a rough figure but I still havent. I am hoping for no more than 2800 lbs. I think I could live with a 3500 stall. Man I love the sound of the T-rex. Your right...bigger is better....if a man can live with the little negative things that go with it. I think I can. Thanks man!

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

It's real easy to get caught up in the big HP numbers as so many do on this forum, but you dont need a cam like the TRex, a simple cam like the tr224 or tr228 or the one stated above is more in line for your goals, 241's will also work in your goals. Drivability always suffers with big cams even old school motors. The advantage of the LSX engines is there very tuneable with the fuel injection. Big cams sound good and for the most part are best suited for big numbers and straight out of the hole, unless of coarse you like down shifting 2 gears to get it in the power range that the cam needs to be in. Although I am not a fully experienced LSX guy the principle is still the same as a sbc only these make easier HP with simple boltons. The primary advantage from a BBC vs SBC was the ability of the BBC being able to breath, the primary advantage of the LS2 vs LS1 is the ability to put bigger valves in for some even better breathing heads due to cylinder bore size of the blocks. The LSX engine primary advantages over the sbc is its light internals and excellant flowing heads compared to the sbc heads. The advantage of light internals is a quick reving motor, disadvantage is tourque is down, to help the tourque issue you need the higher compression. Compression always builds HP & TQ. A 4000 stall will also cause heat build up in your trans, if your not going to drag race this on the dragstrip the 4000 stall for the street cruiser is over kill, unless of coarse you want some bragging rights. My build currently (LS1, 243 Heads, Voodoo Cam 222/228, 3200 stall) is about the same as your goals, I want primarily drivability, gas milage, and the ability to smoke the tires once in a while. I dont intend on taking this to the dragstrip and if I do it will only be to see what it is capable of doing (for bragging rights only of coarse).
Old 07-31-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the look of the engine,if you want a little more of the old school look you can go with a carbed itake with a throttle body.Then relocate your coils and you can use some nice clean valve covers.You can even fab up an air cleaner that sits on top of your motor and run a charge pipe from it to your throttle body.These three things will give it a much better old school apperance if thats what you want.I would stay below 3500 on the stall,you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
The TREX is a huge cam that might cause you to have to notch the pistons for valve clearance. You can get a cam that will have a good lope without going that big. Order something in the range of a 228/232, 588/595, and get a 110LSA. With the short LSA you will have a good lope and lots of low end power. You can also go with a slightly lower stall that way. Get a stall in the 3000 to 3400 range and you'll like it better than the 4000.
Your absolutely correct. I've just been seeing some crazy numbers on the T-Rex. I'll probably give a couple of the vendors a call today and end up with a custom grind. Thanks man.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Coupe
It's real easy to get caught up in the big HP numbers as so many do on this forum, but you dont need a cam like the TRex, a simple cam like the tr224 or tr228 or the one stated above is more in line for your goals, 241's will also work in your goals. Drivability always suffers with big cams even old school motors. The advantage of the LSX engines is there very tuneable with the fuel injection. Big cams sound good and for the most part are best suited for big numbers and straight out of the hole, unless of coarse you like down shifting 2 gears to get it in the power range that the cam needs to be in. Although I am not a fully experienced LSX guy the principle is still the same as a sbc only these make easier HP with simple boltons. The primary advantage from a BBC vs SBC was the ability of the BBC being able to breath, the primary advantage of the LS2 vs LS1 is the ability to put bigger valves in for some even better breathing heads due to cylinder bore size of the blocks. The LSX engine primary advantages over the sbc is its light internals and excellant flowing heads compared to the sbc heads. The advantage of light internals is a quick reving motor, disadvantage is tourque is down, to help the tourque issue you need the higher compression. Compression always builds HP & TQ. A 4000 stall will also cause heat build up in your trans, if your not going to drag race this on the dragstrip the 4000 stall for the street cruiser is over kill, unless of coarse you want some bragging rights. My build currently (LS1, 243 Heads, Voodoo Cam 222/228, 3200 stall) is about the same as your goals, I want primarily drivability, gas milage, and the ability to smoke the tires once in a while. I dont intend on taking this to the dragstrip and if I do it will only be to see what it is capable of doing (for bragging rights only of coarse).
Thanks man. I'm leaning this way as well. I doubt I'll ever go to the dragstrip....cause I just don't care if it faster than someoneelse's. There is always someone faster. Myself and some friend use to be into the bracket racing many years ago...and we were never satisfied with our end results.....always wanted to go faster. I don't want to go down that road again. Too many weekends spent fixing and not enough driving. Really...thanks man.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
As far as the look of the engine,if you want a little more of the old school look you can go with a carbed itake with a throttle body.Then relocate your coils and you can use some nice clean valve covers.You can even fab up an air cleaner that sits on top of your motor and run a charge pipe from it to your throttle body.These three things will give it a much better old school apperance if thats what you want.I would stay below 3500 on the stall,you will be much happier in the long run.
Thanks for the input man. I actually like the retro look of the LS1. I was going to go with the Edelbrock/Carb simply so I wouldnt have to learn the tuning trade....but I think I will keep the fuel injection. I am how-ever looking at the A Bear valve covers. Mostly, I'm getting some serious polishing tools, setting my 16 year old son down, and going to polish everything. I am going to go with some sort of home fab ram air intake under the splash pan. Its actually the easiest way out for me. Clearance issues with radiator. That way I can have some aluminum pipe with a 90 bend...drop down under the radiator and fab a box/filter and intake duct somehow. Havent got that far yet....but getting closer. Thanks.

Dave

Quick Reply: Old dog trying to learn new tricks.