Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Conversion For A 1971 Olds Cutlass

Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Conversion For A 1971 Olds Cutlass

i have a 71 cutlass that i want to put a LS engine into, i currently have the car running with a 350 chevy and a th350 trans, can anybody help me out with by telling me all that i need to buy for the conversion besides getting the motor, and also can i do this by still using my current th350?? i know that i would need sum kind of engine mount kit because of the original cutlass motors have the mount located differently causing a chevy motor to sit farther back into the firewall, so if sumone could give me a site or sumthing where i can get everything i need and or tell me exactly what i need any help would be greatly apprecitted guy thanks!! -Rick-
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Launching!

browse thru the other various threads regarding LSx swaps into other A-bodies, Chevelle etc to get some ideas...I know companies like Hooker Headers make LSx swap headers into these cars as well...

Are you going to run it fuel injected or go to carb with the LSx swap??
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

i did wunt to do the whole LSx carburated swap, but with gas these days and it bieng my daily driver i think id rather go with the F.I. unless doing the carb would be easier to do then id definetely go with that, thanx for the info
Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can research on many of the A-Body guys.. my sig has a link. Also Stealth71 has a long running swap thread.

There are many type or style of Adapter plates.. S&P, ATS, BRP, Hooker, Edelbrock, etc. check with the many Vendor / Sponsor on this site for info and swap parts.. You can use the TH350, but if you can find a complete pull out with both engine and trans with all of the accessories, PCM, wiring.. you will be better off in the long run.

Both S&P and BRP have web sites that have project swaps for A-Body that you can follow along also. I would suggest picking up a set of SBC Frame stands for the engine or making your own out of the 1/4"-3/8" plate and strap metal.

BRP has started marketing a complete kits for the A-Body and others.

"John B" has a great site on doing his Monte! Try searching on his userID.

good luck and keep us posted on the project.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bczee has given you some great advice. Also if you are going to use it for a driver I suggest you go with an overdrive trans. Not only will it drive better, you can get better mpg. Since you had an F body before you know how sweet these motors are. Good luck with your swap. That Cutlass will be sweet. Things you need to address are:

1. How to mount the engine & trans
2. Electronics - Harness mods and ECU
3. Fuel delivery - pump, tank mods if any, pressure regulator and fuel lines.
4. Exhaust
5. Air intake
6. Cooling - Fan(s), hoses etc

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 08-02-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

See Sig
Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

damn ive posted this before and didnt get hardly the advice you guys have given, thanx magic, bczee, stu cool, ryanvv355,
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

I built my on engine mounts in my 65 cutlass using the fbody mounts that came with my engine. Fairly easy to do and allows you to put the engine pretty much were you want it.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Teching In

yea also a good idea but i am nowhere near a fabricator, im more of a take apart a motor and put it all back together type of dude, nor do i got the tools to do any fabricatiing, although i did see a small welding machine at walmart for like 100 i thought wuold be a gd started welding machine its a like 70 amp i dont remember the brand thou i think it was like cambel hauesen or sumthin i cant really recall the exact name but yea i think id leave the fabrication to sumbody else
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

"take apart a motor and put it all back together type of dude" well I can fab better than I can rebuild engines. I leave that to guys like you. The problem is there is not to many swap parts for us non chevy guys. Good luck finding mounts it looks like ryan found some you might want to follow his lead.

Last edited by rockytopper; 08-03-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS Conversion For A 1971 Olds Cutlass