Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Cheap Thrills - LS6 Toyota Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very Cheap Thrills - LS6 Toyota Pickup

I just finished this project and have been driving it to work for the last few weeks. This is a rather low dollar effort that was almost a complete bolt together installation. No welding or fabrication other than a driveshaft and some exhaust welding at a muffler shop. The finished truck weighs 2650#, tracks pretty well on the highway, and is actually a bit of a rocket with good mileage.
My original plans to turbo this thing are on hold until I can sort out the traction and safety issues of this beer can with even more torque.
I started with a basket case beater 86 pickup, got it running and smogged and then sold the drivetrain. I bolted in a bone stock LS6 from a Z06, a built 2004R with a 3000 lockup converter. I picked up a 3.73 8.8 rear end from an Explorer (31 spline posi) which was a direct boltin to the Toyota leaf springs.
I found a set of Ebay Mustang wheel and tire takeoffs that had the correct offset and bolt pattern to just bolt on the truck.
I use the MSD ignition box with a Megasquirt ECU (which only took a little time to solder) and it ran right off of the startup program. There is absolutely no pretense about this being a smooth, good looking custom hybrid. It rattles , drones or roars in the cab depending on what the engine is doing, and is a thrill to drive at all times. I got exactly what I was looking for, a low budget rat.
If anyone has any interest I can give specifics about the install and what I have learned parts wise. Mac
Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Post Pictures Please!!!! And as much info as you can possbily give. I have an 85' Toyota Xtra cab 4x4 I was dreaming about putting an LS type motor in. The 22RE just doesn't do it for me.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:p ics:
Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should be fun!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Default 4x4 install questions

Originally Posted by Kurlee Daddee
Post Pictures Please!!!! And as much info as you can possbily give. I have an 85' Toyota Xtra cab 4x4 I was dreaming about putting an LS type motor in. The 22RE just doesn't do it for me.
I should have my camera back soon. The 4 wheel drive should be an easier install because the motor and body seem to sit higher above the chassis than the 2 wd. The torsion bars on the earlier pickups really created clearance problems for header and exhaust routing on the 2wd. I had to run a LS1 oil pan but you may be able to get by with a truck pan also.

I bought my mounts from Northwest Offroad or some similar place. I had to mix and match with basic Moroso solid mounts to get the motor to sit properly, but the 4WD application may just bolt in as designed with these mounts.

I have no experience with the matchup with the Toyota trans or transfer case. It is probably stronger than you expect. The low end torque of these motors is simply amazing. I suspect that the stock gears would pull well even with taller tires. Feel free to send me a PM with questions but I have never done a 4WD swap yet. Mac
Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Smile 4wd yota

im bout to start on a 88 yota but i want to change it to straight axle an i got an ls1 with .581 comp cam im wanting to use 4l60 an transfer case out a wrecked 03 4wd trailblazer i got n my yard. im trying to figure out what kinda front straight axle to use as the trailblazer fransfer case front driveshaft come out on the drivers side an all the yota tuff is on the pass. side. any info will help jus tryn to build a beater mud slinger/ skimmer with a lil gas lol. pm me if anybody got info or pics
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Definitly post up pics and more details! My dad has an 87 toyota so ill be watching
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Here's a buildup of an LSx in a 4Runner.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571501

Quick Reply: Very Cheap Thrills - LS6 Toyota Pickup