Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensors, do you have to??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensors, do you have to??

So I was wondering what the computer would do if you had no o2 sensors? Does it just not run worth a poop? Do you have to run the front o2's for these motors to run? I am guessing I just need to find some kind of extenders to bolt up to the end of the manifolds that have bungs in them as my exhaust doesn't have them at all.

Orlando
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

If your using a pcm, then i would say yes you need at least the front o2's. They help the computer decide your fuel trims. Is there a way to tune the pcm to not need o2's? maybe i have no idea.

good luck
Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are not a necessity but if its a street car i would highly recommend them. they will only benefit your mileage and light throttle drivability.

i dont have any on my car and it runs fine, but its not driven on the street.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

They're not a necessity to the engine running. Without them I believe the engine will still run, however it will throw codes for the O2 sensors not properly working, and it won't be able to tell if it's running rich or worse, running lean, other than following it's pre-programmed tables. Other than the milage thing I still wouldn't risk it for the chance that the engine might run lean, especially possible if you have bolt-ons but no re-tune for them.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so I have stock truck manifolds and a 2.5 inch exhaust that I plan on re-using on the truck (less then 1000 miles on it). Is there a place I can get a small adaptor with the o2 bung on it, or is it best to just buy the bung, drill out the exhaust and have someone come weld them on for me?

Orlando
Old 08-13-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Bungs are cheap. I would just buy some and install them in the pipes you already have. If you can't weld them in yourself I'm sure an exhaust shop wouldn't charge too much if you brought the pipes to them. Just Install your exhaust first so you can mark were the o2 sensors need to go and so they don't interfere whith anything else under the car. Depending were you put them, you might need o2 extensions too. Just try to get them as close to the manifolds as you can.

Quick Reply: o2 sensors, do you have to??