Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS376/480 in 73 Camaro

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS376/480 in 73 Camaro

Hey I'm looking to install a new crate motor in my camaro. I want to do it all myself, so it needs to be pretty simple, which is why I was thinking the LS376/480 would be good. This would give me plenty of horsepower out of the box and i wouldn't have to do anything.
Anyways I was wondering what else I would need to make it a simple install. Here is what I'm looking at so far:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...4-P2218C2.aspx
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P2221C242.aspx

Also does anyone know if the F-body oil pan will work? Here is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1037C121.aspx
On second thought, do i even need a different oil pan? It kinda looks liek it comes with the F-body one. Can anyone confirm?

I was also looking for a suggestion as to a good set of headers and motor mount adapter brackets.

Am I forgetting anything else that I will need for the installation?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pan is from a new Corvette for that crate motor.

You need to figure out your fuel system.
New tank or sump yours.
Inline or intank pump.
New fuel lines.
What trans are you going to use? You will need the correct flexplate or flywheel.
What accessory drive system, F, Y, CTS, GTO? GMPP has a kit for that too.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What he said about the pan. I am not sure which pan you need ut someone here will know.

Crate Motor Depot are great guys to deal with. If you talk to Mike Morgan he should be able to help out also.

The guys at Car Shop have done many conversions. They also have a front drive system and are sponsors here.

Robin
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Teching In

I'll probably sump my tank, and put an inline pump. My dad recently did that with a ford (yuck!)conversion he did with my brother. I would like to keep my TH350 for now if possible? As for the accessory drive system, does it make a difference? Is one better than the other?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The f body pan is what you want. I used the f body accessories as well for clearance issues with the frame. I am not sure if the vette setup works or not.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks! Any opinion on the the headers and motor mount adapters?
I've also been thinking maybe it would be better to just replace my fuel tank anyways. I've seen some around specifically for these conversions, but who makes the best one for the best deal? I cant seem to find them now lol

Last edited by kwalls007; 08-19-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

may check-out BRP's stuff, Im using the LH8 oil pan but might switch to a Fbody pan if I dont like the clearence once its installed. www.musclerods.com
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwalls007
Thanks! Any opinion on the the headers and motor mount adapters?
I've also been thinking maybe it would be better to just replace my fuel tank anyways. I've seen some around specifically for these conversions, but who makes the best one for the best deal? I cant seem to find them now lol
I made my own mounts from the stock 4th gen motor mount stands. Pacesetter longtube from the 4th gen cars ar what most use. They require minor mods to make them work. As far as oil pans I wouldnt waste money on a lh8 or whatever oil pan, use the stock f body one.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
may check-out BRP's stuff, Im using the LH8 oil pan but might switch to a Fbody pan if I dont like the clearence once its installed. www.musclerods.com
Are you using the LS3 as well?

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I made my own mounts from the stock 4th gen motor mount stands. Pacesetter longtube from the 4th gen cars ar what most use. They require minor mods to make them work. As far as oil pans I wouldnt waste money on a lh8 or whatever oil pan, use the stock f body one.
The Pacesetter headers sound good to me, i just wanted to know of a set that definitely works in the second gen without much modifying. As for motor mounts, I'll probably just buy some adapters, since what I've found so far haven't been that expensive and it would save me quite a bit of a hassle. I'm not very good at welding haha. Problem is, I don't know how to tell if they will fit my application or not. And I just wanna say, your car is beautiful man!

And yea, just to simplify things, I'm just going to get an F body oil pan to replace the corvette one.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

im using a LS1 with the LH8 pan...but there is no difference besides C.I. in a LS1 and LS3, I have a friend doing a L92 in his 71 Chevelle and motor mounts are the same, he is using a BRP kit too.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pan on that crate motor is better than an F body pan. Has better internal baffles and will give better clearance. It is an inch or so shallower than the F body. Plus you can't just change the pan. You will also need to swap the windage tray and oil pump pickup. But you don't need to replace the pan.

BTW, you are forgetting a half million things in the swap. The motor and pan are the easy part. Crate motors come without accesories, computer and harness. They also come with the vette waterpump.

I have an F body alternator bracket that I have machined down to fit the vette belt routing. If you are going to run an alternator only I will gladly sell the bracket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS376/480 in 73 Camaro