Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2nd swap. 86 Trans AM finally on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My 2nd swap. 86 Trans AM finally on the road!

Hey all. Most of you have seen me around here and might remember my black 87 TA ( in my sig). I had a bit of misfortune with her and she got all bent up.

So I purchased an 86 to take her place. Very low mileage car and very clean. Set about stripping it down and moving all of the good parts from the 87 to the 86. I did things a bit different, and I think the new car came out a lot cleaner, tighter, and nicer. Everything got swapped over. motor, trans, 12-bolt, all the suspension, all the gauges and some of the interior. The only thing I did to the 86 besides strip it and put it back together is I sprayed the engine bay, installed SFCs, and layed a couple pieces of dynamat down.

The wiring is more organized, I retained all of the insulation so its quieter, and I took the time to fit certain pieces so that it all looks as factory as possible. Things that I didnt take the time to do last go around.

I have a ton of pictures, but for now, Im just going to post my "finished" pics. If anyone wants to see anything else...I can probably post it.

Things that I have left to do... I need to finish removing the sticker stripe above the GFX. Im also going to repaint the car pretty soon. Same color..just fresher and better clear coat. I have to break in the LS7 clutch...but other than that Im just going to enjoy her!

Exterior...

Engine bay...

Interior...

I plan to make a couple vids or a compilation like I did for the last car...if/when I do Ill post it up.

J.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 AM
FTW
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, car looks good.. This is the first time Ive actually seen a reverse split cam used by someone current on here..
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, thats badass. Good job
Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Looks awesome!

Congrats on this build J!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NICE!!! I likes it.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man I love those third gen cars. Looks great! That will be my next swap for sure. If someone has or knows of a third gen for sale in the midwest, PM me.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Damn man... nice job... motor looks very much at home!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man that looks good. I may be asking you for som help with a swap down the road. I started as a 3rd gen freak before my latest LS1. I have 3 3rd gens right now and I'm looking to do a swap down the road. From the looks of were the engine is positioned a Kennebell SC would fit. Thats the swap I want to do . Looks great man. Good luck with it
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How bad is the black car? It just looks like a crumpled fender and a hood?

As for the blue car, damn thats clean. Just do me one favor, clean the Vette fuel rail covers one more time, they look dirty. Hehe.

Swap looks awesome, was the black car a Ttop car?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

man,
EXEMPLARY!!!!
incredible, the interioR looks 4th gen, but the dash looks just as good or better with the gages
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry about the black car.

But, it looks like you found avery clean replacement.

Nice work!

I love 3rd gens!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback guys! If any of you have any questions or want to see more detail pictures of something in particular let me know. I have plenty of pics. I can also link you to the build thread over on TGO that is at like 7 pages now. haha.

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
How bad is the black car? It just looks like a crumpled fender and a hood?

As for the blue car, damn thats clean. Just do me one favor, clean the Vette fuel rail covers one more time, they look dirty. Hehe.

Swap looks awesome, was the black car a Ttop car?
Ill be doing a custom set of "TRANS AM" coil covers at some point. But those look better than whats under them right now haha.

The black car... Thats a sore subject with me. haha. It wasnt terrible. In fact, I think someone could still turn it into a nice car. Just not me. It needs the chassis horns pulled alittle, and the rad support either pulled or replaced. Needs a new pass. fender. Drivers fender is ok...but needs to be worked on. Hood is trash, but I have a perfect same style hood for it. I also have an aftermarket nose that is in good shape, but its raw. So it needs to be finished. I think I even have some headlight assemblies to go on it.

I was collecting parts in order to fix her. But after all the time that Ive had her, and all the work that I put into the car over the years including the swap, I just couldnt bare to work on her any longer. I wanted to start fresh.

I plan to put her back together with as many low mile good parts that I can from the blue car, and see if someone will take her as a roller. From the firewall back she's good to go. And Ive seen MUCH worse as far as front end damage. I have no doubts that someone that is better than me with body work could make it a nice car again. Im just not proficient enough in body work and I didnt have the patience to mess with the car more. And paying someone to do it was out the question.

The best part....car still has a clean and clear title!

Thanks again guys!

J.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Again, nice work J!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!!!

Couple of crappy vids. The first one is just a cold start with cut out closed. The second is me from a stop. And the third is me slowing down to give it alittle stab again. The second two were with the cut out slightly open. Like two taps on the switch. Thats how I drive around usually.

I was taking it fairly easy. I only have 50 miles on the clutch. So I never really went WOT, and I shifted like granny. Ill take new vids when I can really romp on her.

Click the high quality link in the vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4e8Qfm0yK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKz2WCnL3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Vm-ZWMnW0

J.

Oh...and I made a strap for my cam that goes on the back of my hand. So it sort of teeters on my knuckles thats why the vid looks like Im steering like mad. Car is smooth and stable...but it beats tryign to hold the cam and drive/shift. haha.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

friggin awesome, i miss my 87 t/a, 383 6 speed ect.. lost it when my parents house burned down in 05. I looked and looked to find one in similar shape, but ended up with my 98. I def want to do a 3rd gen ls1 swap in the future. What is all needed? I know that is vauge but i could start getting stuff rounded up now.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Nice job, again! I think I like this color scheme more than the other one. I gotta see this in person once you get everything broken in. Makes me miss my thirdgen .
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lunchtray!! Whats up man! Yeah you gotta check the new ride out. Its a long way from that 305 burn out at DCCC all those years ago. haha...

Mike and I have been talkin about givin you a buzz and getting you out to WC. Hopefully now that the car is done, I can get cleaned up at the house, and Ill have more time to just enjoy the car and chill.

J.

P.S. I still have the pics of your camaro from the wreck...ugh. I keep meaning to delete them as they make me cringe.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, I still have those pics too. Let me know about WC. I love it up there. Baxters is cool during the week. Sometimes I hit up Barnaby's, Jake's, 15 North, and Ryan's. Its all about knowing who has what specials on what days. Its not too far from here either. It would be good to see you guys again. I'll bring up the Z and show you the suspension and whatnot. She's still got some kinks after putting the suspension in. I gotta pull the lower A-arms in the front as it seems that the bushings are shot (the steering wheel points differently depending on how the road is angled). These cars never leave you alone once you mod them!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you still having issues after that little accident you had awhile back??

Its funny you mention those places haha. We frequent them...a lot. haha. Landmark and spence's too. We'll give ya a buzz. We live in WC now...not sure if you knew that...

J.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Great job man!

Someday I'll finish my own swap! LOL

-jason

Quick Reply: My 2nd swap. 86 Trans AM finally on the road!