Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walbro pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Walbro pump problems

I think there is a thread on this somwere but I can't seem to find. I think I remember others having this problem. Please link me if you know where...

In my '68 cutlass I'm running a LS1. I'm using the "B" body plastic tank with the replacment in-tank Walbro fuel pump .

I've put about 1200 miles on this set-up this summer. Everything has been fine, till now...

last night after about a 15 mile trip to my sisters the car started running poorly. The gauge on my fuel rail was jumping around from normal to 40 then down to near zero then the car would die. It would re-start but nver seemed to get full pressure.

I left it over night and it starts and runs fine with full pressure but I'm afraid to trust it.

Yes, the fuel pump was making much more noise than normal. The tank is vented using the small line off the sender. I have been running on the empty side because lack of the larger vent off the top side of the tank made it difficult to get full. I fixed that problem a couple weeks back and the tank is about 3/4 to 7/8 full today.

Now what do I do? Just replace the pump and wait for this to happen again?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

I have seen a bunch of people haveing trouble with them since they sold the company.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Which Walbro is it?

Where is the pump mounted? Is it getting sufficient amounts of power?

What size feed and return line are you using?

Filter before or after the pump? What micron element in the filter?

Pretty much sounds like the pump over-heated/strain or picked up some **** from the tank, since you ran the tank low for quite some time..?!?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

There has been a lot of prolems lately with the ones used in the turbo buicks
Here is a link to it. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gen...o-failure.html

Hope this helps
Dennis
Old 08-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Launching!

this web site is nothing but help, because of other peoples problems. i read about everybodys problems, and not only does it help me, but i know it helps other as well. iam sorry to hear about the prob... so to help me, are you all talking about the in tank pump? i will be running the inline, so thats my question. any problems out of the inline. always looking for help. thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have found a problem with the internal pressure regulator kicking out. We just started to plug and epoxy them off now. We are going to be putting a bunch of laps on the sprint cars, so hopefully we can have an update for you.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

I just got off the phone with "highflowfuel" (auction id) who I bough the pump from. They have been helpful so far. He didn't seem too surpised by the failure. He reports there is no warranty from Walbro.

Highflowfuel apparently have their own brand of equivalent pump that it manufacured in Germany. They say it has a much lower failure rate and 1/2 the cost.

Anybody know about this highflowfuel pump?

Eric

Quick Reply: Walbro pump problems