Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead fuel pump

Old 09-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead fuel pump

Following on from my leaky fuel lines saga, the final issue is a dead fuel pump. When I turn the key to position 2, the pump ECU used to power up the pump, confirmed by the whirring sound. However, now I`ve re-installed everything after a trial fitting and start up 2 months ago, it doesn`t make any noise on position 2 or 3 of the key. I`ve had a test light on the + and - connections on the pump, nothing. I moved back to the fuse holder, nothing. Disconnected my wiring that joins onto the ECU output for the pump, nothing. It must have worked momentarily though for me to discover my leaks! The car tries to start but is definitely short of fuel. Also. after turning it over, when I press in the schrader valve on the fuel rail it doesn`t spurt out under lots of pressure, it sort of runs out of its own accord!
Has anyone got any ideas please?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Right, the pump runs when connected to the battery. I am now disconnecting everything again in order to see if I`ve missed a wire or sensor etc.
However, if something was wrong with a sensor/wiring connection, would the ecu prevent the f/pump from running as some sort of safety feature? There is definitely no power from the ecu on the pump feed wiring. Is there anything in the ecu that could "blow". No fuses have blown during my attempts to start it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you say there is no power from the ecu?

just something to check, (i made this mistake). are you turning the key on and then walking over to the wire and checking for voltage?

this may sound like a dumb question but i did this too, that wire only stays hot for like 1 second, and goes hot once its runnning. if you dont have someone else turn the key while you check it will appear like you have no voltage.

also did you apply power direclty to the pump wires to see if the pumps runs? that will tell you right away if itsa the pump or a problem elsewhere.

if you find you do have voltage at the ecu and the pump runs when hooked up directly to 12 volts then you need to start looking for bad connections etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Yep! Looking for a bad connection is now the last simple option which I`m going to start tonight. The pump runs when connected direct to battery. However, if I leave it connected and try to start, the engine still won`t run and acts as if it is short of fuel. There is a spark at the plugs . All I`ve done is to tidy up the wiring. It used to start/run perfectly when the wiring was a mess!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead fuel pump