Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

April fools day and all. I'll bite...Great to hear. Put the wheels and tires on and get a burnout vid!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats bro. can't wait to see it with the cold side hooked up making some down-the-block blasts.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!!! Glad to see you got it figured out! I know your happy.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Well the rough tune I had it "idling" too lean at yesterday was using Mark's old 52 lb/hr injectors, which according to the website he bought them off of are rated for 51.8lb/hr @ 43.5 psi, and I set my fuel pressure to 45 psi so entered into HPTuners the data for 50.1 lb/hr injectors (6.31 g/sec). While thinking about it at work today wondering why the hell it was still running so lean, I remembered that in Mark's tune he had the injector flowrate set at 4.91. I thought if I keep my fuel pressure the same then this lower injector value entered would open them more, run richer, possibly make my AFR better. Flashed my yesterday tune with the reduced injector flow values and started it up.. bam... idled right around 780-820rpm with 14.5-15:1 AFR and all. All I can figure is bad injector data on the website but I don't really care anymore.. it's idling good enough to make me happy enough to crack a cold frosty one and sit back for a bit
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Nice seeing it running. I can't beleive just how quiet it is. I guess that's what manifolds, a turbine and dynamat will do. Even with the pro-touring look, I think it will be a sleeper.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Joe! You posting it on April 1st I thought for sure you came up with a clever way of editing your video. But good to hear it was the real deal. Great job.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha yea I thought "how cruel could this possibly be if it runs today and then stops working later" but it ran even better after so... guess it wasn't an April Fools joke!

It will be quiet, that's the hope. Want it to be a sensible driver... possibly even something that could pass for having a 307 with restrictive mufflers??

I originally wanted it to look like "an old musclecar that some kid bought and threw rims on" and have all the performance hidden underneath and unsuspecting.. but I think the low stance will be the final straw that throws that out the window haha.

But it actually is pretty loud in the garage because there are no tips on the mufflers yet and it just bounces off the walls. I had the GoPro outside of the case to hopefully catch the sound better but I think it was too loud for the GoPro and it decided to record much less of it. It does have a bit of a mean rasp to it.. standard fair with Flowmaster mufflers I guess. I'll run this exhaust setup over the summer and then later on maybe do a full stainless 3" duals from the y-pipe and and Magnaflows and do over-axle tailpipes to dumps hidden behind/above the rear quarter panel bottoms... that'll guaranteed be a little bit louder :O

Last edited by frojoe; 04-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frojoe

But it actually is pretty loud in the garage because there are no tips on the mufflers yet and it just bounces off the walls. I had the GoPro outside of the case to hopefully catch the sound better but I think it was too loud for the GoPro and it decided to record much less of it. It does have a bit of a mean rasp to it.. standard fair with Flowmaster mufflers I guess. I'll run this exhaust setup over the summer and then later on maybe do a full stainless 3" duals from the y-pipe and and Magnaflows and do over-axle tailpipes to dumps hidden behind/above the rear quarter panel bottoms... that'll guaranteed be a little bit louder :O

Great job, I've re read most of it again hoping things stick for my build. Any chance you'll build more of those rings for the cluster?

From what I've read, you'll be losing the Flowmasters before summer is over.....Just buying M_F's alone isn't too expensive.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Here's some inspiration....
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mark: damn you... damn you.......
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Listen to that idle... ohhh yess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZAd7aqfU1Q
Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fun times.. my oil pressure sucks. 20psi cold idle 15 warm idle, spikes up to 25 when revved. New proper-size o-ring on the pickup. The problem can't be too much oil flowing thru the turbo because the compressor has a tough time spooling up at idle, simply isn't getting the oil pressure the journal bearing needs to let the shaft spin nice and easy at idle.

Just pulled the trigger on a Melling high volume oil pump. Do these roadblocks ever freaking stop?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your gauge electric?
Maybe the gauge is off or the sending unit is not calibrated correctly?

I had that happen once with an Autometer gauge that read 10 psi but it was really 30.
Maybe hook up a mechanical gauge some place in line to check it???

I have not heard one person have an issue with a stock pump to be honest.
The only issue that I have ever seen is too much bearing clearance causing an issue.
I know that my LSX engine is starting too loose pressure and I have a shimmed LS6 pump that was ported.
But, I am certain that my issue is worn cam bearings which is a common problem in the 4.8's, 5.3's etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

joe, I have to ask, since you had a no-pressure issue before... did you look at the oil system in that engine, besides the pickup o-ring? Could be the barbell restrictor in the back or something.

ps - I love the rumble from the gopro. I'd be very happy if mine sounded exactly like that. I'm listening via my phone through decent earbuds, and it sounds great - deep and mellow. And I think my favorite part about gopros is the face shot at the beginning and/or end of every video. I know I've got a few like that.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't look at the oiling system no. I replaced the o-ring with a new one and it was a nice snug fit. Oil pickup is about 5/8" off the bottom of the pan if I remember correctly, I wrote it down somewhere. I'll pull the plug above the oil filter tonight and see if I can see the barbell, although I can't imagine why it wouldn't be in there, but I guess you just never know. I've been reading up that if there isn't a barbell in there, engine would get zero pressure.. does that mean that if the barbell has a bad o-ring or seal somehow then it would bleed pressure past it?

I'm fairly confident that the sensor isn't the problem. Engine was reading around 20-30psi with the previous setup, on an Autometer electric gauge. I do have a mechanical gauge I can throw on there if space permits to be sure. Could it be possible that the main bearings are so worn that it's dropping the resistance and thus pressure down that much? I never tore the engine down but now I'm regretting it, probably should've just gone for full build when it was out. Arg.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Just pulled the trigger on a Melling high volume oil pump. Do these roadblocks ever freaking stop?
I have the Melling high volume in my 408 and it is pumping out around 50psi at idle and drops to 40psi warm. The 408 has a little less oil pressure than the 6.0 did with the same pump and o-ring. I am assuming my bearing clearances are a little larger in the stroker. These numbers are with 10w-30 oil. And no the road blocks keep coming. My little legs are tired from jumping over all the hurdles.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't look at the oiling system no. I replaced the o-ring with a new one and it was a nice snug fit. Oil pickup is about 5/8" off the bottom of the pan if I remember correctly, I wrote it down somewhere. I'll pull the plug above the oil filter tonight and see if I can see the barbell, although I can't imagine why it wouldn't be in there, but I guess you just never know. I've been reading up that if there isn't a barbell in there, engine would get zero pressure.. does that mean that if the barbell has a bad o-ring or seal somehow then it would bleed pressure past it?

I'm fairly confident that the sensor isn't the problem. Engine was reading around 20-30psi with the previous setup, on an Autometer electric gauge. I do have a mechanical gauge I can throw on there if space permits to be sure. Could it be possible that the main bearings are so worn that it's dropping the resistance and thus pressure down that much? I never tore the engine down but now I'm regretting it, probably should've just gone for full build when it was out. Arg.
If the barbell leaks it not only will lower the psi but it will allow dirty oil to bypass the oil filter. I would suspect cam bearings. Here is a diagram of the oiling path attached.
Attached Thumbnails LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova-ls1-oil.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Did you put the O-ring on the tube first or in the oil pump first? I think we talked about this a long time ago... I'm pretty sure you just don't lose oil pressure from the motor sitting there dormant... Try blocking your turbo oil feed line and idling it. Don't rev it up at all, just idle for a few seconds to see if there is a substantial increase in oil pressure.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will try that. O-ring went in pump first... was a noticeable snug fit. I remember visually comparing the old o-ring to the new one and the old one looked squished, I assumed that when I tried to reuse it (dumb idea) it was sucking air past. Oil pressure was a problem previously and after inspection I thought that the reused o-ring was likely the culprit. If turbo is allowing too much oil flow.. wouldn't compressor wheel spin very freely? Right now it's hesitating, put with a stab of the throttle it spins quick, then slowly comes back to a hesitant stop once the engine's been idling for another 15-20seconds.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You put the o-ring on the pickup tube first and oil the ring then slide in into the pump until its flush and the mounting point is flat against the pump. Thats atleast how I did it.

Quick Reply: LQ4 into a 3rd Gen/1972 Nova