Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Gen Header options

Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default First Gen Header options

Can you guys please post comments on first gen Camaro header options for a LSX conversion. I went with a BRP conversion kit and would like to know what guys have been successful with in headers for them. I am particularily interested if anybody has tried a set of headers listed for another car like the Pacesetter 4th gen headers. BRP will have a set of stainless coated headers soon but I am sure the price will close to $1k or at least in the $800+ range.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using Hooker ceramic headers with ATS plates and they work great! they are starting to gain a little surface rust around the welds which is a little annoying but i know my lt1 headers did this and never got any worse so im not too worried about them.
Attached Thumbnails First Gen Header options-oilpan.jpg  
Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody read about the BBK-1569 headers? They look like they may fit better than some custom made headers.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody using stainless works headers?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any responses you get, make sure you ask what mounts they are using and which steering box. If they aren't the exact same as what you are using, then you need to ignore that response because it doesn't apply to you.

Also, I think there are two different style of BRP mounts--the old ones only worked with their modified subframe and rack&pinion steering, and the new musclerod ones that work with stock steering and an LH8 pan. You need to specify which ones you are using. BTW, have you asked Phil at BRP what headers he's tried?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I am using Hooker ceramic headers with ATS plates and they work great! they are starting to gain a little surface rust around the welds which is a little annoying but i know my lt1 headers did this and never got any worse so im not too worried about them.
work great is relative... I can see your pic you at least dimpled them for pitman arm clearance. I'm running ATS-style plates with Hookers and had to make 3 dimples (2 steering box, 1 pitman) to get the clearance I wanted. That doesn't bother me much (other than hitting my thumb with a hammer when I was dimpling them), but some people get really bent out of shape about having to bang on their shiny new headers with a hammer.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Anybody using stainless works headers?
I am. Feel free to stop by anytime and check them out. They do have a bit of interference with the pitman arm. Nothing serious but they're not perfect.

Lance
Old 09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually i bought the set off the board and they were already dimpled haha. I didnt have to dimple it it would have cleared (barely) in undimpled form. I am using ATS plates, Hooker ceramics, 327 frame stands, and a Saginaw quick ratio manual steering box from a 69 camaro z28 (i think)

Originally Posted by Rodder
work great is relative... I can see your pic you at least dimpled them for pitman arm clearance. I'm running ATS-style plates with Hookers and had to make 3 dimples (2 steering box, 1 pitman) to get the clearance I wanted. That doesn't bother me much (other than hitting my thumb with a hammer when I was dimpling them), but some people get really bent out of shape about having to bang on their shiny new headers with a hammer.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in my68 i used car shop plates and stainless works headers. they fit perfect and cleared eveything. the only thing i didnt like was one of the bolts on my steering box wasreally close to one of the header tubes and i swapped otu the hex head bolts for allen button heads, just to make sure it couldnt rub.

now im about to put the 1569 headers in my 91 mustang and i will say the flanges were 45 bucks from gm (they come ea.) so i still spent like 400+ and i have to make um fit so in a first gen i would probobly go with either the uncoated hookers or the stainless works ones, stay away from ceramic because they all rust eventually.
Attached Thumbnails First Gen Header options-102_1693.jpg  
Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

I have a Nova but the frame is the same and I'm using Transdapt plates and Stainless Works headers w/ factory steering. Had to use 1/8 inch washers under the motor mount to get enough clearance around steering gear box.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I have heard that 98-02 camaro pacesetter headers will work, can anyone verify that.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 72Elkytpi
I have heard that 98-02 camaro pacesetter headers will work, can anyone verify that.
i tried that route first before buying the stainless ones and the driver side collector points at and touches the frame.

and the passenger one touches the upper control arm.

so its possible but not drop in.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys I went with the stainless works from Jegs for $800. I heard that they had a price increase at the beginning of the month and jumped on it and after checking the SW web page it appears I beat the price increase by a day or two. I was going to wait for the BRP stainless setup but decided to pull the trigger after reading about the SW headers quality and using 304 stainless and there not being a need to coat them. I was not going to put on some ceramic coated headers since I had a set of Hookers that rusted from the inside and for the prices we are paying it seemed that a little bit extra for a lifetime warrenty on a stainless set is well worth it. A note on the BRP kits. I am using the new kit. I spoke to both Shawn and Phil and the kit is supposed to place the motor just like the old kit with 327 hats. I was just going to go with the old kit but they supposedly stopped making them since I had the hats already. I decided that I wanted the accessories to be in the stock location after my experiences with regular SBC stuff which was a major factor in the decision to go with the BRP kit. I could have saved some $$$ by using my trans mount with the tab cut off and reversed and may still ask for a refund but I need to get under the car and finish tightening the mounts. I do have pics if anybody is interested PM me.

Search this Thread