Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob here '04 LQ9...is this a good price???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob here '04 LQ9...is this a good price???

Hello, I'm starting to collect parts for my LSx engine swap into a 64 malibu but I need some opinions.

I was looking at getting a 01 LQ4 w/100k on it no accessories w/intake and coil packs for $1000. The guy at the yard said he has a 04 LQ9 with 82k with all accessories, harness, starter, CP's, and PCM for $1650.

Do you think its worth the extra cash for the 04? I plan on doing a carb setup with no AC.

Last edited by first64; 09-10-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Have you checked car-parts.com? There are lots of engines out there.Seems like lots of miles on both of them.Check out my 65 Chevelle thread.Go with EFI !
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 65SSZO6
Have you checked car-parts.com? There are lots of engines out there.Seems like lots of miles on both of them.Check out my 65 Chevelle thread.Go with EFI !
I used car-parts.com, prices are relatively the same in my area, I could save a few bucks going way out of state but then I have to pay shipping so it would have to be super cheap and then I would have to take someone's word for what I was getting.

I was looking at a easy setup, that's why the carb. I don't know how to work on EFI.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by first64
I used car-parts.com, prices are relatively the same in my area, I could save a few bucks going way out of state but then I have to pay shipping so it would have to be super cheap and then I would have to take someone's word for what I was getting.

I was looking at a easy setup, that's why the carb. I don't know how to work on EFI.
My suggestion would be to call any and all yards within a distance you'd be willing to travel, even if they dont show any LQ4/9's available cause many times they get stuff come in faster than it gets listed and you can jump on it early.

Also, if you want to save a few bucks and also get lower miles, you might look into the LQ4 and mill the heads to make up for the compression difference.

One last thing is, ask some of the places that may have better deals on blocks if they are willing to ship, and find out a price.. You may be able to end up with a better/lower miles block for the same price after shipping, that you would of paid for the higher miles block down the street.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well to start the Lq9 Came After the LQ4 05+ I believe so I would double check it probably just an early Lq4. The 04 does seem a little high but usuall yard price
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Well to start the Lq9 Came After the LQ4 05+ I believe so I would double check it probably just an early Lq4. The 04 does seem a little high but usuall yard price
No, the LQ9's are available pre 05. They came in Escalades and Silverado SS' and the LQ9's are typically priced higher than the LQ4's because they are associated with Escalades.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
you're partly right LQ9 didn't start until '02 so it's an lq4.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Quote "I don't know how to work on EFI."

That is the beauty of EFI you don't have to work on it. Install it and be done with it.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Teching In

But what's involved with installing it? In tank pump, maybe a new tank? Return lines, ECM, wiring. What else?

I'm new to this Gen III stuff.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by first64
But what's involved with installing it? In tank pump, maybe a new tank? Return lines, ECM, wiring. What else?

I'm new to this Gen III stuff.
go with a harness from painless or have one built for what you want and you wont have any trouble.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

You do not need a intank pump, a walbro 255 inline will work fine. Your factory tank will do fine if it is clean. Just buy one of these sending units with a return line in it. http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/i.../S-37CH238.jpg

Some say you need a sump, I disagree unless you plan on road racing it or autocross or something of that nature then you would. If you use the vet filter regulator it has the return built in it. Simply mount it close to the tank and you still only have one line going forward to the engine bay. There is only a hand full of wires you have to connect on the factory harness to make it run. You can buy a DIY fuse& relay panel from http://www.ez2wire.net for 109$ to make the factory harness a stand alone. Or you can spend a little more and get a harness already made.

You’ll also need one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TCC-B...spagenameZWD1V

This guy Jesse will tune it and do all the deletes for 84$ includes shipping.
http://wait4meperformance.com

I suggest you buy a complete pull out with everything included harness, ecm, etc etc. I would also suggest you buy the trans with it as a package. Cost more up front but is very easy to do the swap.
Good luck
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cost of putting on the accessories can really add up. The 04 might be the better deal if you can use the truck stuff without modification. What you don't use you can sell and get some $$ back. Harnesses are expensive, so if you go EFI make sure you get an uncut harness with the motor.

If you go EFI you will need some type of sump and return lines. You will also need some way of modifying the programming. Need to delete VATS, secondary O2's, things like that. I personally don't believe in paying people to do things like that for me, so that means buying some sort of tuning software and having something to run it on next to the car.

Not unlike a carb, there is a good bit to do to get EFI to work.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Ok, this is a great start. I'm trying to run the numbers for both setups... if I went EFI what cam swap is recommended and what's it run cost wise? Can I keep the truck intake. I don't believe hood clearance will be a problem. I was going to run the GMPP Hot cam with the carb setup (450tq, 483hp).

It's looking like EFI cost less then the carb (without selling of parts, which wouldn't be much)
Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

I just picked up a 69k lq9 for my camaro for 850. It's all in who you know and how well you can talk.

Quick Reply: noob here '04 LQ9...is this a good price???