Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans options

Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans options

hey guys, i have a project in mind i've been kickin around in my head, but i need a trans to make it work. anyone know of a manual transaxle that could bolt up to an lsx block and handle 500-600 lb-ft? i want this to be reliable, and a small package will be critical i think. any ideas?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Launching!

what do you want to put it into?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Are you looking for a longitudinal transaxle (ie mid engine) or a transverse transaxle?

'JustDreamin'
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche G50 out of a Porsche 930... is used a lot for mid-engine Transaxle cars.. with SBC/BBC...

I think the GT40's used them also
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
Porsche G50 out of a Porsche 930... is used a lot for mid-engine Transaxle cars.. with SBC/BBC...

I think the GT40's used them also
The G50 variants are used in alot of mid engine kit cars (GT40, Ultima, for example). But they've also got to be flipped, and additionally modified (especially to get near that power range). And the strong ones (Turbo units) are pretty pricey to start with, just as a core. They are definitely not cheap. I've seen folks talking about spending in the $8k to $10k range for finished units..

And even at that $$$ level, I don't know that the G50 will take 500 to 600 ft-lbs reliably. And the other mid engine options (I know of a couple other options used by GT40 replica guys) are weaker still (not a good choice either).

But the OP hasn't posted whether he needs a mid engine transaxle or a FWD transaxle. I hope its not FWD, cause I don't think there is a solution for him. (maybe adapt the chain drive portion of the old Toronado transaxle to a manual?)

'JustDreamin'
Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

How much does the car weigh?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

well, i'm just starting to plan out if i could make a third gen f-body a mid engine 6.0 l awd. if i can find a mid-engine trans, i think i might be able to ditch the back seat and make it work. might have to go t-56, but i thought there might be a transaxle that would be a bit more compact and that would act as an integrated transfer case. but if i turbo the 6.0, i want to be able to drive it without blowing up the trans all the time.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well, that's an interesting concept.

Sadly, there isn't alot of readily available hardware to do it with.

Another note: The T56 was never offered in a 4wd version. What that means is that in order to run a transfer case with a T56 you either need to do a divorced transfer case OR you need to build a custom tailshaft for the T56 that has a mounting flange for the tcase. Note that the tailshaft housing on the T56 houses the overdrive gearset, so it's not exactly an easily made part.

I think there may have been an AWD G50 variant. However, it doesn't do you much good, because in order to run a G50 in a mid engine, they have to be flipped (engine in a Porsche is behind the axle, so you flip it front to back, and then flip it over side to side to get the correct rotation) So the AWD output would be headed out the back bumper. The flipping is what makes the conversion expensive, you have to re-engineer the oiling system.

And not to rain on your parade, but if you're going to go through all that work, why try to make it look like a 3rd gen camaro? It'd probably be easier to build a custom tube frame and hang some form of bodywork on it (fiberglass, aluminum, steel, jello) than to work around the limitations you'll have with the GM platform.

Just my $.02

'JustDreamin'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trans options