Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silverado Fuse Block/wiring help wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Silverado Fuse Block/wiring help wanted!

Hey guys im considering the truck fuse block option of running my 5.3L in my 65 mustang and have a few questions.

1. How much did you pay for yours? My salvage yard wants $150 for the fuse block, plus another $150 for the engine wiring harness. Reasonable?
2. Where is the computer located on these trucks? Looking over some of them it seems as if its either under the hood or under the dash, clarificaton would be great.
3. The computer has its own wiring harness that runs to the fuse block, correct? The way im imagining it is that the fuse block is in the middle of the wiring, with the power coming from it. (Kinda like a " T ")
4. Would it be easier to just cut out the connectors I need, plus the fuse box, then just solder new wires in with the lengths I need?
5. If I run an electric fan off of the fuse box, does that power the electric fans or should it go to a relay? What kind of load can the wire handle? Or is it an easier and better Idea just to run an external controller? (I actually already have one, but it would be a cleaner install w/o it)

After just getting back from the salvage yard im starting to think it might be a better idea just to go with an aftermarket setup, since it would probably run around $400-$500 for all the wiring and the computer from the salvage yard. In the end though I have alot more time than money, since Im in college and have alot of free time between school and work.

Also another question that doesnt involve the fuse block; Does anybody run the moroso Aluminum fuel line?

Will it handle high pressure EFI? Its alot cheaper than braided line, plus I think it would make the underside of my car look cleaner. Any help would be great, thanks guys. Its ridiculous how much time I spend on this site! Normally im just a lurker though
Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

1.) I dont think it's reasonable. Heck, you can make your own for a lot less.
2.) I don't know
3.) Yes. There are wires going to the computer that need power.
4.) Rather than cut the connectors off you want, just buy new ones with the number of spots you need.
5.) if you get an underhood fuse block, it will have fan relays in it as well. Everything that uses juice will come out of the fuse block one way or another. It WOULD be cleaner without an external controller, the computer will control the fans perfectly.

I would worry about corrosion on aluminum line if it's a daily driver.....it can handle the pressure, I'm sure about that.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For your answer to number 2, check on the drivers side fenderwell. I think there is a box there with it inside. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

sent you a pm btw. The pcm is located up near the firewall on the drivers side

Quick Reply: Silverado Fuse Block/wiring help wanted!