Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuses, Relays, and Solder.....Oh my

Old 09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuses, Relays, and Solder.....Oh my

I'm working on hardwiring the LS1 harness this weekend. I have the relays and bases, I am headed out to pick up some Painless fuse blocks.

The 98 wiring pdf's I got show the fuses AFTER the relays......I want the fuses BEFORE the relays, correct? Fuse the wire coming in to the relay. The Air-Ride relays I got have the incoming wire fused........I guess it might not matter.

How did you guys do it?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always fuse before a relay, that way if anyhting could ever short or go wrong its dead from the fuse forward.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that's what I thought. If something goes, it will not take the relay....I suppose though, if it pulls too many amps through the relay BEFORE the fuse, could it take out the relay LIKE a fuse????? Hmmmmmmm.............
Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not really. the way i see it. its kinda like pulling the plug. if you fuse a crcuit at the very beginning you can do whatever you want down the line. like say its a 20 amp circuit you can put a 20 amp fuse in it and use a 30 amp relay. any parts of the circuit that are overkill are still going to be protected by whatever limit you set with your fuse.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would prefer to fuse before the relays for that reason.......however I don`t really see a big difference. IIRC GM fuses after the relays anyway.

On my conversion I fused after the relays because it was the only way to get the proper size fuses. IE: the front and rear O2 sensors are run off the same 30A relay, The circuit branches after the relay to 2 15A fuses and then to the 02`s. same with the other relays (One powers the odd coils and injectors and the injectors and coils each have their own fuse after the relay.)
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....82&postcount=5

I'm going off of Crisp3's diagrams here, they are after relays.....it looks like. G-body, looks like yours with the ign branched off 2 ways after the relay.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Fuses should be as close to the power source as possible. Over current through a relay could start it on fire in a worst case scenario, not good.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, I wired it so that my circuits branch after the relay. Each relay powers 2-3 circuits. and each circuit is individually fused.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Ah yes, I am thinking of it wrong. With a relay, it would be the NEW power source, not the battery. My brain is gonna smoke. hehehehehe.

I guess that's fine, as long as it's not my wiring job.

BTW, I LOVE crimping metri-pack crimps. NICE. I used to love my Craftsman open barrel style crimpers, but these new connectors with the metri-pack style are just plain awesome.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Ummm, you might want to fuse the circuit after the relay, since it's the high amperage side with the device that's actually drawing current; but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by loweredd
Ah yes, I am thinking of it wrong. With a relay, it would be the NEW power source, not the battery. My brain is gonna smoke. hehehehehe.

I guess that's fine, as long as it's not my wiring job.

BTW, I LOVE crimping metri-pack crimps. NICE. I used to love my Craftsman open barrel style crimpers, but these new connectors with the metri-pack style are just plain awesome.
The power source is always the battery or alternator, the relay is just the switching device
Old 09-19-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Well dang you two.......I guess it's gonna be a tug-of-war.

Ready

Set

GO!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
The power source is always the battery or alternator, the relay is just the switching device

Yes, the battery is the source, but the relay adds an independent switching circuit (i.e. Path to ground) to the primary circuit. (The device is also grounded.)

This reason most high amp circuits ( e.g. Lights, starter, horn, etc.) require relays is to keep the current draw below the limits of the switch (i.e. Protect the switch.) Here's another logic test; let's say your headlamps spec a 20 amp fuse; fusing the switching to circuit will have no effect since the lamps are on the primary circuit. (i.e. With a 1.5 amp fuse on the switching side the lamps will run all day.) My advice would be to fuse (circuit breaker) the primary circuit, but as said before, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

OK, new question......on my switched wires to my 5 relays, can I chain one to the next? I am using my factory firewall junction, and will run a seperate constant for each relay, but I'm stuck on this....I know the switched portion of the circuit just turns the relay on, so it doesn't really need that much juice....a 14ga from one relay to the next with a wire off of the last one to the key switch?

Maybe I should go to bed for the night, and work on it in the morning. LOL.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Try this link for relay wiring hints...

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loweredd
OK, new question......on my switched wires to my 5 relays, can I chain one to the next? I am using my factory firewall junction, and will run a seperate constant for each relay, but I'm stuck on this....I know the switched portion of the circuit just turns the relay on, so it doesn't really need that much juice....a 14ga from one relay to the next with a wire off of the last one to the key switch?
Daisy chaining will work fine for that and is a lot cleaner than making 4 splices or 1 huge splice.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Rodder, if I wouldn't have fallen asleep last night, I was just gonna go out and do that. LOL.

Do you think I would be OK to do that on the constant battery supply too? My thinking on that would be I should do each seperate becuase of the amp draw once the relay is in use.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't each of the battery inputs to the relays going to be fused individually? Like 2 - 15 amp circuits for the INJ1/ING2.

I wired one large 8ga to a 6 port fuse block. Then each fused circuit leaves the fuse block to the specific relay.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All circuits are fused with either a fusible link or single inline fuse, A relay is a way of controlling a circuit remotely. Imagine if we had to run all large gauge wire to everything in the car, IE column, radio lights? Large power sources such as relay feeds should be battery protected with a fusible link or large maxi fuse...... Individual components after relays should also be fuse protected and circuit isolated when possible, by doing this it makes tracing a short alot easier by narrowing down the circuit/component failure....
Just a random thought from my half functioning brain today.....
Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

I have them wired up except for the 12V constant supply TO the relay. I will run those through the stock firewall junction, and I was planning on sticking a few inline fuses in there. I fused all 7 circuits AFTER the relays, just like Crispy3's diagrams.

Heck, I ran the whole LT1 through just the key switch last time. No relays.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuses, Relays, and Solder.....Oh my