Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone made custom coolant lines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone made custom coolant lines?

I made the long coolant lines for my mid-engine track car this weekend using 1.5" steel tubing. I now need to form a bead on the end of each tube to keep the rubber hoses from blowing off. I know I have seen a tool to do this that is similar to a muffler expander. It fits into the tube and has a half round protrusion on it. When you rotate it in the tube, it forms a nice bead. The problem is I can't seem to find one anywhere. I searched the net for an hour. Does anyone know what I am talking about and where to get it? Any other ideas?

Thanks
Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try looking to see if there is a Tube and Hose shop in your area, like someone that builds or repartss A/C, Brake tubing and hoses, also try Hydraulic shops, like for big rigs and farm equipement.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your looking for a bead roller.

Ryan
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Fabr...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...rd=bead+roller

I read a few forums online that people are buying one from Harbor Freight, and bracing it so it works better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93364

And this guy made a crazy stand for one.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=137858
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Heck, Summit has one on Ebay too. They all look the same.....could be different paint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Woodw...mZ220284179763

I don't know why a good hose clamp wouldn't work though. When I had the LT1 in my Impala, I had 1 1/2 exhaust pipe as my upper lower hose, and I didnt bead roll it. It worked fine for 2 years.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually have one of the rollers, but I don't think the rollers will fit inside the tubing. That is why I am looking for the tool that fits inside the tube and it rotated with a wrench/socket. I will double check my roller tonight, but I really don't think it will fit.

Thanks again,
Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

found it man!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken,

I made my own beader for 1 1/4" stainless tubing for my mid-engined application. You can buy one (much easier than making one) from Summit; it's an Earl's product.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...alse&N=700+115

http://www.holley.com/types/Earl’s%20EZ-Beader.asp

Andy1
Old 09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Teching In

That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew I had seen it before, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. Thanks again for the help.

Andy1,
Do you have any pics of the one you made. I am interested in seeing it. Did it have any problem with the stainless? I am thinking I can use the Earl's one on mild steel if I heat it up.

Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BB69
That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew I had seen it before, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. Thanks again for the help.

Andy1,
Do you have any pics of the one you made. I am interested in seeing it. Did it have any problem with the stainless? I am thinking I can use the Earl's one on mild steel if I heat it up.

Ken
Ken,

The stainless was surprisingly easy to bead. I bought the tubing from McMaster-Carr.

Andy1
Attached Thumbnails Anyone made custom coolant lines?-beading-tool.jpg   Anyone made custom coolant lines?-beaded-tube1.jpg  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Ken,

Forgot to ask: What is the wall thickness of the steel tubing?

For thicker walled tubing for coolant lines, I machine a short stub (1 1/2" long) with a barb machined into it then TIG weld it to the tubing.

Another thing I do for steel tubing, is to POR-15 this inside. Tape the end real well and pour in about a pint of POR-15. Tape the open end and move the tube around so that the inside is coated, then pour the rest out. I did mine in the heat of the SoCal sun, and it dried in about 2 hours.

Andy1
Old 09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Teching In

The tubing I bought is .065" I believe. It was the thinnest the metal place had. I didn't think to ask a muffler shop.

Have you ever looked inside a tube after using it for a while to make sure the POR-15 is not coming off? I ask because my experience with POR-15 is that it bubbles up if there is any grease/oil on the base metal. I have no good way to clean the inside of the tube. The only thing I'm thinking is to to pour some of their metal prep in the tube first and let it soak. I would hate to ruin my electric water pump because the POR came off. Do you really think it's an issue when running 50/50 coolant/water mix?

Ken
Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by loweredd
I don't know why a good hose clamp wouldn't work though. When I had the LT1 in my Impala, I had 1 1/2 exhaust pipe as my upper lower hose, and I didnt bead roll it. It worked fine for 2 years.
Why risk it over something that takes 5 minutes? My radiator hose let loose once when I was in 2nd gear making a nitrous pass on the street...It wasn't fun(well, it was) when the tires got sprayed with coolant.

Last edited by b00sted; 09-22-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

It would be good peace of mind I suppose. I might have to get one of those.....
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BB69
The tubing I bought is .065" I believe. It was the thinnest the metal place had. I didn't think to ask a muffler shop.

Have you ever looked inside a tube after using it for a while to make sure the POR-15 is not coming off? I ask because my experience with POR-15 is that it bubbles up if there is any grease/oil on the base metal. I have no good way to clean the inside of the tube. The only thing I'm thinking is to to pour some of their metal prep in the tube first and let it soak. I would hate to ruin my electric water pump because the POR came off. Do you really think it's an issue when running 50/50 coolant/water mix?

Ken
Ken,

I did clean and degrease the inside of the tubing before the POR-15. Pre-painting prep fundamentals, as they say. I have looked inside a painted tube, but it only had maybe 4 or 5 hours on it (them). You're probably right in that it's not likely you'll have corrosion issues (especially if you're diligent about keeping fresh coolant in the system) as most specialty cars don't see a lot of mileage anyway.

Here's the McMaster-Carr P/N for 1 1/4" x .049 Wall 304 Stainless tubing (annealed) in the photo: 8989K43
1 1/2" is also available; not really that expensive and it can be polished nicely for cosmetics. Limited to 6 ft. sections.

Andy1

Andy1
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have a welder? Lay a bead around the pipe. Works the same way, all its doing is giving the hose clamp something to but up against when the pressure is trying to pull (or push) the hose off the tube.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken,,,
I've looked into this a bit before,,, a suggestion was made to visit a radiator shop and see if they might be able to bead it.

Good Luck...

Quick Reply: Anyone made custom coolant lines?