Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transaxle for a 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transaxle for a 6.0?

I'm considering building a buggy with a 6.0 I have but I'm not sure what to look for for a transaxe?l porsche is to expensive and I'm not sure a vw could hold it I'm planning 400 to 450hp with it and I'm not looking to break the bank in doing it they are already broke. just wondering if there is any out there that I might not have considered. I'd like to keep i would like to keep the motor mounted length wise in the chassie also don't want to turn it sideways
Old 09-25-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Check the transmission forum. There was a discusssion about swapping the input shaft on a vette T56 transaxle and mating it directly to an LS motor.
You'll have kind of an unusual mid engine buggy.
Originally Posted by dogger
I'm considering building a buggy with a 6.0 I have but I'm not sure what to look for for a transaxe?l porsche is to expensive and I'm not sure a vw could hold it I'm planning 400 to 450hp with it and I'm not looking to break the bank in doing it they are already broke. just wondering if there is any out there that I might not have considered. I'd like to keep i would like to keep the motor mounted length wise in the chassie also don't want to turn it sideways
Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know of any transaxles for mid engine applications that can hold V8 power (and more specifically the torque) and aren't expensive (at or above the cost of the Porsche units). Alot of the cost of the Porsche units is caused by the need to change gearsets (for ratios more appropriate for V8's) and flip them (for a mid vs rear engine configuration), and then address the oiling system once flipped (or they don't last all that long).

However, the place I'd suggest looking is some of the kitcar related forums, specifically, the GT40 one's. I remember some folks on there investigating if there are production non-Porsche transaxles that might come close to the right hp range and be more affordable than the Porsche stuff. I'm thinking there were a couple of Renault boxes that "might" be close.

The Vette T56 close coupled to the LSx (no torque tube) is certainly closer to an affordable solution, but the packaging is still wrong for a mid engine vehicle. The drivetrain you end up with is still way too long.

EDIT: Did a little searching around.... Check out this link: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/vendor-ma...transaxle.html A brand new V8 power level 5 speed transaxle!

'JustDreamin'

Last edited by 'JustDreamin'; 09-25-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Getrag 6MTL380

http://www.getrag.de/en/241

AKA Porche Boxster S trans, they are on ebay for about 2 grand

look at the first 2 pictures

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...ats-trans.html
Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Might be hard to find but an old TH-425(almost all of the internals as a TH-400). Found behind 66-78 Toronados and Eldorados. I used to have a 69 Toronado, lol. Use an adapter plate for the bellhousing and the 4L80E crank adapter for the torque converter.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there was a thread about the same subject before.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+power+adapter
Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Many people have talked about mating a T56 Vette transaxle directly to the engine, but I haven't seen anyone do it. There are two problems: The first problem is that the shifter comes out the front face of the trans. It would run right into the back of the engine. Number two, it is extremely long. I am building a mid engine car right now using the Vette 4L60E mated directly to the engine. My wheelbase is about 119", and there isn't much room to spare. Mongoose Motorsports makes a Corvette GTP replica with the same drivetrain, and they were able to shorten the wheelbase to 107". To do that, they run offset CV joints, and the drivers' feet are at, or in front of, the front axle centerline. The T56 is a couple of inches longer than the auto, so your car would only get bigger.

The Toronado transaxle will hold the power, but it will weigh a ton. It's not a compact packaga by any means.

Your other options are Corvair transaxle using a kit to mate it mid engine. Do some research on the net and you will find a few examples. Use an Audi box. Many of the GT40 guys use this, and they say it will hold up to 400HP with a few modifications. They are becoming harder to find though. Use a VW type box. These range from stock, all the the way up to sequential boxes costing over $10k. Mendeola is the leader of the pack for VW style transmissions for use in the sand. There are plenty of twin turbo'd LS buggies out there, and they are pretty much all using Mendeola trans'. However, a modified VW bus trans would probably hold depending on how you drive it.

Good luck,
Ken
Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check with some of the off-road and Sand providers:

http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/homepage.php

http://www.fortinracing.com/transaxles.html

Pat
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Audi 5000t 5 speed will hold all the power you will need it too. The box stock will hold about 400 hp and roughly the same torque before you run into issues. The audi 5 cylinders turbos were torque monsters and the boxes are cheap and if you get a new enough one are cable operated. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

thank's for the info. I look into some of the options mentioned and I think the th 325 4l which is what the tornado went to after 78 is going to be my best option. I'm not looking to a mid engine but a rear engine design but I didn't mention that. the 325 will allow me to flip the final drive and mount it in reverse with the rear motor to keep the design I want' it is a little heavier but isn't going to be a problem as I will have the weight on the rear axle. planning on a simple two seater and would love to get it around 1200lbs but it might be heavier then that.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Why not the LS4? It's all right there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#LS4

--JMarsa
Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Default 5.3 L is about all you can get from the LS4

A good choice, but the OP was looking at 6.0 L.

AIR, the LS4 uses an "odd ball" short crank -- so it's gona be spendy (but not impossible) to get larger displacement. "There is no replacement for displacement"!

Quick Reply: transaxle for a 6.0?