Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec 5700 swap

Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 5700 swap

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the site. It doesn't seem like there is much information on swaps involving this engine. I am swapping it into a 1968 Chevelle that currently has a 1972 SBC 350 in it. Since the Vortec 5700 is basically a first generation small block, I know everything will bolt in just fine. I am most concerned about the wiring though. I might be very wrong, but I was thinking that since the computer and EFI is all under the hood and self contained that the wiring is not going to be overly complicated. I am not sure where to begin though with the wiring. Any help that can be given will be great. As it is now, I am in the process of dealing with the fuel lines and getting a new fuel tank from a B-body car right now.

I am going to be learning lots thru this project and will be asking lots of questions. Does anyone have any advice on the wiring and the easiest way to figure out which wires are needed and which ones need to be spliced? One suggestion that I was given was to get the bulk head connector from a 97 truck for under the dash and splice it into the wiring, replacing the one that is already in my car. To me, this doesn't seem necessary. I thought it would be easier to find the correct wires for my dummy lights and just splice into the 97's harness and wire it directly like that. Any input?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would start by getting a helms manual for what ever vehicle the donor motor came from . It will tell you what all the wires are for.

That plug is probably not necessary as only a few wires will have to run inside the vehicle.

Re'
Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I would start by getting a helms manual for what ever vehicle the donor motor came from . It will tell you what all the wires are for.

That plug is probably not necessary as only a few wires will have to run inside the vehicle.

Re'
The motor is from a 97 Tahoe. What is making sense to my brain is that I will basically only need to splice the few wires that will run into the car. The rest should stay within the Tahoe's original wiring and just hook to the battery, alternator, starter, etc and then I will be able to keep the Chevelle's original wiring. That way there is no need for splicing on the headlights, taillights, etc. Does this seem to make sense, or am I missing something?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The harness for the EFI and the body harness should be totally seperate for the most part. As you said only a few wires will need to pass to the body harness. But unless you can get an accurate pinout of the EFI harness I would still recomend a Helms manual because the factory ECM is tied to nearly everything and there are several wires that require a ground and battery power, as well as wires that ran from the original vehicles underhood fuse block to the injectors, sensors, etc.

Good luck with your swap.

Re'
Old 09-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that I have a decent idea ahead of me on the wiring. As it is right now I have the complete harness. No wires have been cut at all, so if there is a ground, i'll have a ground wire that is screaming "BOLT ME DOWN TO SOME BARE METAL!!!" I'm getting more excited now to do this. I chose this as my first swap since it seemed so straight forward. Maybe my next swap will be an LSX swap or something!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other then the mechnics of making it fit, the swap would be the same as an LSX swap. I could mst likely help you out with some of the wirig diagrams, i know I have factory electronic version of 98 and it should be the same. i should have aftermarket prints for your year. Are you planning on keep the injection and original PCM? What about the tranny are you running an automatic or stick? if you're going with an automatic are you updating to the 4L60E, since your throttle body has no pervision for your TV cable?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Other then the mechnics of making it fit, the swap would be the same as an LSX swap. I could mst likely help you out with some of the wirig diagrams, i know I have factory electronic version of 98 and it should be the same. i should have aftermarket prints for your year. Are you planning on keep the injection and original PCM? What about the tranny are you running an automatic or stick? if you're going with an automatic are you updating to the 4L60E, since your throttle body has no pervision for your TV cable?
I'm looking for a 4L60E to swap in. I think I've found one, but I need to go look at it. Also, I'd love to swap in a stick, but I'm not sure which ones would fit. T-5's are really easy to come by, but I don't know if it will work. T-56's are out of my price range. I will be keeping the injection and PCM.

I'd love to have any wiring diagrams you have available. My email address is livyx@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You probably won't find too much information here...after all this is ls1tech.com not l31tech.com
Here is most of the information you're going to need (great site with tons of great swap info, can't remember the owner's name/username (brendan maybe?) right now but he's posted plenty of projects here and deserves all the credit):
http://www.lt1swap.com/1999_vortec_5.7/index.htm
http://www.lt1swap.com/1996_vortec_5.7/index.htm

This is a great place for the L31 guys
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewfo...3861deba8e4125

Should be an easy swap overall...hope this helps
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by livyx
I'm looking for a 4L60E to swap in. I think I've found one, but I need to go look at it. Also, I'd love to swap in a stick, but I'm not sure which ones would fit. T-5's are really easy to come by, but I don't know if it will work. T-56's are out of my price range. I will be keeping the injection and PCM.

I'd love to have any wiring diagrams you have available. My email address is livyx@yahoo.com

Thanks.
If you're looking for an overdrive stick, you could use an NV3500 from an S10 as long as you don't plan on hammering it.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 350SS
You probably won't find too much information here...after all this is ls1tech.com not l31tech.com
Here is most of the information you're going to need (great site with tons of great swap info, can't remember the owner's name/username (brendan maybe?) right now but he's posted plenty of projects here and deserves all the credit):
http://www.lt1swap.com/1999_vortec_5.7/index.htm
http://www.lt1swap.com/1996_vortec_5.7/index.htm

This is a great place for the L31 guys
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewfo...3861deba8e4125

Should be an easy swap overall...hope this helps
Thanks for the info!! Lots of good stuff there!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Teching In

If you're looking for an overdrive stick, you could use an NV3500 from an S10 as long as you don't plan on hammering it.
So the NV3500 has the electronic speedo too? VSS right?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by livyx
So the NV3500 has the electronic speedo too? VSS right?
Yes it uses VSS.
Did you get the wiring diagrams OK?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Yes it uses VSS.
Did you get the wiring diagrams OK?
I did get them. thank you very much! This doesn't look so scary anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortec 5700 swap