1949 Chevy Truck with a 5.3L

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is sooo ****** cool!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Ok got the motor figured out, the wires were switched on the O2 sensors. It ran before but now it runs PERFECT. I am getting my intake Tuesday (today) and finishing that. I put the plywood bed in and the gas door cut out. Just a temp for now but enough to carry the stuff to the Hunnert and back. I do have a weird vibration that I cant figure out. Its only during driving and acceleration. It might be the driveshaft as its not at the most perfect angle about 3* off I think. Im going to raise the trans a little before I drive this weekend.

I have yet to get out on the highway and check the how she drives at that speed, but i made it to 50 on a city st and it was fine. Steering is loose but what do I expect with the stock steering and straight axle. I tightened as much as I could.

I will get some pics today and post them up soon. and hopefully get some carpet before the weekend. Matters on how much time I have and its scarce right now.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Teching In

when u get a full tank of gas through her, let us know what kinda mileage your getting
Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Teching In

I have 1500 miles now on my '53 Chevy pickup. I have averaged just under 19mpg under mixed hwy/city driving.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats awsome simple and above all funtional dependable hotrod. love the wheels and the simple paint. only thing i'd do would be a s10 front clip for control arms and disk breaks
Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Ok well on the way to the pile up I blew a tranny line. It stopped me from completing my trip. I could have fixed it within the hour but the wife decided it was fate and we had a date night (no kid) instead. I had a happy ending anyways!!

Ok here is a pic from the highway where it broke.... too funny had it fixed the next day and no permanent damage.

Its ok now. I also got my intake tubing figured out, www.intaketubing.com or something like that. Very good company to work with. now just the finishing touches. and I do believe I am going to sell the truck. I have different aspirations. and this build cost me too much and I'm not talking about cash. I lost friends who couldn't understand the fact that people don't all just "know" everything, they have to learn and sometimes advice is all someone wants. Not them to just do it, but some guidance towards success. Dont just give me the fish, teach me how to fish!

Oh well. Life goes on..

Thanks guys. Ill keep finishing it till the day I sign the title over. Probably be next year or something.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PoPo 751
I have different aspirations. and this build cost me too much and I'm not talking about cash. I lost friends who couldn't understand the fact that people don't all just "know" everything, they have to learn and sometimes advice is all someone wants. Not them to just do it, but some guidance towards success. Dont just give me the fish, teach me how to fish!

Oh well. Life goes on..

I don't wanna get too Maury Povich in here but...

Jarrad I think your referring to the way you treated every one of your friends. The losing friends during the build had very little to do with your friends, however, your behavior and the way you treated them did. I realize it is easy to become pretty involved when undergoing a big project, but to demand everything (stupid timelines), refuse to give thanks (when someone goes outta their way to build something on no measurements/specs, lets you borrow tools/trailers), refuse to payback your debts (to Randy), and constantly take without return (while still complaining that no one does anything) tends to lead people to not be interested in helping. If there is anything our friends love it is working on cool old projects, but the whole idea of hot rodding is a way to get away from the stress and hustle of regular life, not cause more problems.

You see the idea of hot rodding and helping your buddies usually involves a reciprocal effect, not just a self serving attitude. At the very least, having a drink with your buddies from time to time can be valued as much as a helping hand!

BTW I think Tonya really took the losing friends thing to heart, at least in Myspace terms...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Teching In

this isnt a public issue so PM sent.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

You made it one when you posted on here...
Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Teching In

ok this thread was about a truck not drama. If you care that much call me or something
Old 10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about the tranny line. It sure looks great on the side of the road though. Great job!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Ok so I was tired of riding around on the stock black vinyl seat that smelled like cat ****. I was also jealous of the guys from CA going down to Tijuana and getting some cheap tuck and roll. I mentioned it to a friend and he said why not call Easy E about getting some interior done by his guys at his dad's shop.

Hmmm Not a bad IDEA!!

So I drop by, talk with Easy E as my interpreter and bam his dad offers a price that well I thought was more than fair. I even made a sketch of what I was wanting, (interpretation was kind of hard sometimes) I'm glad because Easy wasnt there when I dropped it off.

I set up the deal and drop the car off on Wednesday. Today Easy calls me and yup its done. So I drop what I'm doing and jolt over there.

I get there and look inside. The seat is perfect, the door panels are better than I expected and the Headliner is amazing! The only gripe I had was the carpet. I had installed some of it and asked him to hang some from the upper firewall to hide the firewall. I wanted him to outline it with black piping around the edge. Im not a big fan of different colored piping. Well he misunderstood me and I got white, he is going to redo it tomorrow and I'll pick it back up.

The dash, well that was a freebie and I think I'm going to repaint it this winter. Ill pull everything off, sand it down, smooth it out and respray it. But it looks fine for now. Just kind of thick and no prep sanding done.

here is the before:

Here is the new!!!

And the shifter boot was from the old shifter, I am making a nice one soon.... maybe I should ask if they will sew one up for me when I get back or give me some material and I sew it up later....

Thanks for looking and I still have some plans up my sleeve.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Nicely done!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Teching In

thought you'd like it man..
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

looks bad assssss
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like Easy E's guys do nice work...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

nice truck PoPo, the 5.3 in these AD trucks is a very good combination. Your interior is killer too. I have a little less than 4500 trouble free miles on mine
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I LOVE it!!! Sa-weeeeet.

good job!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

holy crap i love that truck, the shifter is to tall for my taste though. i bought a lokar shifter too and love it. best shifter made imo!!

SWEET RIDE
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Teching In

The shifter is BAD ***. Its just at dash height!!

and I love the truck but its just a stepping stone in life I think. Im leaving now to go pick it up and drive it around.....!!

I noticed one thing on the way over to the interior shop though, it wouldnt shift into overdrive, Im going to check and see if the linkage is still tight and everything. If not I'll have to run out to a trans guy to have him figure it out. And yes there is the right amount of fluid in the trans.

JC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1949 Chevy Truck with a 5.3L