Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have a DBW harness - should I convert it or trade it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a DBW harness - should I convert it or trade it?

I bought my LS1 engine and tranny combo from a guy who buys and sells a lot of engines. I'm thinking that he might have given me a harness and computer that doesn't match the engine that I bought.

My engine is an LS1 from a 2002 Camaro and the tranny is a T56 from an 01 Camaro.

The PCM has the Service number 12586243 and Blue and Green connectors.

All the research I've done poking around this forum has indicated this computer is from a later model car and is set up for a drive by wire throttle. The engine I have is NOT set up for DBW. I will be running a cable throttle.

Is it difficult to convert this computer and wiring harness to DBC? Or should I go back and try to get a proper harness and computer?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to this!

Cheers,

Dean
Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Go and get the correct harness and PCM..

there is a bit of wiring that needs to be added/removed to get the harness correct (IAC and TPS) plus also the LS1 DBW PCM wont be happy seeing to Throttle body there and i dont think it will be able to control the IAC

Surely they should be able to exchange it for the correct one
Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all 12586243 had DBW operating systems loaded on them. They even used that PCM for 6 cylinder vortec motors. Look at the harness and see if it has an IAC connector on it
Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 04 GTOs used the computers with the blue and green connectors. IIRC that was the only vehicle (besides some vans) that was still Drive by cable. I'm using a modified GTO tune in 04 GTO tune in mine and it works great.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I don't have an IAC connector, but I do have a Throttle Position Controller module (which I found in the box with the rest of the harness from inside the car). So I'm VERY sure now that I have a DBW harness.

I'm going to try and switch it out with the guy who sold me the engine. If that doesn't work, I'll be back here looking for more advice.

Thanks!

Dean
Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY feedback (as someone who'd spent some time searching for the right DBW harness):

If you're not able to get the correct harness from the guy who sold the stuff to you, post it up in the LS1Tech 'for sale' forums! I'm sure that there's someone who'd be really happy/grateful to not have to buy it retail like I did...

Just my $.02...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Talked to the seller and he happily agreed to exchange this harness for me for a harness/computer out of a 2000 Camaro that DOES have red/blue PCM connectors. He's still quite sure that the harness I have DID come out of a 2002 Camaro, but like I said, he'll trade it in for me.

I'll post again tomorrow after I make the switch. I hope I'll end up with what I need so I can get the PCM off to PoconoJoe for some programming...

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Cheers,

Dean
Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
The 04 GTOs used the computers with the blue and green connectors. IIRC that was the only vehicle (besides some vans) that was still Drive by cable. I'm using a modified GTO tune in 04 GTO tune in mine and it works great.
I've found them in S10 blazers already and full size pickups used them, when they had 4.3's in them, along with both the full size and M vans which were all drive by cable.

Question for you, does your tuning software idenify the PCM correctly as a 12586243? or does it say its a 42?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Sorry - I don't have any tuning software
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtfastbear
Sorry - I don't have any tuning software
Thats OK, the question was meant for GA95DCMSS, since he said he had a tuned 2004 GTO PCM