Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car together, injectors not firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car together, injectors not firing

I've got an LS6 in a 944. Got the whole thing together and the injectors are not firing.

I check all the simple stuff, power, ground, batt charge, ect.

I have power at both sides of the injector. Niether goes to ground when I crank it.

I purchased a standalone ECU so there is no VATS.

Ideas?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Your injectors are stuck closed. Happened to me. What I did was applied power to one terminal with the other grounded the other one to a spare battery. Put a fuse in line with the wire you are applying power too. I tapped it on and off with the fuel rail under pressure and off the intake manifold. Make sure the wires you are using are long enough and away from when the injector that you are trying to fire. All 8 of mine were stuck. I also added some atf to the fuel to lubricate the injectors. Like 3 tea spoons to one gallon of fuel. Smokes alittle but add more fuel to dilute. Worked for me. If your injectors are shot I have a set of 98 vette injectors in great shape! Good luck!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Launching!

if it fires when you ground it....you may have a ecm issue. The ecm ground s the injectors to open them.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

I agree probably stuck injectors. Did the motor/injectors sit for a long time as you built the car or are they new injectors? We just finished a rock buggy with a 5.3 from a yard and every one of the 8 injectors was stuck. We were able to get a few of them functioning by tapping on the sides of the injectors with a tool. Something fairly heavy but not to heavy....just to enough to unbind the discs inside. If this doesnt work then pull you rail and take injectors out, remove the o rings then soak them in chemical of choice for few hours. Will be fine after this most of the time. Dont use anything too crazy to soak em in.... dont wanna ruin em with aircraft stripper. LOL
Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by turbotacoma
if it fires when you ground it....you may have a ecm issue. The ecm ground s the injectors to open them.
A multimeter shows power but ecm is not grounding. Does the signal the do this come from the CPS? How do I test this sensor?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Check that you have a good signal from the crank position sensor. The ecm will NOT pulse the injectors without that signal.

Jack
Old 10-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Check that you have a good signal from the crank position sensor. The ecm will NOT pulse the injectors without that signal.

Jack
How do I test for that signal?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

Good reading! Check the section on the Crank Position sensor. It has a diagram of the sensor. If you happen to have an O-scope, it would work best, but a DMM will work. Look for voltage fluctuation on the signal wire.

Jack
Old 10-05-2008, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wesmc
A multimeter shows power but ecm is not grounding. Does the signal the do this come from the CPS? How do I test this sensor?
A multimeter isn't fast enough to read the signal from the ECM. You need to use a noid light, or remove the injector from the manifold and see if it sprays onto a paper towel.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
A multimeter isn't fast enough to read the signal from the ECM. You need to use a noid light, or remove the injector from the manifold and see if it sprays onto a paper towel.
I tried the noid light first. It doesn't light. There is power at both sides. I tried an analog meter to look for fluctuation but seems to be constant. I'll try testing the crank sensor.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

You shouldnt have power at both sides. Sounds like you have a bad harness or something. One side should be hot all the time, but the other side should be pulsed to ground to get the injector to fire. Measure the resistance between the two terminals to one of the injectors, if there is very low resistance, i would say you problem is either harness or pcm
Old 10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Teching In

http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/LS1/Holden_LS1.pdf

Good reading! Check the section on the Crank Position sensor. It has a diagram of the sensor. If you happen to have an O-scope, it would work best, but a DMM will work. Look for voltage fluctuation on the signal wire.

Jack

Thanks for the link , I think I have a bad Crank sensor. With a good quality analog meter I have no fluctuation in the signal wire. Do the coils usually fire from the cam sensor 'cause I have spark?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redls1bird
You shouldnt have power at both sides. Sounds like you have a bad harness or something. One side should be hot all the time, but the other side should be pulsed to ground to get the injector to fire. Measure the resistance between the two terminals to one of the injectors, if there is very low resistance, i would say you problem is either harness or pcm
I will check, thanks!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Teching In

I have very little resistance across the injector. All 8 injectors open when powered with 12volts manually. By my analog meter I am getting constat power on the signal wire from the crank sensor.

I have 12v at both sides of the injector when any injector on that bank is plugged in. Since there is almost no resistance across the injector that makes sense to me. From this I am assuming the LS is a batch fire motor, is that correct?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have very little resistance across the injector. All 8 injectors open when powered with 12volts manually. By my analog meter I am getting constat power on the signal wire from the crank sensor.

I have 12v at both sides of the injector when any injector on that bank is plugged in. Since there is almost no resistance across the injector that makes sense to me. From this I am assuming the LS is a batch fire motor, is that correct?
LS style engines use sequential port injection, each injector is individually triggered at the correct time by the PCM. Each injector should have constant power when the key is on, the PCM sets the injector pulse width by applying a ground for a specified period of time. If you have 12V on both sides of the injector, you have a major issue!

Jack
Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

If you have 12V on both sides of the injector, you have a major issue!

Jack
He's going to chassis ground with his negative lead, and checking both sides of the injector harness with it plugged into the injector. He should have 12v on both sides.

Disconnect the injector and stick your two leads into the two pins. You should have 0v across the two. Then ground one lead and check for voltage on the two pins. One should be 12v, the other 0v.

It does seem like a crank position sensor problem, not an injector or injector wiring problem.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

He's going to chassis ground with his negative lead, and checking both sides of the injector harness with it plugged into the injector. He should have 12v on both sides.

Disconnect the injector and stick your two leads into the two pins. You should have 0v across the two. Then ground one lead and check for voltage on the two pins. One should be 12v, the other 0v.

It does seem like a crank position sensor problem, not an injector or injector wiring problem.
You know I thought about that after I made the post...glad you caught that..thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Teching In

I have zero voltage across the pins. I have 12volts on both pins when I go to chassis ground. I Dropped in a new crank sensor because I thought I was getting nothing on the signal wire. Nothing changed.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

I have 12volts on both pins when I go to chassis ground.
Thats with the injector plugged in, right? Disconnect it and check that you have 12v on only one side.

There are three wires on the crank position sensor. 12v, ground, and the signal to the ECM.

Disconnect the sensor and check for power and ground. Then disconnect the ECM and ohm out the signal wire.

Quick Reply: car together, injectors not firing