Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo LSX in a 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Turbo LSX in a 240sx

has anyone done, or know of one that has been done, a turbo lsx setup on a 240sx? I've seen 417 Motorsports setup but i'm looking for something a little more streetable that doesn't involve extensive front end fabrication. I know of another on silvav8forums.com, but i'm just checking to see other options.

The main reason i'm asking is to see different turbo placements and if there's ample downpipe clearance between shock towers, manifolds, and heads/valve covers.

I have a LQ4 that i'm building, but i'm not sure if I should keep it NA or try FI. I would mock it up myself an check clearances but I currently have another freshly built SR20 that i want to get tuned and dyno'd before i pull and sell it.

I've tried searching. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's all a matter of what you want. The 240s are great platforms to start with. If you want to extensively modify the engine bay, drive train, rear end, etc. then the LQ4 is a great engine to use. But, I've been reading up on these swaps alot and they require a good amount of custom fabrication (which is fine if you can do it) or if you hit up hinsonmotorsports, they have supplies for the swap, but their parts are of dubious quality, or so I hear. But, IMO stick with the SR20. I think you'll end up finding that the swap is far less of a PITA and in the end you can throw a ton of boost at it and make some serious power. With proper weight reduction and a modified SR20, I think you'll be more than satisfied with the result.

That being said, however, there are other factors to consider. First of all, what is this car going to be used for primarily? Street? Track? Drifting? Strip? etc..
Once you answer this question, I think you'll find the answer you're looking for.

There's also the cool factor of having a big v8 stuffed between the fenders of a 240. It's unique and it's pretty badass, but granted it might not be the most practical.

In the end it's your decision. Just make sure the one you make is calculated and educated or you'll end up with a pile of parts, a lighter wallet, perhaps down a significant other or two, and nothing to show for it.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

check out this thread...

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/174521...rbo-setup.html

"blu808" is developing a kit to have the LS1 run a single turbo setup on an s14.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the suggestions, but i've had 5 SR's in 8 years and i'm ready to try something new. they've been fun but also a royal PITA. I've had a stock motor from 235 whp to 330whp and my current T67 500+whp but there is absolutely no reliability once the motors have been upgraded. here's a current pic for proof

i'm planning on using the PXracing mounts. the only thing i would consider from Hinson is the longtubes, which are only the SW headers if i went NA.

Blu808 is the one i mentioned on silviav8forums.com

the car is mainly a street car that would see some drag and occasional road race sessions. not too much else, it's a toy.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

i used px racing mounts and hinson headers .... i actually used ever part px racing offered

Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Using kits is pointless and a waste of money; unless you have no fabricating skills. In that case a turbo setup would probably be out of the question also.

Made all my mounts in 1 day its not hard just takes time.

example
mount kits range from $600-1000
My mounts to make cost me $150
Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 AM

post some pics of the mounts.

Quick Reply: Turbo LSX in a 240sx