LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   newbie questions, sbc to ls conversion in my Ultima (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1069492-newbie-questions-sbc-ls-conversion-my-ultima.html)

ultimaboy 02-21-2009 03:03 PM

newbie questions, sbc to ls conversion in my Ultima

Hi All

I currently have a EFI 377 cuin sbc fitted to my Ultima GTR but i want to upgrade to a LS2 or 3?? I also want to run a Procharger with a relatively stock motor. So if you dont mind i would like to ask some questions.

1 would it be better to run a Gm ECU or an aftermarket unit??
2 wet or dry oil pan?? i hope to do some trackdays
3 is it easy to spin the inlet manifold as its necessary in the Ultima as its mid engine
4 is the LS2 as strong as the 3?? its quite a bit cheaper
5 would you go for a crate motor or a pullout?? i think it really depends on how much of the standard bits i can use.

thanks for your time, we in the UK and Europe are long way behind you guys in reference to the LS

kyle

1_bad_TA 02-21-2009 03:13 PM

Why not run the procharger on the 377?

ultimaboy 02-21-2009 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA (Post 11101443)
Why not run the procharger on the 377?

11.0 to 1 compression ratio and old technology i can also run the Procharger off boost to give decent LS economy.

rao 02-21-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ultimaboy (Post 11101405)
Hi All

I currently have a EFI 377 cuin sbc fitted to my Ultima GTR but i want to upgrade to a LS2 or 3?? I also want to run a Procharger with a relatively stock motor. So if you dont mind i would like to ask some questions.

1 would it be better to run a Gm ECU or an aftermarket unit??
2 wet or dry oil pan?? i hope to do some trackdays
3 is it easy to spin the inlet manifold as its necessary in the Ultima as its mid engine
4 is the LS2 as strong as the 3?? its quite a bit cheaper
5 would you go for a crate motor or a pullout?? i think it really depends on how much of the standard bits i can use.

thanks for your time, we in the UK and Europe are long way behind you guys in reference to the LS

kyle

I'll give it a go...

1. Without a doubt, GM. Get HPTuners or EFI Live and you will have better functionality than most stand alones.

2. Unless you really expect sustained high-gloads there is no need for a dry sump.

3. The intake manifold can be installed either way with no trouble.

4. IMHO it doesn't matter, if you are going to do a cam change, head swap or any other work to the engine they are basically the same thing (except with respect to displacement, but if you are going forced induction that doesn't really matter given the small difference in displacement).

5. I would get a pullout and make sure it has the front accessories that will fit your application. If you have money to burn then a crate motor is nice or for less money you can buy a short block and the parts you need.

Sounds like fun :).

ultimaboy 02-22-2009 03:16 AM

thanks Rob

i cant wait to get started, is the Gm ECU easily programmable??

rao 02-22-2009 06:00 AM

It is, the software it very powerful and pretty easy to use.

There are forums for both HP Tuners and EFI live and there is a forum here dealing with tuning issues.

ultimaboy 02-22-2009 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by rao (Post 11104660)
It is, the software it very powerful and pretty easy to use.

There are forums for both HP Tuners and EFI live and there is a forum here dealing with tuning issues.

ok thanks again

where can you get the software from??

dogger 02-22-2009 07:54 AM

www.hptuners.com and www.efilive.com both will require research and some studing to make full use of the programs. the ecm section on here is a good place to start.