Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propane Injection on gas motor for primary fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Propane Injection on gas motor for primary fuel

I just watched HOT ROD TV and they covered the build of Mothers Pro-Pain Chevelle. What is interesting is they finished it before HRPT 07', unveiled it drove it, and decided to re-tool it. It was originally LPG powered, they changed it to LP injection. They stated it makes more power because it creates boost before injection with no mechanical means (ie turbo/supercharger) and is colder when injected? So, my question, I've seached and haven't found any definite venders for conversions to LP Injection. I'd just like to research and learn more, maybe that could be a future swap way down the road. Thanks.

-SS

Last edited by hotrodscrap; 02-06-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You mean like the pressurized BBQ grille stuff?

Sorry, I have pictures of backing in the local home improvement store and asking for new cylinders for your conversion... "...Yep, and when we are tailgating we just turn on the integrated burners to grill brats and burgers before the game!"
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.americanaltfuel.com/category_s/43.htm
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

i know that those injectors are hugee
Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a bi-fuel conversion, only LP injection, full time. Well that's at least what they had on the Chevelle they featured, it wasn't a system that was ran partially on gas then switched to LP. Thanks for the link, I had found that one, I'm not finding anything on LP only though. Sounds like it would be a lot more efficient, and make more power as well.

-SS

Last edited by hotrodscrap; 02-06-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking into this as well. Seems there are a lot of benefits especially with forced induction. Think about it, no need for fuel pumps, very low fuel temps... Hmmm....
Old 02-06-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

make more sense to build around e85 and even then thats hard to come by on the street. u gonna have to stop at welding shops to fill up if using lp for primary fuel. lolz!
even e85 still hard to find. in most areas. around where i live its only available at some kroger pumps.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Propane conversions were popular in Canada in the 80's, so it's easy to get here.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Check off road forums. Propane only fuel conversions are popular in offroad trucks because you only need a carbed intake and many older/offroad trucks have carbs that have stalling problems on inclines. Propane allows the engine to run upside down even!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
make more sense to build around e85 and even then thats hard to come by on the street. u gonna have to stop at welding shops to fill up if using lp for primary fuel. lolz!
even e85 still hard to find. in most areas. around where i live its only available at some kroger pumps.
+1 on E85. I've always wanted to build an E85 engine but I only know of a few places to get it. ...Might still happen though.

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
Check off road forums. Propane only fuel conversions are popular in offroad trucks because you only need a carbed intake and many older/offroad trucks have carbs that have stalling problems on inclines. Propane allows the engine to run upside down even!
I've experienced the bucking and stalling - scary enough. I hope to never test your upside down theory!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just thought it was different, I'm gonna look on Mothers site for the possibility of more details. We don't have E85 down here yet either, probably take a few years to be readily accessible here in the oil belt.

-SS
Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

The big benefit of Propane is the it resists pre-ignition very well allowing extremely high compression ratios. There is a guy that races Pikes Peak Hillclimb with use each year that has a propane powered AC Cobra and he says it is wonderful becuase he affected by altitude very little and can retain good power with very high compression.

Video of the car I am talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV6gTb5FBD8
Old 02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

On old propane conversions you use a carbed intake along with a throttle plate and mixer. I think thats what the 4x4 guys use. I am talking about the non-mixed direct injected propane. Esentially the same setup as normal multiport fuel injection(gasoline) only you use propane instead.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marktainium
On old propane conversions you use a carbed intake along with a throttle plate and mixer. I think thats what the 4x4 guys use. I am talking about the non-mixed direct injected propane. Esentially the same setup as normal multiport fuel injection(gasoline) only you use propane instead.
The above AC cobra is using continuos direct injection. No carburetor.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I remember that Chevelle, but they didn't really drive it on the Power Tour, they backed it off the trailer and started it when I saw it, and they did drive it around some. They were handing out cards with all the info about it. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Default lpg conversions

try http://www.fueltek.biz/FuelTek_Conve...t_FuelTek.html. i think its a company in Denver.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Launching!

there are 2 type of propane injection, liquid or gas
both have there pro's and con's
check for the icom jtg systems from australia

http://www.australianlpgwarehouse.co...Injection.aspx

you will need a dedicated aftermarket ecu
Cooling intake temps only applies with liquid injection, both have the advantage of higher octane

you could allso use a propane mixer with a victor jr. , check for impco / ohg stuff, very low tech, but VERY reliable. (less performance to lpg injection)

google for "technocarb" this is a more performance oriented lpg mixer system
Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

http://gotpropane.com/

http://www.pacificfab.net/

The guys at Pacific Fabrication swapped a LQ4 that was converted to run on propane into a '76 K5 Blazer either last year or a couple years back so that is why I put up the link to their site.

Scott

Last edited by IH8RICE; 02-08-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got Propane is useless, they think vapoeizers are the only way to go, I talked to them a few years back about direct injection. They even posted this disclaimer on their web site now ?We do not sell kits for fuel injected cars and trucks. We don't know anyone who does. We specialize in carbureted and non smog/offroad vehicles. We also do farm and industrial equipment! "

Try this place, they claim to use the car's PCM to operate it
http://www.icomitalia.it/lang1/index.html

I'm not sure if they'll sell to the states
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by poconojoe
We do not sell kits for fuel injected cars and trucks. We don't know anyone who does.
Wow, that's flat out wacky. Great business model for those guys.

Conversions like this are VERY popular in Europe on older cars, especially carbed muscle cars in the Netherlands. I've seen several EFI installs on newer GM cars using a basically stock injection system with dry gas injectors in place of the stock units.

The most info I've ever seen was on the Megasquirt forums; there are several on there and one guy was swapping a Megasquirt ECU and LPG injectors into a 95 V6 Berretta or something weird like that.

Quick Reply: Propane Injection on gas motor for primary fuel