LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   E39 BMW 540 LS Swap Completed (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1323628-e39-bmw-540-ls-swap-completed.html)

tbird31 01-11-2011 10:23 AM

This is ballin on so many levels. A buddy of mine has a Dinan M5 and that thing is awesome. I know you said you weren't touching the exterior but I mean this does look so sick...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...t-ans-side.jpg

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-...-M5-Driver.jpg

jmilz28 01-17-2011 01:46 PM

I like the standard body but with the M5 wheels. My favorites are the ones posted above...seks...

96 WS6 01-19-2011 05:12 AM

I know that myself and MANY others would appreciate a write up of your amazing piece of work. I'm picking up my 540 this weekend I'm so excited. I looked long and hard for this one...

I have had a 96 T/A (blown, cammed etc) and a 04 CTS-V. Being able to swap an LSx in it would be my dream, the best of both worlds - LS motor and rock solid realiability in a good BMW chassis with a classy (before they got bengal butt and idrive) BMW interior and in my opinion one of the cleanest, most timeless exterior designs ever made.

Please, grace us with a writeup on the details, it would be GREATLY appreciated and would inspire confidence into me to do this myself. I have access to mandel bender, TIG welder, CNC mill, etc.

rao 01-19-2011 01:01 PM

Sorry folks, the exterior is staying as is :)

Originally Posted by 96 WS6 (Post 14381745)
I know that myself and MANY others would appreciate a write up of your amazing piece of work. I'm picking up my 540 this weekend I'm so excited. I looked long and hard for this one...

I have had a 96 T/A (blown, cammed etc) and a 04 CTS-V. Being able to swap an LSx in it would be my dream, the best of both worlds - LS motor and rock solid realiability in a good BMW chassis with a classy (before they got bengal butt and idrive) BMW interior and in my opinion one of the cleanest, most timeless exterior designs ever made.

Please, grace us with a writeup on the details, it would be GREATLY appreciated and would inspire confidence into me to do this myself. I have access to mandel bender, TIG welder, CNC mill, etc.

I rally don't have a write up or a list of parts; its all just basic hot rodding. It is not easy, but it is also not hard, but it can be time consuming. I made the engine mounts and trans mounts out of 3/8" steel and they are much stronger than necessary. from there, you have to figure out the plumbing, wiring, etc.

If you have a mandrel bender, TIG, CNC mill, etc and know how to use them then you have a lot more than I used to do the job.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Send me a PM or e-mail and if what you need is more than I can write, we can get on the phone.

mwgasman 01-19-2011 02:11 PM

Seeing this swap makes me miss my '97 540i/6 speed.

Can you elaborate on what has to be done with the CAN Bus in order to get the cluster and A/C and ABS to work? Or maybe point me in the right direction on the interwebby?

I probably missed it, but does your cruise work with the buttons on the steering wheel?

I want to do a '97-'03 wagon with an lsx in it.

rao 01-19-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mwgasman (Post 14383515)
Seeing this swap makes me miss my '97 540i/6 speed.

Can you elaborate on what has to be done with the CAN Bus in order to get the cluster and A/C and ABS to work? Or maybe point me in the right direction on the interwebby?

I probably missed it, but does your cruise work with the buttons on the steering wheel?

I want to do a '97-'03 wagon with an lsx in it.

1. ABS - nothing needs to be done to the CAN bus :)
2. A/C - this one is a little trickier, the AC switch on the BMW HVAC controls is purely networked - there i s n o analog "on" signal anywhere in the system (there are on certain model years and trim levels, but not mine) so for now I have a separate switch to activate the compressor. This is on llmy list of things to sort out down the raod.
3. Cruise - it depends on if your e39 has DBW or not. On a cable throttle car you can use the BMW controller, but it has to be recoded from an auto to a manual (in my case, which I did not do, since I had no interest in cruise).

mwgasman 01-19-2011 03:46 PM

What about the gauge cluster?

rao 01-19-2011 04:09 PM

Depending on the model, you have to recode the tach and the water temp guage.

Project GatTagO 01-19-2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rao (Post 14383232)
.....its all just basic hot rodding. It is not easy, but it is also not hard, but it can be time consuming......

That's like saying "skying is easy; just go down the hill and when something gets in your way, turn."

I bet you know what movie that is from. :secret2:

Andrew

rao 01-19-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO (Post 14385402)
That's like saying "skying is easy; just go down the hill and when something gets in your way, turn."

I bet you know what movie that is from. :secret2:

Andrew

:funny:

DoctorV8 01-21-2011 11:46 PM

Fantastic project.

I'm a huge E39 M5 buff, but one of mine (black/black 2001 M5) has a blown motor.

It has a ton of great aftermarket parts on it, and is a former Car and Driver feature car....if anyone is looking for an LS swap candidate E39, please contact me!

Doctorv8 at gmail

vsp3c 01-22-2011 08:56 PM

rao, m5board.com won't let me post for whatever reason so i'm posting here.

3 - the front subframes of the 6 cylinder cars are totally different. They make for a slightly easier swap, but really wanted the 8 cylinder rear end and the stronger 8 cylinder front subframe. People have done LS1 swaps into 6 cylinder cars with success.
can you elaborate more on this? from the little amount of research i've done, it seems that the 6cyl models use an aluminum front subframe with rack/pinion steering while the 8cyl models use a steel stamped front subframe with a steering box. how do these differences affect oil pan clearance, steering column clearance, and exhaust manifold/header clearance? also, do you think triangulating/strengthening the diff mounts on a 6cyl model would be sufficient for handling the ls1?

also, you mentioned that you removed the BMW OBC. so is everything (lights, interior electronics, a/c, etc.) running off of the GM ECU?

thank you.

rao 01-22-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by vsp3c (Post 14398545)
can you elaborate more on this? from the little amount of research i've done, it seems that the 6cyl models use an aluminum front subframe with rack/pinion steering while the 8cyl models use a steel stamped front subframe with a steering box. how do these differences affect oil pan clearance, steering column clearance, and exhaust manifold/header clearance? also, do you think triangulating/strengthening the diff mounts on a 6cyl model would be sufficient for handling the ls1?

also, you mentioned that you removed the BMW OBC. so is everything (lights, interior electronics, a/c, etc.) running off of the GM ECU?

thank you.

The 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars have completely different front subframes, steering and suspensions.

V8 - http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/02/31/38 and http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/02/25/99

I6 - http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/04/66 and http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/54/69

Pics -

V8

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4...0isubframe.jpg

I6 -

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/765...ntsubframe.jpg

The differences affect do oil pan clearance, steering column clearance and exhaust clearance ;) I don't have measurements, but the 8 cylinder subframe requires the use of a front sump oil pan - I used the GTO oil pan and notched it as shown in the pics on the first pate. People have done the LS swap with the 6 cylinder subframe and the 8 cylinder subframe - I preferred the 8.

The BMW DME is gone - it is no longer in the car, all of the other BMW computers are in the car and are working.

vsp3c 01-22-2011 09:15 PM

ahh thank you for such a quick/detailed reply!! :D

jmilz28 01-25-2011 08:08 AM

People on bimmerforums seem to rave about the handling of the 6 cylinder version and it seems the LS would be roughly equal the weight of the 6 and comes in under the 8. It seems to me some of the other systems would be a better fit (cooling, etc). Rob, did your preference for the 8cyl platform have more to do with the subframe or suspension? Would you mind elaborating a tiny bit?

rao 01-25-2011 08:35 AM

People on Bimmerforums (and just about anywhere else online) will rave about almost anything and almost any side of any issue ;)

I know from direct experience that the 6 cylinder BMW engine weighs MORE than the LS engine and the 8 cylinder BMW engine also weighs more than the LS engine. I posted the before and after weights for this car and for the 3 series swaps that I did.

For me, the weight difference is immaterial, meaning you cannot sense a difference in weight, especially not one that cannot be over come with double (or more) the horsepower and torque. Besides, people seem to think the e39 M5 handles pretty well, and it has the same architecture as the other 8 cylinder e39s.

My preference for the 8 cylinder front subframe came from my preference to its construction and the fact that I found a cheap donor car that was a V8 car. If I was looking to build another one, I would prefer the 8 cylinder car for the front subframe, larger rear diff and generally higher content of the interior.

As I said a couple of times, people have done the swap with the 6 cylinder cars ad achieved good results.

If you want to do this swap I wouldn't get hung up on this particular issue, it can work either way.

jfman 02-14-2011 10:57 PM

Im actualy jealous... and I own an e39 M5 :D

hellah fresh 02-16-2011 12:57 AM

That is a beast right there! Would you do a swap for me? $

rao 02-16-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by hellah fresh (Post 14510931)
That is a beast right there! Would you do a swap for me? $

I would but it would cost you more then you want to spend ;)

emgarcia 02-16-2011 01:48 PM

Hello rao. I have some questions about LS swap, and don't wanna open a new topic. I guess you may answer :)

I have a e34 525i, Auto.
I plan to swap that boring engine and gearbox. Actually I was thinking about M62+6speed. But yesterday I was surprised with video on youtube named e36 ls2. I guess its your one)
The problem is I live in Middle Asia, Azerbaijan. Budget plays a great role. I can get a salvage camaro z28 from copart with clean front, i mean engine, gearbox, etc. What should I do besides custom mounting? Can I use everything from z28? harness/wiring, ECU, cooling system, gearbox shifter, etc. What should I get separately from that donor? If you have some time, please.
How much time it takes if i got ready everything for swap?