Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great!!! What kind of radio are you going to install?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still trying to figure that one out... I have the old AM radio that I could use to just fill the empty space for now. I will probably have to look for a head unit that will look nice in the factory spot since my glove box is now taken. I'm not big into audio so if anyone knows any cool products that could get me some tunes in the car I would like to see my options.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dash looks great! I think there are some crazy options now where you can control everything from a smart phone or a remote without seeing a head unit.

A cheaper option, is use no head unit and run your smart phone or mp3 player staight into an amp. You could use Pandora radio with the smart phone too.

Last edited by futureuser; 04-01-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking that there must be some sort of option to play your music without a headunit, hmm... Now I would need to upgrade to a smartphone of some type but its probably time to do that anyways. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

If you didn't want to pay internet for a smart phone you could use an mp3 player (cheap) and put all your cds on there and whatever tunes your friends might have on their computers.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try this radio , I have it and am happy with it. JOHN

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do have one of those Ipod touch deals, it works pretty good.

I'm liking the looks of that Retrosound head unit. That just might be the ticket. I do enjoy listening to the radio more then my cd's/ipod and I don't need anything too fancy.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Nice build. I'm about to do one for my uncle's car. It's a '66, too, but it's a Lemans convertible that we're cloning to a GTO. He's got a pretty stout 462 in it right now but he wants the reliability of EFI via the Ls1 powerplant and overdrive via the t56. It should be fun. I can't wait to get started!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thehazz12
Nice build. I'm about to do one for my uncle's car. It's a '66, too, but it's a Lemans convertible that we're cloning to a GTO. He's got a pretty stout 462 in it right now but he wants the reliability of EFI via the Ls1 powerplant and overdrive via the t56. It should be fun. I can't wait to get started!

Great! Hope you share the build on here so I can check it out.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Great! Hope you share the build on here so I can check it out.
Of course!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Staging Lane

I just read through your entire thread and I'm very impressed with the whole thing. As I get to the last few pages, my interest is sparked even more because I've been having a hard time finding other swappers within a couple hours of me.
So all in all that gives us a couple things in common, one being that we're both from WI and two-from looking at your fabrication pictures, you must be or have an electrician in close proximity to you. I am an electrician by trade with a hotrod hobby/habit/sickness so everything here greatly intrigues me.
Either way, I am doing a similar swap in my 72 Chevelle but I'm using a 6L90E and because of that things just keep snowballing on me. One thing led to another and I'm close to replacing all the sheetmetal on the car other than the roof itself!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RJComins
I just read through your entire thread and I'm very impressed with the whole thing. As I get to the last few pages, my interest is sparked even more because I've been having a hard time finding other swappers within a couple hours of me.
So all in all that gives us a couple things in common, one being that we're both from WI and two-from looking at your fabrication pictures, you must be or have an electrician in close proximity to you. I am an electrician by trade with a hotrod hobby/habit/sickness so everything here greatly intrigues me.
Either way, I am doing a similar swap in my 72 Chevelle but I'm using a 6L90E and because of that things just keep snowballing on me. One thing led to another and I'm close to replacing all the sheetmetal on the car other than the roof itself!

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head, I've been an electrician for 12 years and my dad has also been one for 30. I'm going to have to check out your build thread, I see you have one and it looks great from what I saw real quickly. I also need to replace a bunch of sheetmetal, not looking forward to that.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

If you don't mind me asking, who do you work for? Just curious because I noticed you said that your boss didn't always have work for you. I've been one of the fortunate people in the area to have found a home at a local papermill. I don't work as a mill electrician but the company I work for does the construction management at this site so we take care of all of the T&M construction projects with our laborers, carpenters, millwrights and electricians. I went there on a one week call in January of 2004 and have been able to keep working pretty steady through the present. All in all it's been a pretty good run that I hope continues for years to come!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll PM you the company, I don't like how google search ties so many things together just from a couple of words. Basically all we do is street lighting and traffic signals, in the winter we shut down. That is why I said there isn't always work.

You're lucky that you have that gig. I've worked with a couple of people a few years ago from the Appleton local who used to be in the paper mills. Basically all that work dried up for them but it sounds like it was good while it lasted. They ended up coming down to Milwaukee to catch a call for the power plant that got built down here. I know some of them are at the shut down at the Nuke in Kewaunee that is going on right now.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Installed a reman Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box, faster ratio. Used a c5/c6 corvette high pressure hose worked perfect no need to have anything made all metric. Got a random metric low pressure hose to work perfect as well.

New steering box

What low pressure hose is it? I have the same combo of box and pump...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't remember the exact number of the one I used. When I found it I simply went to Napa's website and clicked through the categories until I got to the power steering return hose category and then looked at the pictures until I found one I thought would work.

Here is a link to a similarly shaped hose.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...713_0317318506

In case the link doesn't work the part number for the hose listed above is NPS 71713
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found this write-up online. It's for a '66, but it looks like it has lots of good info. I'm sure you could get a hold of the guy to update the photo links.

Edelmann 39106 can be used with some bulk PS hose for a little cheaper.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
I found this write-up online. It's for a '66, but it looks like it has lots of good info. I'm sure you could get a hold of the guy to update the photo links.

Edelmann 39106 can be used with some bulk PS hose for a little cheaper.

Yeah really whats up with that guy letting his photo links go bad... Jeez some people! Good info!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys...all starting to come together.

And great build! Loving those SpeedHut guages in your build, kst8engineer, and I think Chuckd71. I'm going that route as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried a while back after I rearranged my GTO photobucket folders, but GTO forum doesn't let you edit posts after a certain number of days for some reason.

PS- Man that dash turned out phenomenal.

Quick Reply: 66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT